Suggest Recommend route Cherbourg/ one week/ Cherbourg

redcap0006

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, last night I read and read here, and didnt get inspiration. Doing a trip, small group, various style bikes, arriving Cherbourg of a Thursday morning next July. We have a week. Seeking suggestions, recommendations based on experience. Our intentions are likely to get to switzerland head to germany and back to Cherbourg for the following Wed departure sailing. A sort of a anti clock direction Not intending to do huge milage each day, mix of hotels and camp sites. Some of us retired chaps and all having military and car/bike interests. Willing to read a book, magazine should one be suggested. piss taking allowed. TIA

Well, if I was heading for Switzerland/Germany I wouldn't start from Cherbourg. Especially if I wad only going for 5 days and not massive miles per day.

If the ferry is already booked I would consider riding down Western France and riding back in an anti clockwise direction back to the port even as far as the Northern Pyrenees. Or ignore the Pyrenees and head east towards the Limousin or Auvergne region. Plenty to do around there and you could just book 3/4 nights in the one hotel and do a leg of a clover leaf each day from that point.

I've attached an idea of a route, but I personally, would head to one place and spend a few days there. Then if anybody doesn't want to ride for a day; they can chill out.
b0c246dfbebb7ad44f567208c29e5746.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Have you actually calculated the distance from Cherbourg to Basel, probably the closest point in CH? It's 9 hours of riding on a motorway according to Google.

As post #2. If you want to go to CH, don't sail to Cherbourg (although just noticed you are in Ireland so maybe that's the furthest east you can get).

If you want some alternative suggestions, staying in France and doing a loop in Brittany, along the Loire or down to the Massif Central then let me know.

BTW, the Cotentin Peninsula itself, is worth a day of pottering about. There are some spectacular beaches, including D Day ones, museums and nice little towns as well as some scenic roads. I quite like the NW & NE tips with the lighthouses.

If your thinking of booking Condor Ferries to Cherbourg dont expect a reliable service the two cross channel ferries they use Liberation and Voyager don't like naughty conditions.
So they will cancel at the slightest bit of weather.

When we went to Switzerland we did Calais to Dijon, overnight stop. Dijon to Lauterbrunnen and from there you can go back up through Germany. I suppose it depends on your agenda and what you wish to see.

When we went to Switzerland we did Calais to Dijon, overnight stop. Dijon to Lauterbrunnen and from there you can go back up through Germany. I suppose it depends on your agenda and what you wish to see.

I see sence in each of the above 4 posts. Likely to stick with the Switzerland destination, two stops on the way, circle the wagons then, do some sightseeing and getback a diferent route. Googling Dijon and Lauterbrunnen, might be something for us there, cheers all

He and his (small group of) mates, seem to want to start from Ireland (Eire) / Cherbourg and to return via Cherbourg.

Hi, last night I read and read here, and didnt get inspiration. Doing a trip, small group, various style bikes, arriving Cherbourg of a Thursday morning next July. We have a week. Seeking suggestions, recommendations based on experience. Our intentions are likely to get to switzerland head to germany and back to Cherbourg for the following Wed departure sailing. A sort of a anti clock direction….Willing to read a book, magazine should one be suggested. piss taking allowed. TIA

Willing to look at a map?

3110078203df05cfeecb262618d82c6b.jpg

Willing to forego excursions to war and vehicle stuff, in order to go forward at an unknown speed?

Willing to forego camping, in order not to potentially waste time making your roof, bed and doors?

Willing to do more miles than ‘Not intending to do huge milage each day’ might imply? In passing, what daily mileage do you and your mates think is huge?

Over to you and your mates.

PS If you want something to chew over with your mates, have a look at: https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-content/france-total-touring If nothing else it will give you an idea of times and distances.

miles per day as Wapping relates to above (we all differ) early risers or sleep in and on the road at 10.00 am. likes and dislikes of the folks traveling, (eg museums and sightseeing) or just none stop riding. all this will give people a better idea of what to suggest.

