Any RoW experts in the house?

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We moved to Dorset last year and just starting to explore the lanes here.

It seems that many of what were RUPP's have been reclassified as unclassified county roads (UCR), so they really go unnoticed and unused. There are a number around us, but I'm having trouble working out whether they are legal to ride or not as some appear on the list of streets in the national street gazetteer but not all compared to the county's definitive map, which can be overlaid with the Highways UCR map.

Is there a reason a road would appear on the definitive maps as a UCR but not appear on the list of streets?

Yes I know I should rejoin the TRF, it's been many years since I was involved and I'm not sure how much riding I'd do with them with my Himalayan, it's not your average TRF tool

The TRF down your way are really good. I'm sure someone would be more than happy to show you suitable lanes.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

In addition to the benefits stated above, if you joined your local TRF group you would have access to the Green Road Map (GRM) which would solve all of your issues straight away!

Also consider joining GLASS, you will then get trailwise2 which gives shows all lanes and is updated by people that use them as to accessibility and any restrictions.

I did wonder if you could ride the UCR to West Bexington - That would be smashing

Attachments

• F169D954-0DB7-4ADC-8448-2D5627D8FE51.jpg
    F169D954-0DB7-4ADC-8448-2D5627D8FE51.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 311
I did wonder if you could ride the UCR to West Bexington - That would be smashing

Yes, definitely, it's listed as a UCR on the list of roads...

Screenshot-2021-12-11-at-20-16-08.png

There are some really odd UCRs when you start looking, one at West Compton which is listed as maintained by the council, but you'd not know it, just a gated field!

In addition to the benefits stated above, if you joined your local TRF group you would have access to the Green Road Map (GRM) which would solve all of your issues straight away!

Good point, maybe I should join again, would answer my questions :)

We moved to Dorset last year and just starting to explore the lanes here.

It seems that many of what were RUPP's have been reclassified as unclassified county roads (UCR), so they really go unnoticed and unused. There are a number around us, but I'm having trouble working out whether they are legal to ride or not as some appear on the list of streets in the national street gazetteer but not all compared to the county's definitive map, which can be overlaid with the Highways UCR map.

Is there a reason a road would appear on the definitive maps as a UCR but not appear on the list of streets?

Yes I know I should rejoin the TRF, it's been many years since I was involved and I'm not sure how much riding I'd do with them with my Himalayan, it's not your average TRF tool

That was the objective of the NERC act 20 years ago; to reclassify RUPPs. Usually downgraded to footpaths, bridleways, rarely ugraded to BOATs from what I saw.
If it's a UCR on the definitive map I'd be confident of legality and ride it. Even if it was a UCR on an OS map I'd ride it - and see what happens! As long as no TRO is posted of course.

I can't remember the difference is between Definitive Map and List of Streets.
TRF deserves a sub based on all the background work it's done maintaining ROWs.

That was the objective of the NERC act 20 years ago; to reclassify RUPPs. Usually downgraded to footpaths, bridleways, rarely ugraded to BOATs from what I saw.
If it's a UCR on the definitive map I'd be confident of legality and ride it. Even if it was a UCR on an OS map I'd ride it - and see what happens! As long as no TRO is posted of course.

I can't remember the difference is between Definitive Map and List of Streets.
TRF deserves a sub based on all the background work it's done maintaining ROWs.

I don’t think UCR’s are marked as such on OS maps. BOAT’s are, and footpaths, bridleways etc. but I think a UCR would be shown as an ORPA which leaves the user to sort out whether or not it has vehicular rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some really odd UCRs when you start looking, one at West Compton which is listed as maintained by the council, but you'd not know it, just a gated field!

That route is on my marked up map as #76 so definitely legal. Not sure I've done it though.

I have done the Abbotsburty/West Bexington UCR. A lot of it is concrete slabs IIRC, but the very deep shingle was fun. The 701 lapped that up :D

It’s marked ‘green for go ‘ on the TRF website, plus four additional, nearby trails , if that’s any help ;
6ae3ec8ee72a63790965a08cf6662193.jpg

The trail looks attractive in issue 65 Sept/Oct 2021 ABR Magazine
6187f686c54070fd1065731a15faf29f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom