Look what this sold for

An FS1E in need of recommissioning sold at the National Motorcycle Museum H&H auction for £10k the world of vintage bike ownership has gone mad !

If it’s a genuine Gaston Rahier tank it would certainly be a desireable thing for a fan, or Dakar memorabilia collector, and at auction it has obviously found it’s own price, if they are genuine bidders.
I would hope there is more provenance than just a signature, but difficult to Prove with a tank.

I recently got a quote for a new 32L G/S PD steel tank - from reputable German supplier.

Not signed

2500 euro

Ill contact someone in India - see how much they can knock them out for !

That’s a good idea - you’d probably find the first 10 would be less than perfect but once they got into the swing of it you probably wouldn’t be able to tell them apart.

In this instance, what happened to the rest of the bike?

I remember a GR tank at the BMW club southern section auction held at SPC once a year. It sold for £225, this was in the early eighties. …. I had a G/S PD bike in for a customer in 2004/5, he asked me to sell it for him. I put up for sale on the forum, Maverick (Dirk) bought it for £1800. It had a genuine GR PD tank fitted with signature, but the owner had had it resprayed and the signature was sprayed over :D

We are a community of middle aged blokes (mostly) with arguably more money than sense, but there are much dafter things you could spend your hard earned on ��

I paid £400 for a new old stock PD tank a few years ago and people thought i was nuts :)

Mental. It's easy to forget just how much money some people have.

When you pull home £10,000 a month, £2000 on a tank is irrelevant.

It doesn't mean is necessarily worth that. It was just worth it to that person at that time.

If you have people fighting over something at that price, then that's different.

It’s simple, how much is a brand new bare tank in primer from BMW? Probably around £1500 plus 20% VAT, (£1800) and that’s if they are still available, then get a top quality paint job, add a filla cap, add two petrol taps, add two BMW badges, add a pair of knee pads, then add the decals, including the Gaston Rahier decal and you are are into a lot of dosh, certainly northwards towards £3k or more.

Regarding tanks made in India, the ones that I have had experience are absolute sh#te!

Would you spend what it costs to do a top restoration on a G/S and then put a fake tank on it, I doubt it.

Still a hell of a lot of dosh though!

It’s simple, how much is a brand new bare tank in primer from BMW? Probably around £1500 plus 20% VAT, (£1800) and that’s if they are still available, then get a top quality paint job, add a filla cap, add two petrol taps, add two BMW badges, add a pair of knee pads, then add the decals, including the Gaston Rahier decal and you are are into a lot of dosh, certainly northwards towards £3k or more.

Regarding tanks made in India, the ones that I have had experience are absolute sh#te!

Would you spend what it costs to do a top restoration on a G/S and then put a fake tank on it, I doubt it.

Still a hell of a lot of dosh though!

Who does a top quality paint job ?

Back
Top Bottom