Engine corrosion, any interest from BMW at 4.5 years old/17k miles?

If they say they have never seen a stone chip before tell them they are lying then demand a new engine.... In fact demand a new jacket too but ask them to remove all the badges, they are worth more without the badges you see.

dont mention jackets! next step is the sani jacket thread!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to go lightly….

There’s not many on this site that can say that.

I'm going to… ask the dealer if it's something they've seen before…...

Bod: I say my good man, is this something you have seen before?

Dealer: No mate.

Bod: Are you sure?

Dealer: Hey, Harry, fellow here wants to know if you seen something?

Harry: Not me, mate.

Bod: Well, I didn’t see it either.

Dealer: See, that’s three of us.

Bod: Oh, I see now.

Dealer: Great, mate, see you next time.

Thanks all for the multiple perspectives, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

I'm going to go lightly and ask the dealer if it's something they've seen before and for their advice on repair etc. I'll see what their response is and take it from there.
I asked about a DIY repair initially and I don't thinks it's out of the question but I'd like to see what the dealers take on it is first.

A thoroughly sensible approach

A thoroughly sensible approach

I beg to differ, but then we all have our own thoughts on these matters, it certainly isn’t worth falling out over. Sadly, I fear that the OP will receive a less than favourable response from the dealership and their opinion of the BMW brand will then be forever damaged.

Unfortunately there does seem to be a vast difference in attitudes in regards to Customer service by various dealerships.

.... Sadly, I fear that the OP will receive a less than favourable response from the dealership and their opinion of the BMW brand will then be forever damaged....
I'm going to hazard a guess and say the OP seems likely to either rectify this himself, or accept that he dealer simply 'makes good' the chip and corrosion by way of a clean and touch up, I doubt very much it will damage his opinion of the brand.

I do however realise all people have differing opinions and levels of acceptance of how things are dealt with. About 20 years ago a friend of mine rejected his new 1150GS because the dealer had cross threaded the female thread when fitting the tax disc holder, he was so traumatised by the experience it took him 20 years for his faith to be restored in the brand, he has just bought a new R9T.

If you ride on salted roads any unprotected alloy will be eaten away. Rub down with emery paper till back to bright alloy and re paint.

Good for you , you’ve done well and obviously had a helpful dealer in dealing with BMW, that makes a big difference . I had a terrible experience with My local Audi dealer when my son’s car went on fire , I was polite and didn’t demand anything only asked why a 4 year old car would spontaneously combust. A year later I get a phone call asking would I like to deal in my Wife’s car for a new one , that was an interesting conversation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

did you tell them to "ging an bile their heids":D?

I beg to differ, but then we all have our own thoughts on these matters, it certainly isn’t worth falling out over. Sadly, I fear that the OP will receive a less than favourable response from the dealership and their opinion of the BMW brand will then be forever damaged.

Unfortunately there does seem to be a vast difference in attitudes in regards to Customer service by various dealerships.

And a vast difference in attitudes of customers in regards to seeking help from the supplying dealer with an issue, perceived or otherwise.

did you tell them to "ging an bile their heids":D?
I was very direct and singled out the Service Manager for poor customer service, at the end of the day it wasn't going to cost the dealer any money. Anyway made me find a good Indy to service the wife's car which I probably wouldn't have bothered with before.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

To be honest it is not that bad , a few years ago I saw someone picking up a 2013 plate R1200GS LC from a main dealer , it was three years old with less than 9000 miles on the clock and from ten foot away looked really nice , close up the finish on the engine and swinging arm were utterly shocking with powder coating peeling off where any bracket. nut and bolt ,fin edge etc were .

Thanks all for the multiple perspectives, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

I'm going to go lightly and ask the dealer if it's something they've seen before and for their advice on repair etc. I'll see what their response is and take it from there.
I asked about a DIY repair initially and I don't thinks it's out of the question but I'd like to see what the dealers take on it is first.

Did you buy it from a BMW Dealer ?

It's a used bike. Sold as seen. Cosmetics are not part of any warranty on a used bike.

What will BMW say:

"Did you ride in the winter Sir" ?

"Did you ride through Salt Sir ?

"Did you use BMW approved cleaning products Sir"

"Have you got a full dealer service history sir"

On a 2014 bike, I'd be very surprised if you got anything off anyone. Like others have said, get a pot a black hammerite and a touch it up.

