LED Auxiliary lights on RT

Roymundo

Reaction score
To be more visable on my 2015 R1200RT LC I'm liking the idea of fitting some front DRL/auxiliary LED lights. The bike is fitted with engine bars so they would clamp onto these. Not wanting to spend lots (I'm from Yorkshire) there is plenty of choise of lights on Amazon and Ebay from £50 a pair, some are 40w some are 90w !!!!!what is the best type and wattage to consider?
Like most folk I don't like to mess around with bike electrics, but soldering wires etc is not a problem. I want the lights to come on only when the ignition is on, not wired from the battery through a switch.
I have noticed a spare electric socket/connector behind the front left side fairing panel, it has three wires...BROWN, PURPLE, RED/BLACK. Could this be a source of power I could plug into for the lights? If so is a connector type cable available to plug and play? If not what is the best method to power the lights? Can any of you guys help with some information please?
Many thanks, Roy

Hay mate,

I bought a set on eBay for £55 2 years ago, does the job well.

Also the kit came with a relay and switch, I wanted to be able to turn on/off when working on the bike. Fitted to my crash bars, took about 2 hour all in as I have OCD with wiring!

Wiring is a doddle, yellow trigger wire from rear tail light to relay trigger, +- to the battery, works a treat and can control the switch mounted on the from handle bars. Mounted relay behind the right hand panel.

I Have pics if you want them, very easy cheap upgrade

Hay mate,

Can u pm ur email address and I’ll send u the details of what I bought and pics of fitting, no idea how to put pics up on here!

Regards

Stevie

Mine came fitted with the BMW auxiliary lights and they are good but bloody expensive! I'm glad I didn't have to add them as an optional extra as been from Yorkshire and Hull like yourself we are all tight!

A mate of mine got some cheap ones of ebay I think they was £27 for the set and he's not complaining!

The real issue is wiring them in

I purchased some LED auxiliary lights off eBay £65.00 complete with a wiring harness. But NO installation instructions. It came with a relay, inline fuse, battery terminals, on/off switch and plugs which connect to each light. Plug and play,,,,Bigest job was removing side panels then refitting after all harness is located. I spliced the yellow harness wire into the red/blue wire (live when ignition is on)which run to the spare connector behind the front left fairing panel. Lights can be turned on/off with new switch only when ignition is turned on. Each of the 30w LED lights are very bright. Need to adjust them down so not to dazzle everyone. Very happy with finished job.

Bit over budget, but I've got Denali D4s on my RT using the Denali mounts that fit below the mirrors - can't recommend them highly enough. First had them on my GS then changed to the R1250RT & swapped them over. The Cansmart controller gives lots of options & no extra switches or buttons.

Clearwater lights

Super lights that are both very bright and infinitely adjustable via a complicated (for me) combination of pushes on the indicators etc.

I gave up so they're on default.

There's lots of "genuine" BMW lights on ebay from the previous model GSA's etc for about£50. I fitted a set to mt F800GS using a universal spot light wiring loom with relay. I activate the relay off the bikes power socket and the relay connects main power to the battery.

The power socket stays live for about 30 secs after turning the bike off so the spots take 30 secs to shut off but I quite like it it's like the "follow you home" lights on modern cars :D

Because they're using "old model" BMW lamps it all looks original

Bit over budget, but I've got Denali D4s on my RT using the Denali mounts that fit below the mirrors - can't recommend them highly enough. First had them on my GS then changed to the R1250RT & swapped them over. The Cansmart controller gives lots of options & no extra switches or buttons.

Can you post some pictures showing the lights fitted to your RT please? Seriously looking at these for mine which I’m collecting on the 1/3/22. Many thanks. I’m

Here goes chaps - although these are expensive, you can transfer them if you change to another BMW.

Attachments

• IMG_8717.jpg
    IMG_8717.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_8718.jpg
    IMG_8718.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_8720.jpg
    IMG_8720.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 183
On my 2007, i mounted a pair of small round spots to the front mudguard screws. I used the spot lamp mounts and a slightly long bolt(20mm instead of the 16mm bolt). There is no vibration and the turn with the direction of the forks. Although the spots are only 10w they give a good spread of light at night and also act as daylight running lamps. Being only 20w with a draw of lower than 5A for both, the need for a relay is not necessary and i could have run them from the front accessory socket. I decided to run directly to the battery with a low amp relay.
Ive use the same spots for years and only buy a new pair for each bike. Although very cheap they are waterproof and in 5 years none have stopped working.
This is where i bought my last set eBay item number:165087963737

I ordered some of these last week for my 1200rt twin cam, just waiting for them to be delivered, I picked up some Denali mounts from here the other week which I have fitted, I want to install an on/off switch, but have a switched live as well, any ideas on the best place to find a switched live please?

I have small Denali's on my new to me RT TC, you can see the switch position to the right of the mirror. These are automatically on with headlights unless you switch off, they also adjust brightness when you switch to highbeam
7635258ffe83895fd6b9204c6093304a.jpg
ee369f5b47f253e378005783f6758dc0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom