Internet video security camera advice wanted

tPIC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m looking for advice. My daughter has a young tortoise 🐢 that is prone to finding himself on his back and can’t right himself. This needs a bit of human intervention as I’m told that it isn’t good for them to be the wrong way up for long.

So why is this in the computer section?

I’d like to rig up a reliable, internet video camera that can broadcast the live feed of the little fella in good quality so that we can check in on him regularly. I want the live access to be free, no monthly fees. It needs to be accessible by iPhone.

Has anyone recently set up something similar to this and can offer a recommendation?

Depends how much you want to shell out.

You’ll need a live feed rather than a battery run system. I’ve a number of blink running battery and get very good lifespan but once live viewing is selected it starts to use them quickly. Let’s us know what you finally get, I’d be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know there are a million options out there on Amazon and eBay but I increasingly distrust reviews. Hence why I reached out here for personal recommendations.

I quite like the look of the TP link Tapo range, so thanks for that tip craigholt. Good prices too.

Find out the sex of the tortoise, and buy another

if its female your ok, male & female isnt ideal, nor is male & male

We have 2 and yes they end up on there backs, not so much that there older, but the smaller one knows how to flip the larger one ,

mind you he then goes to the other side and rights him lol (guilt prehaps)

Take what the ""petsperts" with a pinch of reality. its a wild animal, you dont see load of people going round looking for upside down tortioises in the wild ;)

there more resilient than you think,

Also sterile earth make a good medium for them to be on , and they can get purchase to right themselves, or wriggle to an object to use as a lever to go upright

You’ll need a live feed rather than a battery run system. I’ve a number of blink running battery and get very good lifespan but once live viewing is selected it starts to use them quickly. Let’s us know what you finally get, I’d be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can run the Blink from a usb as well.

We have two Yi cameras ex Amazon. Hard wired using USB cable, clear enough bot in daylight and night with IR. We paid £25 each. Last time I looked they were £50 but the discounted from day to day. We use a TP link sender to extend the wi fi for one and again very good quality.

We also have a Blink outdoor battery cam , but for your job a usb one is perfect.

I’ve used Yi cameras to supplement my fixed system and subsequently bought them for the family as they’ve been so good.

They have been ultra reliable and have features such as microphone, alerts for motion detection and a jolly decent app for remote viewing

They’ve been on offer at £20 but currently around about £35 ish each

Example pic …

Attachments

• 59742025-28D3-47E2-AFA4-096D6230CE2D.jpg
    59742025-28D3-47E2-AFA4-096D6230CE2D.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 126
.........or fit one of those remote control `self righting mechanisms` like they have on Robotwars.

Assuming the tortoise lives outdoors, OP will need a waterproof camera.

Their viewing angle is excellent, so positioning on an upstairs window sill will cover all but a few feet from the house. Go more left or right and the blind spot would be minimal and potentially blocked off.

I have a full 5 camera external HikVision system and you'll still get a blind spot.

Back
Top Bottom