From my experience working for BMW dealers any warranty claim made on paint doesn't have anything to do with your dealer. They will have to take pictures, record general condition of the bike, record service history and then file a claim to BMW.

Of which in my experience, I'm sure will be rejected.

[QUOTE
The route I described to have this issue addressed is one option that the OP can pursue should they wish to do so. In late 2017 or 2018 I purchased a 2014 GSA from a BMW dealer, two weeks later I gave it a wash and some paint the size of my fingernail came off the fins. I followed the procedure I have outlined above, I was offered another bike at no additional cost, I declined. I was then provided with a replacement engine which cost approx £8k + including labour and which BMW themselves approved.
[/QUOTE]

And if anyone ever wondered why bikes are a bit on the expensive side

The route I described to have this issue addressed is one option that the OP can pursue should they wish to do so. In late 2017 or 2018 I purchased a 2014 GSA from a BMW dealer, two weeks later I gave it a wash and some paint the size of my fingernail came off the fins. I followed the procedure I have outlined above, I was offered another bike at no additional cost, I declined. I was then provided with a replacement engine which cost approx £8k + including labour and which BMW themselves approved.

And if anyone ever wondered why bikes are a bit on the expensive side

I said that earlier

If you decide to do the repair yourself and own or can borrow a dremel type tool these little rotary wire wheels are superb for cleaning between the fins, I’m in the process of cleaning the corrosion from between the cylinder fins on my R80r and they are coming up superb.

If you can’t get a dremel you can get away with using a cordless drill.

Simple stuff, clean back the corrosion until you have got everything nice and shiny and as mentioned earlier apply some smooth hammerite using a small cheap artists size brush and it will be perfect, you’ll soon forget about it.
It you want to be extra sure you can buy a rattle can of high temperature cylinder black and use that, however don’t start spraying it around, just give the can a good shake and spray some paint into the upturned lid from off the rattle can then go and have a coffee until the solvents evaporate allowing the paint to thicken and apply it to your bike with the artists brush.

Attachments

• C84FB26F-8689-4A0A-A39A-FA18B2E415B5.jpg
    C84FB26F-8689-4A0A-A39A-FA18B2E415B5.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 410
If you decide to do the repair yourself and own or can borrow a dremel type tool these little rotary wire wheels are superb for cleaning between the fins, I’m in the process of cleaning the corrosion from between the cylinder fins on my R80r and they are coming up superb.

If you can’t get a dremel you can get away with using a cordless drill.

Simple stuff, clean back the corrosion until you have got everything nice and shiny and as mentioned earlier apply some smooth hammerite using a small cheap artists size brush and it will be perfect, you’ll soon forget about it.
It you want to be extra sure you can buy a rattle can of high temperature cylinder black and use that, however don’t start spraying it around, just give the can a good shake and spray some paint into the upturned lid from off the rattle can then go and have a coffee until the solvents evaporate allowing the paint to thicken and apply it to your bike with the artists brush.

Thanks for all this info, really useful. I'd be quite happy to do this myself. I have a Black and Decker equivalent which will do but I don't have a brush set like the one you show, I'll get one organized. I think brush painting will contain the repair area and get a thicker coat on.

I wanted the dealer to be aware but I certainly won't be getting bent out of shape about it.

Never ceases to amaze me. Even with my relatively limited knowledge of metallurgy, chemical reactions but plenty of experience of running bikes in all seasons, I'm not at all surprised. This looks pretty normal to me. If you are going coat fast cutting aluminium alloy with paint, constantly heat it up and cool it down in wet, dirty conditions, you are going to get corrosion starting immediately. The fact that you only begin to see it after four years is pretty amazing. Far better if engines weren't painted. Like airheads for example. Just ride it.

I would do as others have suggested and treat the area before painting.
if nothing else it will be practice for when it happens again... and it will.

Unfortunately small stones etc do flick up and hit our bikes, and this sort of thing happens.
as long as you wash your bike regular and notice them early enough to cover and protect what's underneath
it will be fine.

you could bother the dealer with this, but in 6 months when you notice another you will have to sort it yourself anyway.

When i bought my bike it had a slight graze on the engine bars.... i nearly moaned about it, but decided not too
a week later i dropped the bike and added to the graze lol (bike rolled off its stand)