New BSA Goldstar

UturnTony

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Apart from the exhaust front pipe it looks good. I would love to try the 54bhp version out.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/bsa-gold-star-first-impressions-motorcycle-live

Frank Melling likes it;

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yzAqeSCLZrI" title="YouTube video player" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

All these retro bike are fine but what spoils the overall effect is the huge radiator on the front and the coolant hoses running from it ,

All these retro bike are fine but what spoils the overall effect is the huge radiator on the front and the coolant hoses running from it ,

The radiator seems to be the biggest aesthetic bone of contention thus far. Hopefully, as this is pre-production, they will do something about it. Royal Enfield use oil and air cooling on their 650 twins, I wonder why BSA did not go that way also. I hope they are taking onboard the feedback and will use it as an opportunity to make some changes for the production model.

I believe that the engine is restricted to 45bhp so I wonder how much it puts out derestricted? Quite clever of BSA to bring out a big thumping single classic retro mow that RE have dropped the single cylinder Bullet. Something to look forward to in 2022.

The radiator seems to be the biggest aesthetic bone of contention thus far. Hopefully, as this is pre-production, they will do something about it…

Agree about the radiator – proper OTT.

Thought that was funny when he said: “Joe Lucas, the Prince Of Darkness” – it’s been ages since I’ve heard that.
Love that little touch of the tiny British flag tab at the front of the seat. I’d like to see the winged BSA logo on the back of the seat too.

Overall, though, I really like the concept and could well be tempted when the higher performance version that Ashish Joshi has spoken about is released in the UK.

Interestingly one of the reps on the stand told my mate this wasn't even really a pre production model. As he put it " it's a load of parts we bought in" he also said they had no distribution chain set up yet.

This is a good thing as maybe they will look at reducing the size of the radiator ;)

Agreed; & sort out the RHS of the motor & pipe.

LHS the barrel /head fins look OK, RHS something weird is going on - perhaps it's OK in the flesh? It's a shame they couldn't find a way to hide the starter & then, of course, the exhaust bend isn't quite there.

In fairness, not a bad effort if it can be marketed at/around RE650 money.

I think he forgot his Fixodent.

Bloody annoying sound he was making, whatever the cause.

And a bloody stupid comment about the left side of the bike.
It's the left side wherever you live.

Likewise the horseshit about the 90bhp one.

But that's Frank Melling...I foolishly forgot to return the copies of his books I bought at the Stafford show, in order to claim the "money back if you don't like them" claim he made, seeing as they were self congratulatory repetitive crap.

Anyway, I really like the look of those new BSA models...they look chunkier and far more "purposeful" than the Enfields do.
I'd be a bit spoiled for choice over what colour scheme to pick though, but I think the red one is coming out favourite.

Any idea of prices on them yet?

Bloody annoying sound he was making, whatever the cause.

And a bloody stupid comment about the left side of the bike.
It's the left side wherever you live.

Likewise the horseshit about the 90bhp one.

But that's Frank Melling...I foolishly forgot to return the copies of his books I bought at the Stafford show, in order to claim the "money back if you don't like them" claim he made, seeing as they were self congratulatory repetitive crap.

Anyway, I really like the look of those new BSA models...they look chunkier and far more "purposeful" than the Enfields do.
I'd be a bit spoiled for choice over what colour scheme to pick though, but I think the red one is coming out favourite.

Any idea of prices on them yet?

He does come across as a bit of a nob, it was the 90hp claim that raised my eyebrows.

The bikes at the show were pre-production models so hopefully a couple of things will be sorted come the time,
namely the radiator and exhaust header.
The engine has been designed in collaboration with Rotax in Austria which is a major plus.
Nothing yet about pricing but the talk among the bike press is a similar price to the RE Interceptor.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/bsa-gold-star-engine-developed-in-collaboration-with-rotax-2644393

I wish they made a modern alternative Goldstar , super light and super fun rather than the heavy old retro slugs they all churn out
Have a look at Malcolms build https://www.malarkeyengineering.co.uk/21stc-classics
These things are amazing in the flesh.

These guys are fantastic engineers and the bikes are a credit to them; the sound from that Trident is something else; it's forty years since i last owned a British bike; and they always let me down; but to have something like one of those 3 could tempt me back into the fold;:beerjug:

These guys are fantastic engineers and the bikes are a credit to them; the sound from that Trident is something else; it's forty years since i last owned a British bike; and they always let me down; but to have something like one of those 3 could tempt me back into the fold;:beerjug:

Yep every time I go in the workshop they have something amazing on the go.
Malcolm is making himself a Harley powered bike, the donor sportster frame is made from 5 mm thick steel it weighs a ton the new frame will save a huge amount of weight .
New retro bikes are just too bloody heavy

Back
Top Bottom