I see sence in each of the above 4 posts. Likely to stick with the Switzerland destination, two stops on the way, circle the wagons then, do some sightseeing and getback a diferent route. Googling Dijon and Lauterbrunnen, might be something for us there, cheers all

If you want 2 stops to get to Lauterbrunnen then I suggest you miss Dijon. For day 1, avoid Paris and have a decent day across non motorway to Orleans
Thurs: Cherbourg to Orleans 240 miles so you can hit a few D roads, assuming you are off the ferry early
Fri: Orleans to CH border e.g. Pontarlier around 300 miles so use the autoroute for a bit
Sat: only 120 miles to Lauterbrunnen so a day for exploring the passes e.g. Jaunpass and maybe some of the high ones near Lauterbrunnen.
Sun: day off the bike or do a circuit over the high passes
Mon: Troyes 290 miles inc some motorway
Tues: Saint Lo 300 miles if you skirt the west of Paris
Wed: 55 miles to Cherbourg, so either a blast up the motorway for an early ferry or a day dicking about in the Cotentin for a later ferry

Those are some chunky miles to be doing if riding every day. More than I want nowadays. I'm quite happy to ride 300 or even 400 miles between bases but then prefer to stay in the same place for 3 nights, but you only have 6 nights between the ferries and want to see Switzerland...

Id be inclined to suggest a counter clockwise route that is more circular, via verdun, Metz, troyes, Montmedy, Revin, Auberge, and down agin. Some great roads in that area. And Verdun is a poignant stop for war lovers

Tell us:

A. What time do you expect to leave the ferry terminal gates at Cherbourg on the Thursday morning?

B. What time do you have to roll back in through the ferry terminal gates on the Wednesday?

C. What is your maximum daily mileage?

D. What average daily mileage do you want to do?

E. What time do you plan on starting most days?

F. Do you like regular stops for photographs, flower pressing, fags, toilet breaks, coffee?

G. What time do you want to finish in the afternoon?

H. How many days off (if any) do you and your mates want / need?

I. What is the attraction of going to Switzerland? Is it a must do destination?

J. What is the reason for camping? Like Switzerland, is it a must do?

K. Are you all, ‘We never do motorways. I’d rather rip my eyes out’ merchants?

In short, tell us all something (preferably everything) about you and your party on various style bikes, please.

If you really want to do Switzerland I would suggest blasting to and from Andermatt, 3 nights there gives you 2 days to ride the figure 8 loop ) Furka / Grimsel / Susten / Nufenen / St Gothard, you can also squeeze the Oberalp / Tremola into a single day, plus a few dead end roads well worth the excursion ;-)

...Can be damp / foggy so having 2 full days there buys you a second chance - and several other great days riding out you can do - I would suggest trying the Splugen and San Bernadino.

Lauterbrunnen could easily be worked into your route on / out - or tagged onto the figure 8 loop I mentioned.

Some routes here (can view them with free account, but not sure if you can disable seasonal closures so right now some might look odd)

https://www.myrouteapp.com/profile/routes/485#981738/name/asc

Not sure if a week means 7 days / 7 nights (8 days) or with weekend at each end (9 days) etc.

2 days commited to Andermatt as above - leaving 5-7 spare, so you could do this without having to just blast via motorway the entire route....

...so how long you really got?

Morvan, Vosges and doubs are all sort of on the way and could break up the Motorway monotony a bit.

A lot also depends on what time the ferry drops you off / picks you up?

Willing to look at a map?

3110078203df05cfeecb262618d82c6b.jpg

Willing to forego excursions to war and vehicle stuff, in order to go forward at an unknown speed?

Willing to forego camping, in order not to potentially waste time making your roof, bed and doors?

Willing to do more miles than ‘Not intending to do huge milage each day’ might imply? In passing, what daily mileage do you and your mates think is huge?

Over to you and your mates.

