New to me T150v

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On a whim I’ve just purchased a UK T150v 1974 vintage.
This was from a deceased estate and had been stood for a while.
Ran for a short time but now no sparks, still on points!
A bit of stripping has shown all the classic electrical bodges to be there.
I am looking at somewhere around an oily rag not a strip and restoration riding bike.
I am looking for good sources of advice for these Triples, any suggestions gratefully received!

Photos are on my phone, will load when I can get to a PC. Its got the gold black bread bin tank!
Did have worlds ugliest rack on it, now off it !

Ian , start with good earths! Old bikes earths get furred up and manifest themselves as a multitude of problems. As suggested above join the owners club / Facebook page.

Check the carb and tank, it may have had a petseal liner at some time, that will be disintegrating and fouling the carbs.

And lastly ……..enjoy.

Photos are on my phone, will load when I can get to a PC. Its got the gold black bread bin tank!
Did have worlds ugliest rack on it, now off it !

That's my favourite paint scheme for Tridents; i'am waiting for someone to put the same paint on the new Trident; the classic mags speak highly of a guy called Ferret; he always seems to be in demand so it may be hard to grab his attention; good look with the bike.

Back to basics.
Clean out the carbs and tank. Make sure the fine jets and airways are clean.
Check the ignition system well. If it ran fine then the timing should be fine. Check continuity of wiring from the battery to ignition switch to coil and points etc. Clean the point faces lightly and open by hand to see if you get a spark. Check spark at each plug by kicking over engine with plug out and earthing plug.
If you have a spark and fuel it will fire and run. 3 cylinders is like 3 individual singles.
Good luck.

Change the condensers, clean the points and possibly treat it to new plugs. Obviously, fresh clean fuel and a bit of carb tlc won’t hurt.

There's only one fuse and it's old school inline.
Take the fuse out and check either brass contact soldered to the ends of the wire haven't receded back into the plastic fuse holder and losing contact.

Had a T150v forward as my only bike before my first GS and rode it everywhere with fantastic reliability.

Get Chris Rookes book “how to restore a t150” I know you don’t want a full restoration but this book will help in many ways. He has also written a Commando book and a z1 book both of which I have and they are very helpful and informative.:thumb

Get Chris Rookes book “how to restore a t150” I know you don’t want a full restoration but this book will help in many ways. He has also written a Commando book and a z1 book both of which I have and they are very helpful and informative.:thumb
Thanks, It’s on my Christmas list, seen a lot of his YouTube stuff. Most useful.

Back in the mid 90’s I bought a basket case T160 and rebuilt it. He is probably dead now, but Arthur jakeman, the slippery Sam race engineer, rebuilt the engine. The TR3OC was the best source of information pre internet.

You might try http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Triumph.htm for manuals etc.

My modified T150v :okay

Attachments

• Scan100-02.jpg
    Scan100-02.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 388
My first one, JHO862N ended up as a Hurricane copy courtesy of the guy I sold it to.

My modified T150v :okay

Liking that stepped seat and the flat bars; it reminds me of the T140 twins raced in the Avon championship years ago;; why did you swop the 150 bread bin tank for the 160 tank Tim; and did it go straight on; or am i missing something?:beerjug:

Liking that stepped seat and the flat bars; it reminds me of the T140 twins raced in the Avon championship years ago;; why did you swop the 150 bread bin tank for the 160 tank Tim; and did it go straight on; or am i missing something?:beerjug:

Never had the bread bin tank on mine as it was a US import with a beautiful black and gold tear drop tank. I got more range from the T160 tank but the fuel tap was a fiddle to clear the top of the more upright engine

Never had the bread bin tank on mine as it was a US import with a beautiful black and gold tear drop tank. I got more range from the T160 tank but the fuel tap was a fiddle to clear the top of the more upright engine

Cheers Tim;:beerjug:

The tear drop is so much prettier, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom