Windows 11

g.s.john

Getting old aint fer pussies
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Windows are pestering me to up grade to 11 currently running 10
anyone done it, does it cause problems?

I upgraded and found it slowed my pc up quite a lot so changed back to 10.
Question was asked in the computer section and consensus of opinion was to wait a bit until any teething troubles are sorted out.
The early users are often the guinea pigs for a new operating system.
Try it, you can always go back to 10. Or wait until it’s been tried and tested.

My early experiences of Windows 10 suggest that anything would be an improvement on it which is why I donated an expensive Dell laptop running it to my granddaughter and bought another MacBook.

My early experiences of Windows 10 suggest that anything would be an improvement on it which is why I donated an expensive Dell laptop running it to my granddaughter and bought another MacBook.

It was Windows 10 that convinced my Mrs to get a Mac - I had tried tried tried, but it was Windows 10 that did the trick :D

She's not looked back...;)

Windows 11 looks better than Windows 10 in some respects but as far as I can tell has no real benefit. My shiny new Asus laptop wants me to upgrade but, having played with W11, there's no way I want it until it works. Reieasing a new version of Windows that needs a registry hack to move the taskbar sums it up for me.
I tried creating install media for a 4-year old desktop powered by an unsupported AMD cpu (with TPM2) and W11 installed and runs. It's slow to start but that may be because it's on a traditional HDD and evry othe rOS I boot is from an SSD of some sort. In use it's adequate but there are, I understand, issues with AMD cpus.

The impression i am getting is don't bother, is there any truth in the rumour that windows will slow down v10 to get you to change?
v10 starts up in under 30 seconds i will leave it until windows stop supporting v10.
But i will ask the same question in 12 months time thanks for all the answers and opinions.

No TPM chip on the motherboard.

dont need one its easy to tell the install that you have one, have a look on the net, however is it worth the effort? I have 11 on my laptop and No not really. There may be bits under the surface that make it better but the bit you see is not and in some ways worse.

Windows are pestering me to up grade to 11 currently running 10
anyone done it, does it cause problems?

Yup, I did a couple of months ago. No problems with the upgrade, and at first various processes in Win 11 ran a little faster than 10. A subsequent auto update to Win 11 slowed things down a bit and caused an irritating problem with an invisible 'box' by the start menu that always showed the hour glass timer. The most recent update to 11 has fixed this problem and I think the PC is running faster than ever. My PC is a Dell Inspiron 17-3000 so nothing fancy. So in summary I'd say "go for it".

My Lenovo upgraded to 11 in the early hours of Sunday morning!

Apart from Microsoft turning the power off button into a game of Hide & Seek, everything seems fine and pretty familiar.

Windaz11 will (try?) to put all local user folders onto one-drive , thats pictures,vids,documents etc. I've found getting stuff back into local HD folders a large faff and its likely if you have a lot of crap stored you'll run of of one-drive space for which they ask you to pay for more. They seem to do this under the guise of security but its just trying to tie you in more IMO. They also make it less obvious on how to create a local non MS email account/or similar) for local login, again trying to get you stuck into the MS ecosystem for future exploitation.
Other than that I find the menus, taskbar and other stuff less intuitive in W11 compared to W10 so as long as W10 is still supported and patched I'd stick with the older OS.

Tip for lots of OneDrive space - buy a Microsoft 365 Family Subscription. Usually £79.99 but Amazon has them direct from Microsoft for c. £55 a year.

This gives 6 users full Office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.) plus 1TB of OneDrive EACH.

HTH

A

Back
Top Bottom