Is the RT easier to ride slowly than a GSA?

TOG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My new to me twin cam RTP is bloody lovely. It’s so easy to ride slowly. I feel planted on the road and the bike really holds the bends well.

Problem is I have a new 1250GSA which I love. I just can’t ride it as well when I’m going slow, pulling up to junctions etc.

Where the GS may wobble a bit withe the bars, the RT seems stead.

I don’t want this to be the case. I spent a bomb on the GSA!!!!

Could it be the smaller wheels on the RT, angle of the dangle, or is it just in my head. What the hell is going on?

I’ve had both in 1200 flavour. Can’t say I noticed any difference. There might be a different gearing but if there is it didn’t make any difference to me. JJH

Brackley ?

Did you have a Christmas tractor parade through the village the other weekend ?

I had a 1200LC RT and a 1200LC GS (not GSA). I would agree that the RT is the easier of the two to ride and control at very slow speed. I suspect the GSA will be worse than the standard GS as the increased weight is presumably all higher up in the fuel tank.

Not saying the GS is/was a problem in any way, just that I remember the RT as being surprisingly easy…

My new to me twin cam RTP is bloody lovely. It’s so easy to ride slowly. I feel planted on the road and the bike really holds the bends well.

Problem is I have a new 1250GSA which I love. I just can’t ride it as well when I’m going slow, pulling up to junctions etc.

Where the GS may wobble a bit withe the bars, the RT seems stead.

I don’t want this to be the case. I spent a bomb on the GSA!!!!

Could it be the smaller wheels on the RT, angle of the dangle, or is it just in my head. What the hell is going on?

I had a 2008GS and now have a 2013RT
The GS is lighter, has bigger wheels and lower gearing
It IS easier to ride at lower speeds, especially when tipping into corners while using the rear brake
The difference is not huge tho

Anything o do with the front tyre tread pattern and how it responds to v small steering corrections when at looow speeds?

Had GSA1250 and now RT1250 and haven't noticed any difference tbh.

Had a GS 1200 Rallye and now an 18 R1200rt I find the Rt much easier at low speed manoeuvring and balance .

You'll have to downtune your inputs on the GS bars too... Relax and don't grip too hard... I've had a hex RT and have an oilhead RT and a Super 10 and have to adjust between the two... Mainly the slow steering inputs... Wider bars and weight in different place👍

Simply IMHO they are about the same.

I am lucky to have a 2016 GSA & 2015 RT in the garage, I think they are about the same at slow speed however I would definitely say it’s down to the rider?

GSA, I’m 5.6” so stand up a lot at slow speed to help balance.

RT, much easier to reach the floor!

Just a short arse response! Lol

Back
Top Bottom