How long does your helmet comm battery last ?

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I use my helmet comms for incoming calls and Sat Nav instructions the battery typically lasts just about enough. Normally I only use the comms when on blood bike duty, which are 12 hour shifts, jobs are usually less than 4 hours. I did a job last week which comprised four rides, 75 minutes, ten minute gap before 60 minutes, fifteen minutes gap followed by 45 minutes a ten minute gap before a 15 minute ride home, the battery scraped home

Im very pleased with the BMW System 7 comms, they have been the least problematic, coping well with changes of bikes and phones, although I have it connected to the Nav VI, not the bike. Most importantly they are very clear.

Its not practical to charge the comms when riding and its possible to do a run like I described abnove, come home and be called back out before the comms have been recharged fully.

Hence my interest in battery life as many people use theirs to listen to music, so what are you using and how long do they last ?

I have the integrated Sena comms in my Schuberth C4 Pro and the battery lasts as long as I need it to.....which just like you is doing 12 hour blood bike shifts.

I have never had it run out when riding so far. I know it lasts at least 12 hours which is pretty good. I don't normally listen to music though - just satnav and phone.

One good thing is that the battery is removable, so if I needed more I could just buy a separate battery and carry that around. I've never needed to do it though.

I use a Cardo Packtalk (original not Bold) I have had it for 6 years, still get a good 8 hours out of one charge.

Freecom 2 , 9 hrs min. 12 hours max , playing music + sat nav.
if i'm away i have a spare one, on charge on the bike , and i swop them over. i have a power pack/booster charging on the bike .
phone calls take lots of power out.

Interphone Avant. Talk to pillion, sat nav, phone. It gives about 2 days out of the battery. Not as good as the older tour model but as it’s a 2 channel unit I suppose it’s ok

Freecom 2 , 9 hrs min. 12 hours max , playing music + sat nav.
if i'm away i have a spare one, on charge on the bike , and i swop them over. i have a power pack/booster charging on the bike .
phone calls take lots of power out.

Packtalk Bold, lasts all day on tours, music and comms
Might get low battery warning towards end of day but still never run it dead

I too am very pleased with my BM comms but my battery is proper dead. Whilst we are on the subject ...Could any of you please tell me the "model" number of the battery so I may source it for less than my friendly dealer ?
Thank you in anticipation.

The other related problem is the helmet, my personal choice is Arai, but they don't make a flip, which whilst not a requirement is easier for blood biking and Rospa tutoring. I tried a Schuberth E1 with their comms, but had problems with continuous upgrades by Apple & BMW, which hasn't been an issue with the System 7. I tried a Shoei Neotec, but it leaked and was very noisy compared with the System 7 & E1. So at present Im sticking with the System 7 until I find something better. I also have a Tour X but no comms needed as its a weekend fun/holiday bike so no need.

The capacity of batteries declines as they age / receive charges. A typical LiOn battery has a usable lifetime of about 1000 charges - so 3 years if charged every day - by which time it will have something like 50% of capacity remaining.

My 5 year old Sena SMH5 used to last all day - 12+ hours continuously paired to my wife’s helmet with the chat channel open. Nowadays I’m lucky to get 6-7hours. I carry a small battery bank to recharge it whenever we stop for more than few minutes.

The capacity of batteries declines as they age / receive charges. A typical LiOn battery has a usable lifetime of about 1000 charges - so 3 years if charged every day - by which time it will have something like 50% of capacity remaining.

My 5 year old Sena SMH5 used to last all day - 12+ hours continuously paired to my wife’s helmet with the chat channel open. Nowadays I’m lucky to get 6-7hours. I carry a small battery bank to recharge it whenever we stop for more than few minutes.

For info

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/553173-Sena-SMH5-battery-replacement?highlight=Smh5

Back
Top Bottom