Engine corrosion, any interest from BMW at 4.5 years old/17k miles?

Sporall

Reaction score
I just got this bike and never spotted this. Steep learning curve!
I'm guessing perhaps that BMW won't be interested but thought I'd ask. I've seen other threads here regarding this but the age of the bikes concerned and time frames have been different.

Is there a repair method that's acceptable with the right materials perhaps?

Here's mine, slathered in ACF50, I found it during the application.

N9cv0q5.jpg

I've always thought if you want to get a good look at something you're thinking of buying, wash it.

Did you buy private or dealer ?

If dealer you may get something under warranty, otherwise a bit of gloss black engine paint and forget it

It was a dealer, only a week ago. I'll give them a shout and see what they have to say.

It was a dealer, only a week ago. I'll give them a shout and see what they have to say.

The solution is simple, telephone them, speak to someone in authority, tell them you are rejecting the bike. Confirm that decision in writing to the dealership. Return the bike, and receive your payment back from them. It really is that simple you just need to be confident and stick to your guns. You must do this within 30 days of purchase so you are well within the time frame but do not unnecessarily delay the process. If they tell you, you are not entitled to return the bike, tell them they are incorrect as the Consumer Rights Act says otherwise.

Alternatively you can request that they rectify the issue which a main dealer will try to do by either
1/ offering you a replacement bike.
2/ having the engine repainted for you.
3/ replacing the engine for you.

Either option should result in no financial contribution from you. They get one opportunity to do either of the above and rectify the problem, if you are still dissatisfied because they have been unable to resolve the issue demand your money back. Personally I wouldn’t entertain them, I would keep matters simple and just reject the bike and then start again ideally at a different dealership if that is an example of their quality control.

The solution is simple, telephone them, speak to someone in authority, tell them you are rejecting the bike. Confirm that decision in writing to the dealership. Return the bike, and receive your payment back from them. It really is that simple you just need to be confident and stick to your guns. You must do this within 30 days of purchase so you are well within the time frame but do not unnecessarily delay the process. If they tell you, you are not entitled to return the bike, tell them they are incorrect as the Consumer Rights Act says otherwise.

Alternatively you can request that they rectify the issue which a main dealer will try to do by either
1/ offering you a replacement bike.
2/ having the engine repainted for you.
3/ replacing the engine for you.

Either option should result in no financial contribution from you. They get one opportunity to do either of the above and rectify the problem, if you are still dissatisfied because they have been unable to resolve the issue demand your money back. Personally I wouldn’t entertain them, I would keep matters simple and just reject the bike and then start again ideally at a different dealership if that is an example of their quality control.

On a 4 year old bike?

It’s a chip of paint, FFS

Wear and tear - same as a stone chip on a car bonnet

Stop frothing crap

I would hazard a guess that a stone has chipped the engine paint and left the aluminium beneath exposed.

This hasn't been addressed by the previous owner(s) so you end up with what you see there.

Just get a small wire brush, remove the corrosion/oxidisation and then apply some more paint, a simple job.

BMW quite rightly cannot be held responsible for this so sort it out yourself sooner rather than later, if left exposed it will undoubtedly get a lot worse.

As already said it's out of warranty and probably was visible at the point of sale, you could try the Wes Tripp route, but if you go in heavy handed in might queer any future relationship you have with the dealer and unnecessarily raise your piss boiling level to overload.

Trouble is now you've coated it in something that's designed to stop stuff sticking to it you will have trouble trying to clean the area properly to get any paint to adhere sufficiently for it not to just lift off again.

Oh if you do go down the "stealers" with all arms flailing don't forget to use the phrase " NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE" especially if there are others within earshot.

havent had to do it on a boxer engine, but i have had good results with other engines with similar paint flaking by using a dremel with the various attachments to remove the flaky bits and prep the alloy then ive even used smooth black hamerite paint and its stayed on fine even though its not classed as engine paint, wire brush is not so usefull as its hard to get in there , but the small wire wheel on the dremel is good,

On a 4 year old bike?

Stop frothing crap

Just get a small wire brush, remove the corrosion/oxidisation and then apply some more paint, a simple job.

