A bit of Christmas cheer

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I bought my 700 new in July 2020, I specified genuine Yamaha heated grips fitted
However it soon became apparent that they were woefully ineffective at heating your hands in anything but late spring to early autumn
At 11 months old (Yamaha have a 12 month warranty on genuine accessories strangely on a bike with a 24 month warranty-go figure?) I reported the faulty grips to Yamaha Europe and was told to take it to a dealer to inspect and report back
Due to Covid and dealer summer workload I couldn’t get a service booking until early September (when the bike was 14 months old)
Service Dealer reports back to Yamaha that the grips are not fit for purpose
The fault has been reported worldwide on social media and in fact Yamaha has withdrawn their heated grips from sale, acknowledging that there must be an issue and presumably they are seeking a new supplier of heated grips across the range

Bearing this in mind you would have thought a warranty claim would be straightforward….

With BMW it would have been, but not Yamaha

It’s taken 6 months of batting back and forth

Yamaha dismissed the dealer warranty report saying it was outside the 12 month time frame, case closed

Servicing Dealer tells me to take it up with Yamaha again

Luckily I had an email record of them acknowledging the original complaint at 11 months old and a reference number from their system

So In October …..they will look at it again

However it’s been painfully slow progress with emails & documentary evidence taking 3 weeks each to get a reply back from Yamaha (they did apologise for their tardiness)

In the end, in mid December they proceeded to issue a refund via the original supplying dealer of the bike, who then said they would issue a credit note for the original £167 retail cost

However I said there was nothing that I wanted to purchase from them and pointed out in the email from Yamaha, stating they are issuing me with a full refund

So the dealer had to cave in and transfer funds to me, today

A little victory of sorts…..perseverance has paid off and I didn’t expect it to take exactly 6 months to the day, from the outset

Moral of the story - don’t give up, keep your cool & be polite, record your evidence and thank people who helped you along the way (I rang the service manager today at the local dealer who serviced the bike, to thank him for his help in September and he was pleased that someone actually took the trouble to update him of the outcome)

Next step ….fit some Oxford heated grips in spring

This bit stands out Johnny..

It worked for me, it wasn't the amount...............but the principle

Yamaha had withdrawn the genuine accessory from sale, so they knew about the issue

However no recall, redress or refund was issued to current owners who had purchased a duff product....................which I felt was wrong

Yamaha came good in the end, for me

Yamaha came good in the end, for me

Not really, they issued a pittance of a refund....it was Oxford who came good for you in the end :D perhaps that's the problem with buying new, sort it yourself and you could have had warm hands for the last 18 months :D :D
Happy Christmas JB :beerjug:

£167 for grips they do not work.:eek:
My Oxford Adventure grips have been warm as toast all for a lot less than Yamaha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 283
Dealers do have a habit of 'hiding' behind manufacturers warranty.

I bought from you.They don't work. Give me my money back.

Not really, they issued a pittance of a refund....it was Oxford who came good for you in the end :D perhaps that's the problem with buying new, sort it yourself and you could have had warm hands for the last 18 months :D :D
Happy Christmas JB :beerjug:

Thanks for the advice
Everyone said the Yamaha ones were ok and turned out not to be
Still, all sorted now
Merry Christmas to you both too

JB , why you waiting until spring to fit the Oxford grips ?

You not riding over the winter ?

Thanks for your kind words

We don’t all live on a semi tropical Channel Island
If you lived here where they salt daily, from November to April, irrespective of whether it’s freezing or not - you would know

In the South West you can ride daily

I did do 100 miles on the bike on 12/12, but you have to choose your days up here

£167 for grips they do not work.:eek:
My Oxford Adventure grips have been warm as toast all for a lot less than Yamaha

That’s going to be my choice & got them ready to fit

May do it over the Christmas break, if the garage isn’t too Baltic

Symtec heated grips.£90 from Ebay.
Make a hole in the rubber grommet for the Rocker switch..

You can buy the special connector that suits the design fitted (ebay)under the RHS fairing panel.Or chop and solder .
Sent an image of where I mounted the controller unit, helps with R&G mirror extenders :thumb2

You can buy the special connector that suits the design fitted (ebay)under the RHS fairing panel.Or chop and solder .
Sent an image of where I mounted the controller unit, helps with R&G mirror extenders :thumb2

Thanks again

My 2014 GSA has heated grips that ‘are not fit for purpose.’ BMW later modified them , without helping previous owners ( afaik). The Oxfords on another bike are far superior.

Thanks for your kind words

We don’t all live on a semi tropical Channel Island
If you lived here where they salt daily, from November to April, irrespective of whether it’s freezing or not - you would know

In the South West you can ride daily

I did do 100 miles on the bike on 12/12, but you have to choose your days up here

Pah! are you soft?
We live 10-miles from the Cairngorm National Park in a wee town called Nowhere-Ville, situated far far away in the back of beyond-shire...... achieved a 1st today (on a Christmas eve), by riding my 1150GSA 90-miles whilst wearing an open-faced helmet and wearing only a string vest for protection :eek took fookin ages to clean my bike :blast what a release though :)

Merry Christmas to all :thumb

Pah! are you soft?
We live 10-miles from the Cairngorm National Park in a wee town called Nowhere-Ville, situated far far away in the back of beyond-shire...... achieved a 1st today (on a Christmas eve), by riding my 1150GSA 90-miles whilst wearing an open-faced helmet and wearing only a string vest for protection :eek took fookin ages to clean my bike :blast what a release though :)

Merry Christmas to all :thumb

Merry Christmas

Hardcore nut

Cool Yule and a Better 2022.
Who is Yamaha Europe?
I got via a link to the UK crowd, who wash their hands of assisting.
I had contacted the IRL dealer within 2 years about the broken gear
position switch, but didn't get around to fixing it though.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom