Help, please! Ignition wiring and stuff...

Seedy

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I've just purchased a stolen/recovered, Feb 2010 R1200 GS TU from Copart (www.copart.co.uk) as a winter project.

The 'sh*ts' that tried to nick it, have broken the steering lock and stuck a screwdriver down the barrel. More worryingly, they've cut the connectors away from underneath the ignition switch.

I've ordered the new ignition switch box, the steering lock and the replacement barrel etc, but I wonder if anyone has experience of repairing this kind of damage? If so, will these connectors do the job?

https://www.bike-parts-bmw.com/bmw-...cal-system/Repair-plug/4/61_2484/61/517310380

And if yes, which ones for the ignition system?

I am stuck at the moment, due to waiting for a replacement V5 being issued by DVLA, who are still at home on their Peleton's :comfort Once I get that, I can order a replacement key etc.

Any and all help, much appreciated.

Kind Regards
CD

Attachments

• IMG_5842.jpg
    IMG_5842.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 341
  • IMG_5841.jpg
    IMG_5841.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 324
The red and the green wires go to the ZFE ecu from the ignition switch.
The Yellow&brown and green&brown (twisted pair) along with the white&blue and the yellow&white all go to the BMS-K ecu from the ring antenna.
You have not mentioned the ring antenna, you will need one if they have trashed it.
The ring antennas picks up the signal from the key, so the key will need to be matched to the BMS-K ecu.
I do not know which plugs you need off hand. Try telling the dealer that you need the plugs for the ignition switch and the ring antenna.
Good luck and a Merry Christmas.

Hi, thanks for the explanation re colour coding etc. Yes, I've already ordered the ring antenna, and hopefully once I get the V5, I can order a replacement key, that'll be coded to the bike. Also it means I can remove/unlock the panniers (I hope).

I can order a replacement key, that'll be coded to the bike. Also it means I can remove/unlock the panniers (I hope).

Your new key will not unlock the panniers...
You need to search Utube on how to pick the locking mechanism,
Then search again on how to key your key into the locks before replacing them back into the panniers..

In case you were unaware, there are loom repair connectors sold by BMW, part numbers available on the parts fiche online such as MaxBMW etc etc. Could be cheaper than buying a new loom?

One example is on ASCycles.com website, fiche for GS hexheads, sub-category section 61 General Electrical System. Lots of connectors shown.

One example is on ASCycles.com website, fiche for GS hexheads, sub-category section 61 General Electrical System. Lots of connectors shown.

Thanks for this. I had a look through, but they seem to be selling complete looms at around $1,500 (It might just be me), but I've ordered a loom from eBay for £70, so I am hopeful that it'll solve the problem and hasn't been too expensive. I've bought all the hardware (steering lock, barrel, antenna etc) for £128, and I think a replacement key from BMW is around £35, so I am hoping to put the bike back on the road for much less than my £500 budget. Although it's a write-off, I think for a 2010 bike with 16,000 miles, full BMWSH it'll owe me £5,500

Happy Days....

For anyone else with this dilemma, if you go a couple of levels deeper on the fiche, all the individual wiring connectors used on the bike are shown with part numbers, described as repair items. No need to order a full loom from dealers at great expense. Seedy I hope the used loom you await will be perfect for fixing the bike, keep us updated.

Seedy dont crimp the cables around the head stock, from experience this will cause future issues. Im fairly sure you weren't but just saying :D

Trace your current broken cables back into the loom away from the headstock and make your joint there.
I used heatshrink crimps when my ignition cables broke. This means you need to remove the tank.

Also when your putting the repaired loom back refrain from overtigtening the cable ties especially at the headstock make sure cables move freely when steering lock to lock.
Apologies if this sounds like im teaching your granny to suck eggs.

Hi Jersey, I really appreciate this and there is no egg-sucking here...:JB

I actually would have gone the easy route and spliced adjacent to the headstock, but your comments make perfectly good sense. I think your version will create a longer-term fix, given that the repair won't be moving back and forth (hopefully)!

Thanks for this additional information...

All the parts are now on order and the battery is going through a recovery cycle at the moment, so fingers crossed on that. Everything is really on hold until DVLA issue the V5 and I can get some replacement keys. Once I can remove the panniers, then it'll fit through my garden gate and into the garage, so fingers crossed...

Back
Top Bottom