Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. The ULTIMATE Diagnostic tool FOR BMW motorcycles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1200 > 1250 To upgrade or not? (cost to change, warranties etc)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerlust View Post
    I would not even think about not upgrading to a 1250GS because the motor is so much better than the 1200 engine...Smoother,much more TORQUE so you get much bettter roll-on/acceleration and quieter valvetrain.2022 is also the last year of the current 2013-2022 1200/1250LC generation and next years bike will be all new so it is probably a good idea to wait a little and let others be the first adopters...
    Merry Christmas !
    It is an improvement but it not so much better than the 1200 engine. I compared the 1200 and 1250 back to back and yes the 1250 was stronger but the 1200 was not lacking.
    Certainly not enough for me to upgrade. The next generation hopefully will be 150bhp and will be very interested once the faults have been established as we all know their will be some. I also suspect BMW will offer a 4 year warranty to match ducati and to attract the 1250s that are out of warranty.

Dont kidd yourself...I would not waste my time on a 1200...The 1250 might not be a big upgrade on paper but in real life the difference is like weak coffee compared to a rich mocca latte... the additional 84 cc and 2 intake cam-lobes make a huge difference ! ESpecially when you make a side by side roll-on against the weak 2017-18 EU-4 R1200GS !

Dont kidd yourself...I would not waste my time on a 1200...The 1250 might not be a big upgrade on paper but in real life the difference is like weak coffee compared to a rich mocca latte... the additional 84 cc and 2 intake cam-lobes make a huge difference ! ESpecially when you make a side by side roll-on against the weak 2017-18 EU-4 R1200GS !
    Yes but mine is not EU4 - remapped with sublime fueling. The difference between the two at maximum acceleration was only slightly noticeable. The 1250 was quicker - not disputed and certainly not night and day. I do not need to kidd myself. 11 bhp between the 2 bikes. Night and day? It is you who is kidding themselves.

I am waiting for the 150bhp version.

rode a 2022 3k mile GS1250 today - here's a frank summary of my first impressions

missing dynamic pro - which seems odd as it got heated seat and grips, and USB sockets so quite high spec

quite nimble,
    front suspension doesn't match the rear - too soft, too little damping
    brakes good but bike gets upset by the suspension issue and becomes a handful under some circumstances
    "you can't feel the transition to the high lift cam" ahh - yes you can - its quite marked
    New dash doesn't work - why can't they leave two normal analogue dials, its millions of times faster and easier to use
    got as sore foot the gear lever is all wrong
    after 30 miles hit "road" rider mode and its a disaster - changes the entire bike's handling for the worse - front goes all wrong
    seats a disaster - which is a very normal BMW idea
    keyless disaster - and they don't go to sleep, so its theft-tastic
    400 pages of software license info on the cluster menus !!!
    second hand for not much - I think you'd be quite happy

Needs new forks (back to the bigger diameter of my air cooled one's), a new front shock set up for grown ups, by grown ups, and a rounded end like the air cooled adventures get on the gear lever, and an easier gear change

Sorry but unless you are riding like an utter and complete TW*T on public roads there is very little difference in performance between the later 1200 models and the 1250 .

Anybody who claims that they need the extra couple of horsepower to ride safely and in a responsible manner on a public road is talking out of their arse.

I know riders who on the then current r1100rt police bikes could ride the wheels off some smug cnut on a top of the range sports bike from the same era and unlike the sports bike riders they never made the claim that they were riding gods or needed any more than 90bhp to do so.

really,i have had both, in fact i have had two of both,if you took the stickers of my 1250 ,i wouldnt notice the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    Sorry but unless you are riding like an utter and complete TW*T on public roads there is very little difference in performance between the later 1200 models and the 1250 .

Anybody who claims that they need the extra couple of horsepower to ride safely and in a responsible manner on a public road is talking out of their arse.

I know riders who on the then current r1100rt police bikes could ride the wheels off some smug cnut on a top of the range sports bike from the same era and unlike the sports bike riders they never made the claim that they were riding gods or needed any more than 90bhp to do so.
    100% agree

As always, interesting to see how perceptions differ. I wonder if it about riding styles. I also think that to talk about speed rather than torque misses the point. I don't miss the shitty fuelling of the 1250 EU4 or having to go/up down constantly on back roads, when instead I have tongue flexibility that pisses on the huffing 1200. Add to that the 1200 flat spot at 5-6k, and the roll-on capability of the 1250. It's still a boxer, and not silky smooth but I find it a big improvement. That said, I only upgraded when I could get some of the things on the 1250 that weren't on the 1200, tft, heated grips that are actually useful, heated seats etc

Have to agree about the rear suspension, does seem a little softer than the 1200, and I think I prefer the 1200 in that regard.

the difference in performance of the 1200 to 1250 is light and day

the grunt is much closer to the amount you need, where you need, on the 1250 - on the 1200 LC might as well get off and walk
    there is no realistic comparison - what I did notice is the 1250 seems to have very wrong gear ratios - which might be to cover for the fact its not got enough grunt even now - hence the 1300 engine they still haven't released yet

and I got cooked in traffic riding it today - got on a K1600 and has less heat and enough grunt - quite shocked how much I preferred the k1600 over a nimble 1250GS and desperately needed the extra go (of the k1600)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    Out of interest, what is the approximate cost for an extended warranty? My bike will be 3 years old in June 2022 and will have covered about 30k miles. I'm weighing up my options and of course, one choice is to keep it and buy a warranty...
    Last time I bought it (Last year) it was shade under £400 which was warranty and recovery.