Bang on JB.

Pop back and ask the dealer to sort it....by way of what Paul suggests.....

On a 4 year old bike?

Stop frothing crap

I’ve always given you the benefit of doubt when you retaliate to my posts as you have done here, but I’m finally happy to declare you a vindictive and malicious individual for the way you respond to anything that perhaps you wouldn’t do yourself or don’t agree with.
Here we have a new member who’s only joined the Forum in December 2021 and your response and others to be fair have been positively unhelpful to the guy.

The route I described to have this issue addressed is one option that the OP can pursue should they wish to do so. In late 2017 or 2018 I purchased a 2014 GSA from a BMW dealer, two weeks later I gave it a wash and some paint the size of my fingernail came off the fins. I followed the procedure I have outlined above, I was offered another bike at no additional cost, I declined. I was then provided with a replacement engine which cost approx £8k + including labour and which BMW themselves approved.

The ‘complaint’ procedure was completed in approximately 7 days from me first bringing the issue to their attention to me riding away my original bike with a new engine. I was happy with the outcome and the dealership were happy that they had successfully resolved my complaint. Did it sour my relationship with the dealer, no I’ve since purchased two further GSA’s from them and on each occasion they have given me a great deal.

They are now doing a collaboration with me allowing me to test out some BMW equipment for my YouTube channel, so I hardly think our reputation has been damaged.

Standing up and exercising your rights when it counts is the correct course to take provided it is done in an appropriate way.

Sporall, by all means drop me a PM with a contact number and I’ll have a chat with you if you so wish. I note you don’t currently have your PM mailbox set up.

I’ve always given you the benefit of doubt when you retaliate to my posts as you have done here, but I’m finally happy to declare you a vindictive and malicious individual for the way you respond to anything that perhaps you wouldn’t do yourself or don’t agree with....
Vindictive and malicious are certainly not two words I would use to describe JB....

.... In late 2017 or 2018 I purchased a 2014 GSA from a BMW dealer, two weeks later I gave it a wash and some paint the size of my fingernail came off the fins. I followed the procedure I have outlined above, I was offered another bike at no additional cost, I declined. I was then provided with a replacement engine which cost approx £8k + including labour and which BMW themselves approved....

A replacement engine just because of a tiny piece of paint missing :eek: :blast

I’ve always given you the benefit of doubt when you retaliate to my posts as you have done here, but I’m finally happy to declare you a vindictive and malicious individual for the way you respond to anything that perhaps you wouldn’t do yourself or don’t agree with.
Here we have a new member who’s only joined the Forum in December 2021 and your response and others to be fair have been positively unhelpful to the guy.

The route I described to have this issue addressed is one option that the OP can pursue should they wish to do so. In late 2017 or 2018 I purchased a 2014 GSA from a BMW dealer, two weeks later I gave it a wash and some paint the size of my fingernail came off the fins. I followed the procedure I have outlined above, I was offered another bike at no additional cost, I declined. I was then provided with a replacement engine which cost approx £8k + including labour and which BMW themselves approved.

The ‘complaint’ procedure was completed in approximately 7 days from me first bringing the issue to their attention to me riding away my original bike with a new engine. I was happy with the outcome and the dealership were happy that they had successfully resolved my complaint. Did it sour my relationship with the dealer, no I’ve since purchased two further GSA’s from them and on each occasion they have given me a great deal.

They are now doing a collaboration with me allowing me to test out some BMW equipment for my YouTube channel, so I hardly think our reputation has been damaged.

Standing up and exercising your rights when it counts is the correct course to take provided it is done in an appropriate way.

As said by Wes Tripp responses to a new member need not be so belligerent, not the greatest welcome lets be said.

Was the paint missing when you bought it? If you can show it was either through photos in the advert or having the missing paint from when you cleaned it then you may have a claim. As you've said speak to the dealer- if it's a main BMW one they will normally try and resolve the issue for you, if it's a non-franchised one then it'll depend on the dealer involved. If all else fails and you like the bike just repaint it as suggested and enjoy the bike. Good luck