2 Season Sleeping bag - recommendation please?

MartinK

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Going to buy a new, super-light sleeping bag for 2022 adventures, mainly in the warmer months. so thinking of a bag with comfort temperature rating of 5-8 degrees...

Best deal for a super small bag I can find so far is the Alpkit pipedream 200 - https://alpkit.com/products/pipedream-200 - I have had a bigger down bag from them before whish I have used to sleep on a glacier!

Long version is Compressed size: 16 x 12cm and weight 575 grams. This means I will be able to get the sleeping bag, small thermarest and even my stove/mug in one pannier... (which is my aim). Leaves the other pannier for clothes, and tent strapped over the back seat...

Anyone recommend a better bag for weight, size and cost?

Thanks guys - some great options. I like the look of the mountain equipment helium solo long, and also some of the stuff on the ultralight site.

That Spark SpI Ultralight Down Sleeping Bag looks awesome, big price tag tho...

Tough choices...

Thanks guys - some great options. I like the look of the mountain equipment helium solo long, and also some of the stuff on the ultralight site.

That Spark SpI Ultralight Down Sleeping Bag looks awesome, big price tag tho...

Tough choices...

Worth spending the extra on things like tents, air beds and sleeping bags! :thumb2 Not getting a good nights rest can be costly.

Hard to get better value for money than Alpkit.

north face cats meaow it's really good value and light weight (and as extras a silk liner if your made of money, a gortex outer kerrching and insulated self inflating matt... (with the correct zips so both the bag and outer open the same way doh...!))

I have a Snugpak Softie Osprey 12. It’s a superb bag, nice and warm, fairly light and you can squash it right down in its compression sack. :thumb2
I have recently bought a Rab Ascent 1100 Down bag for colder trips.

Worth spending the extra on things like tents, air beds and sleeping bags! :thumb2 Not getting a good nights rest can be costly.

This....think of how shit you feel after a sleepless night......

I have a Mountain Equipment Spellbinder down bag and I love it, but if I had to replace it, I'd get a Mountain Equipment Helium Quilt.

As it is only a 2 Season bag you are after then warmth does not really come into it.

Just buy an Aldi down sleeping bag. It compresses small (your main requirement?) is lightweight and also saves you a lot of money that you can spend on something else like an Exped downmat that also packs small.

tom

As it is only a 2 Season bag you are after then warmth does not really come into it.

Just buy an Aldi down sleeping bag. It compresses small (your main requirement?) is lightweight and also saves you a lot of money that you can spend on something else like an Exped downmat that also packs small.

tom

Until it's colder than forecast. A cheap bit of tat would be fine on a beach in Greece in the summer but I'd rather have something light and efficient anywhere else. Personal choice, like any bit of kit.

Thanks for all the comments chaps. I think I have decided to go Alpkit. I already have a 3.5 season (i.e. warm) bag I have used climbing in the Alps, and it's been great. I've not found anything that meets the weight/packsize/budget of the Pipedream so I think I will go with it. I would rather it wasn't Chinese manufacture (thinking of animal welfare and stories of live-plucked birds :( ).

Martin have a look at using a quilt, I swapped from a down bag to a down quilt a couple of years ago and it is much more versatile. Much easier to regulate temperature, smaller pack size and just a warm when it needs to be, assuming you are on an insulated pad.

Thanks Jeff. I'll have a look. You're right I will be on a thermarest (I have a small/light one). Good to hear from you :)

As I said previously an Exped Downmat is so good.

I have been camping for over 60 years but only used a Downmat since 2018. I can't believe the difference it has made. It also packs up small.

Anything to do with down don't store it in its stuff sack, hang it in a cupboard or wardrobe.

tom

I bought a Helium 250 last year and am very impressed with it, it replaced a 30 year old Lightline and technology has certainly moved forwards. Very comfy and warm for the weight and size. I use it for nights in the hills in the summer but have a bigger bag for winter.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/collections/helium-sleeping-bags

There are lots of really good bags out there now but for sure, Mountain Equipment every time if you want to be sure of good gear. I've loved all their products I've owned - particularly when used in more extreme situations.

Back
Top Bottom