I just upgraded from an air cooled 2008/9 GSA Hexhead to a 2019 1250 GSA and the difference in performance and refinement is huge, but the cost for me to change was £11k so I won't be doing it often, thats my Covid savings pot almost emptied.

For me this was worth it, I intend to enjoy this bike for many years just like my last bike (which is still going strong). If I had owned a water cooled 1200GSA however it wouldn't have been worth it to change IMHO.
    ADAM

Quote Originally Posted by botus View Post
    the difference in performance of the 1200 to 1250 is light and day

the grunt is much closer to the amount you need, where you need, on the 1250 - on the 1200 LC might as well get off and walk
    there is no realistic comparison - what I did notice is the 1250 seems to have very wrong gear ratios - which might be to cover for the fact its not got enough grunt even now - hence the 1300 engine they still haven't released yet

and I got cooked in traffic riding it today - got on a K1600 and has less heat and enough grunt - quite shocked how much I preferred the k1600 over a nimble 1250GS and desperately needed the extra go (of the k1600)
    well I went from a K1200GT (150hp) to a 1200GS (125hp) yes the top end power isnt as much, but "get off and walk" ? the torque and power is more than enough (unless all you want to do is scream the nuts of the engine, in which case the GS may well not be the bike for you, in either version) the K1600 is barely more power than the K1200 (and a lot more weight) and less power than the K1300 (still a lot more weight) so really I dont follow your reasoning ?

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    well I went from a K1200GT (150hp) to a 1200GS (125hp) yes the top end power isnt as much, but "get off and walk" ? the torque and power is more than enough (unless all you want to do is scream the nuts of the engine, in which case the GS may well not be the bike for you, in either version) the K1600 is barely more power than the K1200 (and a lot more weight) and less power than the K1300 (still a lot more weight) so really I don't follow your reasoning ?
    that's the whole point I can't be bothered to wait for a 1200LC to meander up to 7500 rpm and begin to realise there is some power there somewhere

the 1250LC you can snap it open at 3000rpm and something actually happens - not (it feels) as much as my air cooled one does, but enough to cope - 3000 to 4500 rpm on the 1250 is pleasant enough, then there's a nasty dip, then it goes really well until a bigger nasty dip after 6000 rpm, I presume at the cam swaps, then 7000 to 8000 it makes some real go. If they'd done the map like Honda would they'd better mask the dips and you probably be quite happy with a 1250 - until you rode a KTM and realise there's another 45 bhp you could have for free (particularly if you're playing variable valve timing !!!)

either way where's all this heat coming from - I got cooked in a permanent heat source being blasted at the riders upper legs and abdomen - it was almost at bad as the Triumph 1200 tiger - I don't get that heat hitting the rider on from my air cooled one ?

that's the whole point I can't be bothered to wait for a 1200LC to meander up to 7500 rpm and begin to realise there is some power there somewhere

the 1250LC you can snap it open at 3000rpm and something actually happens - not (it feels) as much as my air cooled one does, but enough to cope - 3000 to 4500 rpm on the 1250 is pleasant enough, then there's a nasty dip, then it goes really well until a bigger nasty dip after 6000 rpm, I presume at the cam swaps, then 7000 to 8000 it makes some real go. If they'd done the map like Honda would they'd better mask the dips and you probably be quite happy with a 1250 - until you rode a KTM and realise there's another 45 bhp you could have for free (particularly if you're playing variable valve timing !!!)

either way where's all this heat coming from - I got cooked in a permanent heat source being blasted at the riders upper legs and abdomen - it was almost at bad as the Triumph 1200 tiger - I don't get that heat hitting the rider on from my air cooled one ?
    sounds like a "you" problem

I’ve read some shit on these pages….but that is pretty much the funniest of all.

I politely suggest you feckety feck offski and buy an S1000XR, the current GS has the perfect amount of power for a dual sport bike. Usable both on and off road without doing 38mpg. If anything it needs a bit less power and more fuel economy.

Fat blokes bounce better

"The human race is being overun by muppets, it's like fraggle f*ckin rock down here!!!"

flipfly - Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Flipfly View Post
    more fuel economy.
    Easy, talk to the hand, the right hand
    As an experiment I tried to be as economical as possible (helps that I don't have 40kg of crap mounted on the bike and I am only 72kg), managed 62 miles to the gallon according to the the display. Not exact science but is possible to do minimum 55+.
    If you have been affected,offended by any of the issues raised call free on 06213111566 . Not a fat cat...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast