Engine corrosion, any interest from BMW at 4.5 years old/17k miles?

two weeks later I gave it a wash and some paint the size of my fingernail came off the fins.

Isn't the issue going to be proving it wasn't there at the point of purchase?

I had an AUB, that had corrosion appear some months after purchase. BMW approved a replacement engine, but I had to pay 50% of the labour. The AUB does not cover corrosion - or didn't at the time.

I take on board the timescales are different.

It all depends on how much stress you want. My comments below are based on purchasing from a BMW dealer. IF not then the advice to rub down and paint with hammerite is a good call, but not ideal on a bike purchased from a BMW dealer. Annoying yes but fixed in an hour or less.

The OP I suspect paid many thousands of pounds and is a little disappointed with the quality brand BMW is meant to be. BMW state their bikes are approved which suggests meet a minimum quality standard. As a minimum the dealer could touch the paint work up.

Yes it is a stone chip that has started to corrode. Many on here would not be happy if they purchased a 4 year old BMW car and they found this on their car a week or later.

JB - Wes Tripp does have a point - The comments are the not most helpful to a new member.

As said by Wes Tripp responses to a new member need not be so belligerent, not the greatest welcome lets be said.

They weren’t directed to the new member

But to another subsequent poster ….A new engine for a paint chip on a used bike, really?

No wonder new BMW’s are circa £20k now - warranty is costing you all & built into the retail price nowadays

how much time and effort are you prepared to put into this ?

i would have a hard job getting that past warranty , if it was less than 1 year old. ( via Moto Guzzi )

Some touchy folks in here today

I even a TRF ride tomorrow morning, in Yorkshire that Wes Tripp could get along to on his 701 - that’s me being helpful

It's great to see standards aren't slipping in here.

Yeah, but unnecessary to a new member. I completely agree with the advice but why not offer the advice without all the bollocks attitude?

Fair point. Read one post and thought am I the only one who thinks ‘it’s a secondhand bike’. There’s always a line of being cheeky / funny / sarcastic / cynical / a c11nt etc etc that we all judge differently.

Barry

My 1985 R100RS.. has a bit of corrosion....pass me the details Mr Trip and I'll hopefully get a new engine !!:D

Seriously, JB is right...and it is just a minor touch up TBH :thumb2

Yup , the paint has come off my 1990 r100rt’s rocker covers, maybe I could get Bmw to give me the shiny chrome ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just for clarification, the bubbly paint was present on my £11500 2014 bike at the time of purchase but not easily visible, I certainly didn’t see it. As mentioned, when I then washed it a couple of weeks later the flaky paint lifted off leaving bare metal visible the size of my finger nail. From the outset the dealer was helpful, they agreed that as an approved used bike it should have been spotted by one of their technicians and certainly not offered for sale in its present condition. Fast forward a few days, new engine authorised by BMW and fitted. It cost them over £8k from an £11500 sale to put the matter right.

Whether others think this is an over reaction by the dealer or whether others think my expectations were too high, Consumer Law is there to protect the Consumer. The dealership would not have taken the steps they did had they not had to.

If the paint application on the frame and engines were done to a higher standard, possibly there wouldn’t be a need for so many Warranty claims.

Anyway, I shared my opinion and experience to provide options for the OP, the rest is up to them. :thumb

They weren’t directed to the new member

But to another subsequent poster ….A new engine for a paint chip on a used bike, really?

No wonder new BMW’s are circa £20k now - warranty is costing you all & built into the retail price nowadays

That’s how I read your post, as a response to the subsequent poster.
The main problem you seem to have here is some people don’t understand straight, to the point talking. However we’ll you put it.

Just for clarification, the bubbly paint was present on my £11500 2014 bike at the time of purchase but not easily visible, I certainly didn’t see it. As mentioned, when I then washed it a couple of weeks later the flaky paint lifted off leaving bare metal visible the size of my finger nail. From the outset the dealer was helpful, they agreed that as an approved used bike it should have been spotted by one of their technicians and certainly not offered for sale in its present condition. Fast forward a few days, new engine authorised by BMW and fitted. It cost them over £8k from an £11500 sale to put the matter right.

Whether others think this is an over reaction by the dealer or whether others think my expectations were too high, Consumer Law is there to protect the Consumer. The dealership would not have taken the steps they did had they not had to.

If the paint application on the frame and engines were done to a higher standard, possibly there wouldn’t be a need for so many Warranty claims.

Anyway, I shared my opinion and experience to provide options for the OP, the rest is up to them. :thumb

Good for you , you’ve done well and obviously had a helpful dealer in dealing with BMW, that makes a big difference . I had a terrible experience with My local Audi dealer when my son’s car went on fire , I was polite and didn’t demand anything only asked why a 4 year old car would spontaneously combust. A year later I get a phone call asking would I like to deal in my Wife’s car for a new one , that was an interesting conversation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s how I read your post, as a response to the subsequent poster.
The main problem you seem to have here is some people don’t understand straight, to the point talking. However we’ll you put it.

I found JB’s comment, Stop Frothing Crap unhelpful & unnecessary as I was only trying to help the OP.

Not too hard to rub it down and touch up with some VHT engine lacquer or enamel. I have needed to keep on top of corrosion on every single vehicle I’ve ever owned, my favourite old hexhead GSA included.

If it has metal in it, it will need TLC at some point.

Thanks all for the multiple perspectives, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

I'm going to go lightly and ask the dealer if it's something they've seen before and for their advice on repair etc. I'll see what their response is and take it from there.
I asked about a DIY repair initially and I don't thinks it's out of the question but I'd like to see what the dealers take on it is first.

.... I'm going to go lightly and ask the dealer if it's something they've seen before...
If they say they have never seen a stone chip before tell them they are lying then demand a new engine.... In fact demand a new jacket too but ask them to remove all the badges, they are worth more without the badges you see.