Off line map with distance calculator-offline

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I’m going to sat on a plane for eight hours tonight I’d like to download a map of middle US with distance calculator-offline, am I mad.

The basic route is San Francisco to New Jersey picking up some tourist traps along the way, eg Mt Rushmore.

iPad or MacBook

Thanks

Most modern jets have Wi-fi, for free.

Try Pocket Earth Pro, which routes really well, but I think it needs a Wi-fi connection. The maps though you can download and will work without Wi-fi.

Assuming you have a Garmin or similar device, you could load it with US maps and use that to create routes. The mileage distances between points would be very accurate and it’d work off line, of course.

That being said, how accurate do you need to be. A map and a ruler (or even spanning your fingers) as suggested in the post above, would not be a million miles out.

I have never tried downloading Google maps to my iPad to use offline, but I thought I would give it a go.

I downloaded a chunk of NE France and the Benelux, which went OK. I then turned my iPad to aeroplane mode ie. making sure it was offline. I then just tapped about on the downloaded map and, hey bingo, it calculated what seems to be ‘as the crow flies’ distances. In total, in my example, 331.847 miles - a very exact number.

84fc12a4e5a8fa4ca7af6e88cdf83516.png

I haven’t worked out (as I haven’t tried) how to change the straight lines into actual ‘routes’ but if all you want to do is get an idea as to the distances (in a straight line) between places in America, when sat at 30,000 feet in row 97 B, it will do.

Play around, you can’t break it.

Back
Top Bottom