Rear Brake Mileage

Good tip from steptoe there... I have had pad grades that have worn quickly like that and as long as the wheel moves freely when on the stand haven't been bothered too much... I am also a lover of the anchor out gearbox and have had the pad delamination under braking... Ahem... Left turn so ok after a u turn...🤣 I live in weather shitsville though so check the brakes now and again to stop the above happening again...👍

There was a time when BMW rear pads were made of cheese and lasted only a few thousand miles.

I recall a trip I organised for this very forum which required a raid on the BMW dealer in Warsaw where their entire stock of rear 1150 pads was sold to various members of this forum all anxious to change their pads.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not worried, just curious. Steppers does my servicing and its all good.

Your RT may have linked front/rear brakes but not all 1100/1150 models have them. ;)

To stop the rear caliper seizing, especially during winter months, every couple of weeks stand by the rear caliper, hold the subframe, place one foot against the body of the caliper and push.... the caliper will slide on it's pins and the pistons retract. That puts the caliper through it's full movement and prevent it from seizing.... oh, and don't forget to operate the rear brake lever a few times to reset the pads before riding off.
That's a top tip

I do it on my 1200 also, just because of Steppers tip from a while back.

ps. There are 2 pistons on the rear! Just not opposed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Note, these rear pads specific for the 1150 models at least are of uneven thickness. This is a BMW spec due to the single sided piston set-up and lack of space.
Shown are Ferodo Platinum.
e9a345cf5bca9415fcd3b1bd626e4a70.jpg

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

I get about 6k for the rear and 11k for the front, other bikes that I've had have been better, but I just presumed it was because of it being a heavy bike.

25k out of the rear pads on my 1150r with the linked brakes. I was never heavy on the brakes.
How long do your car disc pads last? Some people are use them a lot harder than others ( my other half’s daughter can trash front car pads in 12 k miles)

Similar to JonnyBoxer, on my second set of front pads, 1st set only changed as a precaution as I’d bought the new pads many years earlier. 1st set of rears lasted 6,000 when bike was being serviced by a dealer, now on my 4th set (only just through). Bike still has the original discs front & rear. 112,000 miles. As stated previously shutting the throttle on these bikes is like throwing out an anchor, hardly any need to use the brakes except in town.

Back
Top Bottom