K1300Gt Exhaust can glowing red hot

Nookles

Reaction score
I have a 2010 K1300GT which is running on 3 cylinders until around 2000 rpm then seems to run fine after that.
I have a seven mile run into work, and the bike must be burning fuel in the can as it is glowing red hot internally by the time I get there. Header pipes are fine and a fairly even temperature across the four.
I have had a BMW mechanic run a 20k full service and diagnostics with no fault codes, but he has been unable to source the problem
All injectors checked for resistance.
Throttle butterflies checked.
All spark plugs renewed.
No 2 cylinder plug cap was swapped for one of the others and then the adaptation values were reset.
Fitted booster plug which registers the air temp correctly and is doing its job enriching the mixture.
At a complete loss what to do next so any suggestion will be welcome.

Get someone who knows how to diagnose rather than rely on a computer!!

Start the Engine FROM COLD and spray the headers with WD40

The ones that the WD steams off are running, The one that just wets the pipe is not !!

Do a compression test on that Cylinder DO a Spray pattern test on injector and is it not stick coils on these ??

Oh and Don;t leave it too close to someones car

I would not be riding it until you had that fixed to be honest !

It could be a burnt valve letting loose into the Exhaust ! But a compression test will show that

Thanks for the advice.
Mech seems to think valves are okay and clearances have been adjusted.
I don't believe he did a compression or leak down test but seems confident this isn't the problem.
We know its No 2 cylinder and he has checked the injector for resistance although possibly not the spray pattern.
I have run redX through the tank and given it a blast out without it making difference.
As the bike seems to run reasonably well at higher revs I'm suspecting its a wiring fault or the ECU rather than the injector.
I should mentioned the coil on No 2 cylinder is new.

Sounds like either a leaking injector &/or the Lambda to me. Nonetheless I would suggest swapping the coil sticks around at some stage, just to see if the problem shifts with them.

You seem to have the injector suspect in your sights already. The lambda may seem counter intuitive, as you have no codes, but I am wondering whether the sensor will have become become badly contaminated with unburnt fuel.

When did the problem start? Before or after the coil replacement? Swap everything over from another cylinder see if that moves the problem. Including spark plug. It’s not running fine after 2000 rpm even if it feels like it. Is there any fuel in the oil? JJH

When did the problem start? Before or after the coil replacement? Swap everything over from another cylinder see if that moves the problem. Including spark plug. It’s not running fine after 2000 rpm even if it feels like it. Is there any fuel in the oil? JJH

Problem occurred before coil replacement.
Even after the swapping coil caps around the problem was still on No 2 cylinder.
All spark plugs replaced with new.
No fuel in the oil either.

Could well be, I'll get it checked and let you know how I get on.

I have a 2010 K1300GT which is running on 3 cylinders until around 2000 rpm then seems to run fine after that.
I have a seven mile run into work, and the bike must be burning fuel in the can as it is glowing red hot internally by the time I get there. Header pipes are fine and a fairly even temperature across the four.
I have had a BMW mechanic run a 20k full service and diagnostics with no fault codes, but he has been unable to source the problem
All injectors checked for resistance.
Throttle butterflies checked.
All spark plugs renewed.
No 2 cylinder plug cap was swapped for one of the others and then the adaptation values were reset.
Fitted booster plug which registers the air temp correctly and is doing its job enriching the mixture.
At a complete loss what to do next so any suggestion will be welcome.

My K1300s end can glowed inside if I used the cheaper grade of petrol and rode it hard.

As the first mechanic couldn't find a solution I took the bike to Graham's Motorcycles in Bradford and Stephen found the problem within two hours. It helped that he had the diagnostics from the first mechanic and he eliminated it being a compression problem based on his experience of these bikes and the fact that valve clearances were good. He lifted the tank and shone a light down onto the air intake throttle bodies while the bike was running and noticed that the No 2 boot/seal was perished and leaking causing the bike to run lean and on three cylinders. It was obviously not apparent without the bike running so was probably missed by the first mechanic on that basis. I am replacing all four seals and whole cost will be £457 which is more than reasonable to get the bike back in shape. The only downside is that I was halfway to getting the wife to agree to a newer replacement :( still it's a great bike so I shouldn't grumble. Sometimes the simplest solutions are right under your nose!

Back
Top Bottom