Rear Brake Mileage

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
assuming usual riding and not dragging the rear, ragging the bike and being a knob on a bike, how far roughly (let's not go oil here) do you get from a rear set of brake pads? Looking through my service history, last pair got me a grand total of 7000 miles. And yes, brakes are serviced regularly

I used to get between 20 - 30,000 out of the rear pads on my 1100GS

yes, kinda my thoughts/memories from my 1200gs..brakes must have been dragging..I'll see the next swap as they have had a service and a caliper service kit fitted since then. Ta

assuming usual riding and not dragging the rear, ragging the bike and being a knob on a bike, how far roughly (let's not go oil here) do you get from a rear set of brake pads? Looking through my service history, last pair got me a grand total of 7000 miles. And yes, brakes are serviced regularly

About 20k a set for me

I have never fitted a set of front pads to my 1150’s

Can't remember my mileage, but I will say the BMW organic pads were rubbish and barely lasted. I tried them once then reverted to Brembo pads.

Which pads do you have fitted?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

the recent set is not BMW, they are probably Brembo (Steptoe fitted them @ 42k). Previously it was probably Brembo (34k), as price was indicative . They were serviced and new rear caliper service kit/seals at 40k. Then replaced at 42k by steppers. I am now on 46K and no issues, just thinking I should get more than 7 k now, or something is not right. I'll only know next time it needs replacing if the service kit worked, or its dragging...is

you are in town most of the time ?

Steppers will be using Ferodo.

i have no idea how long mine last , if they are needed , i just pull a set out of the BMW box and fit them.

Has anyone else fitted them for you?

Nope…I cannot recall

I don’t think I have worn any out on the front brake pads on any oil head boxer …that I have had through my ownership

As you will remember, changing down on a 11/1150 GS is like chucking an anchor overboard in terms of velocity retardation

Plus I ride like ‘driving Miss Daisy’

Nope…I cannot recall...
Just checked my service history on my 1100, it seems I changed my fronts at 16k for some reason, then never changed them again before I sold it with 68k on the clock.

3 sets in the rear during the same period.

As per Cook1e's comment.

+1 that's the next question, which will reveal a bit more

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I get 6k out of my bikes , that a GS an R and an RT, that’s with a hell of a lot of town riding and I use the rear brake as much as (perhaps more) than the front ..

About 6-7000 miles from mine EBC ones but they're not thicker/thinner like the brembo/BMW ones ..just the same thickness either side...I've changed them to ferodo ones that I had on a spare caliper that were brand new ..since getting the GS back I've only done about 400 miles but they seem to bite better than what the EBC ones did which felt wooden..will just have to see how long the ferodo ones last..

I replaced my first set of fronts at 108000km, now at 187000. Rears every 20 - 30000, although the rears seemed to
last longer after I replaced the disk.

Looking through my service history on the 1200GS I got 13400 and 13100 miles from a rear pair of pads on 2 occasions...
So I checked front tyre wear as well out of curiosity and I got 12k out of a front tyre and on the 1150 I am needing to change at 6.5k...Seems the newer bikes are more economical...

Hi. 2 points
1. The rear pads as new are 2 different thicknesses, one side wears more than the other as there is only one piston pushing. The idea i think is that they both eventually wear out at the same time.
2. When my ABS R1150RT was having its MOT, we put the rear wheel on the brake efficiency roller, and applied just the front brake. There is a fair amount of braking force at the rear when just using the front brake lever, might explain the high wear rate. I get through pads just as quick, and rarely touch the rear brake lever.
But like Timolgra says, for their cheap price, just change them regularly. A quick check for seized piston / sticky caliper pins might help (use red rubber grease for that)

Hi. 2 points
1. The rear pads as new are 2 different thicknesses, one side wears more than the other as there is only one piston pushing. The idea i think is that they both eventually wear out at the same time.
2. When my ABS R1150RT was having its MOT, we put the rear wheel on the brake efficiency roller, and applied just the front brake. There is a fair amount of braking force at the rear when just using the front brake lever, might explain the high wear rate. I get through pads just as quick, and rarely touch the rear brake lever.
But like Timolgra says, for their cheap price, just change them regularly. A quick check for seized piston / sticky caliper pins might help (use red rubber grease for that)

Your RT may have linked front/rear brakes but not all 1100/1150 models have them. ;)

To stop the rear caliper seizing, especially during winter months, every couple of weeks stand by the rear caliper, hold the subframe, place one foot against the body of the caliper and push.... the caliper will slide on it's pins and the pistons retract. That puts the caliper through it's full movement and prevent it from seizing.... oh, and don't forget to operate the rear brake lever a few times to reset the pads before riding off.

Back
Top Bottom