Looking for a G/S fork brace

SJBMW in the US and Flatracer in the UK might still do them
.The 21'G/S wheel does go under the 19" brace, but if deep sticky mud is a possibility you might want to think about something else.
Billet top makes a bigger difference, again the non G/S item can be made to fit.

Just looked on Siebenrock they want 158.50 euros seems hel of a lot

Agreed….£5 for materials £10 for manufacture and £120 ish for the fact that they have one and you don’t. Tough pill to swallow…

Are you looking to complete an ‘as original’ restoration? I’ve been running without one for years. So, in my opinion, it’ll be ok without one.

Are you looking to complete an ‘as original’ restoration? I’ve been running without one for years. So, in my opinion, it’ll be ok without one.

Been riding my 82 G/S without one , so i don't really know what difference it will make ?
Ive got one on my 86 G/S that im trying to keep "as original" and it looks good , been restoring it so not ridden it yet.

I did find one from a company called Motodynamic but they want £60 postage from USA !

https://www.flatracer.com/mudguards/bmw-fork-brace-kits
These will actually brace the forks, if that is what you require.
The G/S forks are unbushed so after 30 odd years they might be a little worn and floppy and the flexible flat top plate is probably fatigued close to failure, so if you intend using the bike some upgrading is required.
The Boxerparts item is for a GS, and also makes no noticeable difference.

I made one from some 6mm ally plate warmed up and bent over a 2 1/2 in Nominal bore steel tube.
Good luck

RE Hoop type brace - surprising improvement on my R65. I wasn't expecting much, but actually it was very noticeable (over white lines, ruts in the top surface of tarmac and bumpy corners). I couldn't make one with the holes square enough in 3 dimensions. Even with one of Mr Millyard's magic hacksaws.

My friend thinks they look awful. I think it looks pre-war / classic - but I can't see it from the seat anyhow :driving

Steve hop

I have a Flatracer steel tube brace on my st/gs and a TT upper fork yoke.
Both parts will be for sale soon as I’m upgrading the front end.

Are you happy to wait a couple of weeks? If so, then I will put both aside if you want them both.

Bubb

Steve hop

I have a Flatracer steel tube brace on my st/gs and a TT upper fork yoke.
Both parts will be for sale soon as I’m upgrading the front end.

Are you happy to wait a couple of weeks? If so, then I will put both aside if you want them both.

Bubb

Thanks for the offer Bubb , but im looking for one of these.

Attachments

• Brace.png
    Brace.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 199
Steve hop

Sorry I don’t have one of those for you. Good luck on your search

Bubb

Couldnt you just paint up a thick bit of cardboard if looks are all you require ,or a slice of an old plastic milk carton?

Sorry, I actually have a stiffer copy of the OEM flat plate brace here made out of around 3mm Stainless Steel which you can have for the cost of postage.
Well, should have somewhere, not like me to fling anything out!
But with it you could see the forks flexing as you wheeled the bike around the garage, and if you jammed the wheel somewhere you could get about 10 mm twist in the well worn forks.
And it the stem top nut unscrewed no matter how tight it was!
A FR tubular lower brace and SJBMW billet top triple almost completely removed the flex, fork action and handling were greatly improved, and the top nut stays tight with 50 ft/lbs torque!

Sorry, I actually have a stiffer copy of the OEM flat plate brace here made out of around 3mm Stainless Steel which you can have for the cost of postage.
Well, should have somewhere, not like me to fling anything out!
But with it you could see the forks flexing as you wheeled the bike around the garage, and if you jammed the wheel somewhere you could get about 10 mm twist in the well worn forks.
And it the stem top nut unscrewed no matter how tight it was!
A FR tubular lower brace and SJBMW billet top triple almost completely removed the flex, fork action and handling were greatly improved, and the top nut stays tight with 50 ft/lbs torque!

Is it like the one that "flat racer" do ? It looks pretty good .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-31 20.16.22.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-12-31 20.16.22.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 201

Back
Top Bottom