New to XT. How do I .....

I just got the XT and use it much the same way as described on my iPhone/iPad, although I always export as GPX 1.2 but I make sure that I use MRA to mark some of my waypoints as proper Via points (the hand icon on the map) and then when I import into the XT there seems to be less chance of it differing too much from how MRA calculated it. I just make sure if I have 100 points on MRA to make enough of them via points at strategic places that I can always get back on track should the XT try and choose a slightly different route, or I get lost and need it to recalc.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 13.31.44.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 13.31.44.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 13.31.57.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 13.31.57.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 93
I do it much the same way in MyRoute and then into my XT or BMW Connect app.

do you have a way of keeping waypoints when moving into Connect app. Mine just shows the route, but not the waypoints.

do you have a way of keeping waypoints when moving into Connect app. Mine just shows the route, but not the waypoints.

Thats a good question cause for me, whether I use shaping points or via points on MRA, and whatever version of GPX I export it as when its imported into the Connected app the support points don't show as actual waypoints :(

Thats a good question cause for me, whether I use shaping points or via points on MRA, and whatever version of GPX I export it as when its imported into the Connected app the support points don't show as actual waypoints :(

what I have found is in one of the menus (three little dots top right). You can convert to a list of waypoints and the reroute, this will keep the waypoints, but may change the route.

A tad time consuming but does work & will allow you to follow a route using waypoints that can be skipped through the TFT or candle should you want to.

I use basecamp don’t know if this can be done in My Route? Place waypoints along your intended route without creating a route, number each waypoint 1-50 (maximum permitted in the Connected app), transfer to the App. In the App place the waypoints into number sequence which creates the route you wanted, which is the same if created using the app which is frustrating.

If there was a Connected version for the PC or even I Pad sized, creating routes with waypoints would be child’s play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post #27

Isn’t that just sending a list of via or waypoints to the BMW Connected app and asking it to create a route of its choosing between them? In other words the app selects the roads, not you? Or have I misunderstood you?

There again, if you send enough via or waypoints, it will force the Connected app to near enough follow certain roads, just as it will just using a normal Garmin device.

If I send a set of waypoints to the App it creates its own route which is not my intended route,
hence numbering them in basecamp. If I create a route in basecamp with waypoints, send to the App I am unable to skip waypoints on the TFT/cradle as it does not seem to recognise the waypoints.

By sending a list of waypoints I then toggle them into the numbered order I gave them in basecamp, i then have the correct route with waypoints i can skip.

Or am I missing something?
396a901847044b1c28ca2761f4ed464c.jpg

The same route without altering the waypoints in the app.
5aa82409f5083ce0b559bd4ac8252969.jpg

OK thanks. Now I understand you.

It never crossed my mind to number via / way points, not least as I rarely use them.

Richard.

There again, if you send enough via or waypoints, it will force the Connected app to near enough follow certain roads, just as it will just using a normal Garmin device.

I make extensive use of both Via and Shaping points in MyRoute.

Anywhere that I definitely want to go to, I switch to a Via Point (using the little hand icon in MyRoute). Anything else is automatically a Shaping point. I also make sure to name the Via points as clearly and simply as I can - i.e. "Lunch", "Morning Fuel", etc...

The XT then will definitely take you to each Via point, and try to route the rest of it using the Shaping points to the best of its ability. If traffic conditions change, it will then change the route between the shaping points according to your preferences - i.e. "Avoid Highways" etc..

Then when you import the route into the XT, you can choose your next destination when you tell it to GO - so you could start halfway along the route for example. You can also skip Via points while riding using the on-screen button. You can't start at or skip shaping points.

Via points are visible on the route as you ride, but shaping points are not. You can also select to display time remaining/distance/arrival time to your next Via point, which is pretty useful.

So the more Via points you use, the more hardwired the route will be to what you planned on the PC/Tablet/Phone

Tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbRh2mHdmeM

Back
Top Bottom