1200RT 1600 GT Panniers won't lock in place

dmilne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hepl please..:confused:

Over the past 2 years I've been unable to get the panniers to lock into position on my 2015 RT. Same mechanism as the 1600.
You drop the pannier in position onto it's 3 locating lugs, then gently close the carry handle which locks into place and locks the pannier into place.
It can only be released by turning the ignition key to the "release" position on the lock, the carry handle then pops up. Lift and carry away the pannier.

That's how it's supposed to work...

However, when fitting the pannier(s) I cannot close the carry handle to lock the pannier in position. I've tapped it gently many times and it used to eventually go down and lock into place.
Now it won't, so I cannot fit the panniers...

Liberal use of WD40 didn't work.

Removal, once they are on, operates normally.

Any ideas please? Apparently dismantling the internals of the pannier results in some swearing and eventually the purchase of a new pannier body.7

Thanks Dave

There's a little "widget" on the back of the pannier (well, there is on my TC RT) that rises up to lock the pannier in position when you press the handle down. I'd check that it's moving freely and there's nothing getting in its way.

There's a little "widget" on the back of the pannier (well, there is on my TC RT) that rises up to lock the pannier in position when you press the handle down. I'd check that it's moving freely and there's nothing getting in its way.

Thank you! I'll have a look at that when I get the WD 40 our again!!!

D

I had this problem.

Try putting the pannier in position and with your knee, put a bit of pressure on the bottom edge of the pannier and push it towards the rear wheel. You may have to find the right spot to press on. Push the handle down into position, don’t force it though.

There are small pins that move in and out and sometimes they don’t locate properly. A bit of pressure helps. The pins locate in a bar that’s connected to the handle as I remember. I took mine apart to figure out what was going on. I think it was a bit fiddly…:augie

I seem to recall this issue coming up on the K16 Forum years back.

IIRC the secret involved the small mechanical pawls inside the attachment clamps which prevent the mechanism from being latched when the cases are off of the bike. Turn the sidecase over and look into the mating socket that fits onto the bike and you'll see them. Something, maybe just a little wear & tear, could be preventing them from being fully depressed by the mating post on the bike.

I seem to recall this issue coming up on the K16 Forum years back.

IIRC the secret involved the small mechanical pawls inside the attachment clamps which prevent the mechanism from being latched when the cases are off of the bike. Turn the sidecase over and look into the mating socket that fits onto the bike and you'll see them. Something, maybe just a little wear & tear, could be preventing them from being fully depressed by the mating post on the bike.

Yep, That's a good description of the bits.... I found that pushing in the little mechanical pawls and applying more WD40 . (if you can push them both in at the same time), that allows you to close the handle and the big metal latches come out.. apply more WD40. They eventually locked into position on the bike. It doesn't always work but repeat manipulation and WD40 will eventually get then to lock into place.

Back
Top Bottom