It’s arrived…. XT….

Wapping

Reaction score
With more bits in the box than a Lego model of the Golden Gate Bridge. I am rather taken with the old style mini-USB socket thing.

Nice looking screen, certainly bright enough to dazzle. The magnetic connection plate is very similar to that on my motorhome Garmin, which I quite like.

Time to update its software and get an SD card into it for some Open Street Maps, which are always handy as a back-up. The Italians have confirmed my conversion cradle is on its way. Touch wood, everything is looking good so far.

I took mine out of the box, charged it up, switched it on and it said there’s a map update to do. Turned it off again and put it back in its box. It did say if the wifi signal is lost whilst doing the update it could go tits up. Sod that with the Wi-Fi at the campsite being extremely temperamental I’ll wait till I go to my parents house at Christmas and use theirs! Then I’ll worry about swapping mounts on the mighty 1150. :D
I’ll fit the Innovv K5 at the same time. :thumb2

The update, at least at home, went along swimmingly well, though I’d be very reluctant to do it wirelessly in a hotel room or McDonalds.

I’d be very reluctant to do it wirelessly in a hotel room or McDonalds

I've done it once on the go via 4G on the iPhone – it went well.
I like to live dangerously though.

The initial linking between the XT and the Garmin Drive app was a bit flakey, with the initial connection (password bit) dropping off before the two devices found each other fully. The suddenly it just seemed to buck its ideas up and work out what it was it was meant to be doing. The Drive app seems simple enough.

Nah - you cannot do that (more data). It is a common complaint (rightly so) from people coming from Nav V or whatever the latest BMW version is called.

One tip. Don’t bother installing the Garmin Drive app to an iPad. It will install and will connect to the XT device. But it confuses the hell out of the device…. And out of me….. so I just deleted the app off my iPad. I then had to get the Garmin Drive app on my iPhone to shake hands again with the XT, which it was a bit reluctant to do at first but by following some prompts (including turning the XT right off) eventually it did it. I won’t be trying that little experiment again.

Nah - you cannot do that (more data). It is a common complaint (rightly so) from people coming from Nav V or whatever the latest BMW version is called.

It is indeed a negative mark. I’d trade off a simple dashboard (as on earlier Garmin devices) against all the weather apps, bird’s eye view, let me show you a text and an email junk.

I still miss the speedo page off the very old 26/28xx series where you could just have the speed front and center, information around it and then just listen to directions through headphones, bloody brilliant

I’d trade off a simple dashboard (as on earlier Garmin devices)
\

I do agree.
Dashboard customisation is something that is now available (I think) only on non-zumo devices.

I don't want that much extra data on the screen while navigating, but I'm kinda annoyed they removed the compass (I normally use 2D view, direction of travel up) with the latest firmware updates.

Like you, I use 2D with direction of travel up.

I like to see: Compass heading, estimated arrival time at via point and estimated arrival time at final destination. The latter two just so I can keep an eye on how the day is rolling along. The compass? Simply because I generally know the direction I should be heading, let’s say south east. If the compass is stuck for a long time showing north or north west, then I know I have gone wrong. The speed cell I can’t change but I’d happily do without it.

Trip data options for the right-hand side include heading, in the N, NE, E etc type format which gives an appreciation of heading if your in track up mode.

Trip data options for the right-hand side include heading, in the N, NE, E etc type format which gives an appreciation of heading if your in track up mode.

Yup, I’m with that :thumb2

My whine (I am sounding like a schoolgirl) is the inability to alter the dashboard of the XT’s map / route screen, to have some additional data (owner selected) shown by default. Versions right up to the Nav VI and its Garmin generic equivalent, could do this. It’s been dropped by the XT, though I can easily get a text or email to pop up, which I don’t want as I hoon through the twisties or navigate central Rome in the rush hour.

On earlier Garmin devices there was even the option to display ‘Less map, more data’ and visa-versa. This seems to have been replaced by the ability to tell if it’s possibly going to start raining and to phone your mum for guidance if it does.

What is annoying is that the keyboard is QWERTY but they have divided it into two separate tabs, effectively on two separate screens. If it is to be split in two, they might at least make it alphabetical.

Back
Top Bottom