New knocking noise

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right have numerous 1150's and 1200's over the years so unusual noises are no real concern to me however my 1150GS Adventure SE has the following symptoms

2005 55 plate R1150GSA SE

Heavy knocking noise when warm or hot never cold.
Noise is coming from clutch area and if you put hand on starter plastic over on nearside you can feel it.

Bike at tick over..

When I pull clutch in noise disappears

Release clutch and heavy knocking returns.

It's a new one on me but doesn't sound great. Particularly loud today.

Any ideas?

May have to get in touch with Mikey Boy if anyone has a number. Only in Tamworth

The thrust bearing for the clutch is part of the clutch slave cylinder. So not a big job if, and that’s a big if, it’s the cause of your symptoms.

Check the colour of your clutch fluid, if it’s black with metal particles in it, then likely the slave cylinder is failing.

I will ring Mike tomorrow and get it booked in. It has done 58000 miles but still goes well. Needs a service anyway. It gets used everyday but I've only had it since 55000 miles. Will do another 100,000 no probs.

a few years ago I had a knocking noise on my 1978 R100. turned out to be 3 flywheel bolts coming un done.

Driveshaft Input bearing more likely:aidan
Failing that the output shaft bearing

Attachments

• 31FF9F9B-7A0E-44BC-A213-716853E2CD35.jpg
    31FF9F9B-7A0E-44BC-A213-716853E2CD35.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 642
Ok. Not what I wanted to hear but needs fixing. Cracking bikes. Had all sorts of BMs brand new and old but have a deep love for the 1150's.

Right have numerous 1150's and 1200's over the years so unusual noises are no real concern to me however my 1150GS Adventure SE has the following symptoms

2005 55 plate R1150GSA SE

Heavy knocking noise when warm or hot never cold.
Noise is coming from clutch area and if you put hand on starter plastic over on nearside you can feel it.

Bike at tick over..

When I pull clutch in noise disappears

Release clutch and heavy knocking returns.

It's a new one on me but doesn't sound great. Particularly loud today.

Any ideas?

May have to get in touch with Mikey Boy if anyone has a number. Only in Tamworth

My first 1150GSA had exactly the same issue and internet research suggests it’s reasonably common on these bikes. The hotter it gets the worse it sounds. My personal suspicion is that it’s caused by excessive crankshaft end float and nothing to do with the transmission or clutch, although pulling the clutch may stop the noise by affecting the pressure on the end of the crankshaft. I couldn’t find anything on line with a definitive answer and the cost of a full engine strip to replace the crankshaft thrust bearing was more than the bike was worth, so I sold the bike.

I've got it booked in with MikeyBoy on Friday. I'll let him have listen. Will let you all know what it is or could be.

My first 1150GSA had exactly the same issue and internet research suggests it’s reasonably common on these bikes. The hotter it gets the worse it sounds. My personal suspicion is that it’s caused by excessive crankshaft end float and nothing to do with the transmission or clutch, although pulling the clutch may stop the noise by affecting the pressure on the end of the crankshaft. I couldn’t find anything on line with a definitive answer and the cost of a full engine strip to replace the crankshaft thrust bearing was more than the bike was worth, so I sold the bike.

i don't know alot .

but , think what is happening .

pull in clutch lever , slave pushes on clutch , which is bolted to crank , this moves crank forward ( cos it has play front to back ) it is rubbing / catching on something ?

or

something is going down /coming loose in g/box , clutch disengages from drive g/box now not turning.= no noise ?

are your oil levels ok ?

All levels good. And only happens when warm to hot after 15 miles you'll hear it!

My Hexhead 1200 does similar so I pulled it apart. In my case, the gearbox input shaft damper assembly was fecked and the output shaft end float needed shimming. Now waiting on a new input shaft to arrive from Deutschland to rebuild it. I hope yours is an easy fix.

My Hexhead 1200 does similar so I pulled it apart. In my case, the gearbox input shaft damper assembly was fecked and the output shaft end float needed shimming. Now waiting on a new input shaft to arrive from Deutschland to rebuild it. I hope yours is an easy fix.

I'm suspecting something similar. Fingers crossed ��

I'm suspecting something similar. Fingers crossed ��

I also suspect either input shaft spline wear or/and female spline wear in the central hub of the friction plate as a source of noise and vibration. My friction plate has a little free play/wobble on the old shaft but until I get my new parts I can’t compare my existing parts and gauge how much wear there might be. I did fit a new clutch in 2014 after about 18k and used moly60 paste on the splines so if there is excess spline wear then I wish I knew why. My friction plate is still 6mm thick so hardly worn.

I believe the 1150 had a reputation for clutch spline wear.

I've got it booked in with MikeyBoy on Friday. I'll let him have listen. Will let you all know what it is or could be.

I’m really interested in finding out what this problem is and how it gets fixed. Hopefully it is a gearbox or clutch issue and not crank related, it’s a lot easier to pull the box and sort it than splitting the cases and doing the crank bearings. Watching with interest…….

Back
Top Bottom