PS If you want something to chew over with your mates, have a look at: https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-content/france-total-touring If nothing else it will give you an idea of times and distances.

much obliged

Tell us:

A. What time do you expect to leave the ferry terminal gates at Cherbourg on the Thursday morning?

B. What time do you have to roll back in through the ferry terminal gates on the Wednesday?

C. What is your maximum daily mileage?

D. What average daily mileage do you want to do?

E. What time do you plan on starting most days?

F. Do you like regular stops for photographs, flower pressing, fags, toilet breaks, coffee?

G. What time do you want to finish in the afternoon?

H. How many days off (if any) do you and your mates want / need?

I. What is the attraction of going to Switzerland? Is it a must do destination?

J. What is the reason for camping? Like Switzerland, is it a must do?

K. Are you all, ‘We never do motorways. I’d rather rip my eyes out’ merchants?

In short, tell us all something (preferably everything) about you and your party on various style bikes, please.

a. arriving 1130, not done this crossing before (unknow what red tape awaits)
B. Ship departs 1630 so boarding probably 1430
c. not young anymore, to be discussed
d. nothing like a direct question to get one thinking-again to be decided by group
e. If its my choice, earlyish, not fond of long days in saddle ( already doubting Switzerland possible)
f. frequent stops are my choice
g. note to self, check weather forecasts
h. your right, plan a day off
i. Switzerland is the initial destination, probably meeting mates there, which may not happen, need to have a plan B
j. camping! your right, no need
k. motorways, not fond of, need the group to meet and decide lots before a plan can be written up
The trip is a group of 6 booked to travel at the moment. Could get larger, the pandemic may halt everything, who knows. A few lads waiting for permission to go...Mostly bmw, mines a Triumph, fuel stops ! I guess I DO have a lot of discussion ahead before I can make suggestions to the group as to how we proceed. Also to listen to what they want. If the Switzerland destination is knocked on the head then there is a lot of food for thought in the above replies which I am grateful for and not just asking for the sake of asking. We are genuinely doing this
Appreciate peoples taking time to reply. Its what make the site work for me where total strangers DO give some great advice
In short this is not entirely about my plans, but what plans we the group make based on suggestions of those gone before us. AGE and camping are rather up top on the agenda and I see a template based on what you ask me back to the group. I will in a couple of weeks revisit with plan A, for opinion constructive critism or whatever; stay safe all

Thank you for the full reply.

In no particular order.

Six bikes (and maybe more) is quite a big group. One fuel stop alone might, if you are not disciplined take half an hour. That, on French D roads is about 15 to 20 miles. Lunch stops, coffee stops, photograph stops, will all take a while, too.

If you boat docks at 11:30, I’d guess you’d be out of the ferry gates at around 12:15 and, by the time you have chatted at your rendezvous point, it may well be 12:30 which (conveniently or not) is time for lunch in France. Cherbourg is at the top of the Conentin peninsular. To be blunt, it’s quite a long way from nowhere really. To give you an idea, it is roughly three hours on the main roads to, say Laval. You say do not want to be finishing late in the afternoon. If you say you are on your way by 12:30, that would be 15:30. Add in 30 minutes for a tea break / fuel, will give a 16:00 time at the hotel. I’d maybe aim for somewhere around Laval.

Now comes the tough part. You, as so many do, want to avoid motorways. I’ll bet that with a group of six (or more) you’ll not be off, wheels rolling, much before 09:30 most mornings. Why you’d want to go cross country to Switzerland from Laval’ish, avoiding motorways, with your group of six plus riders of varying / unknown qualities is beyond me. But hey, it’s your holiday and your posse. It can be done, of course but you know you, better than we know you.

My suggestions would be:

1. You want war stuff. The ‘best’ war stuff is on the north Normandy coast, with all its D Day stuff / a bit on the Atlantic coast for the U-boat pens. You maybe don’t want to head to Laval if you want to do the Normandy coast but it can work. Look at a map and imagine where you want and need to go the next day and the day after that and the next day.

2. If you don’t want war stuff you could have quite a good holiday, down the western half side of France, right down to say, Bergerac; country roads all the way there and all the way back.

3. You might maybe suggest that your Swiss chums meet you in, say Clemont-Ferrand or Limoges (or anywhere along that axis) and have quite a good time there or there abouts.

Then back to Cherbourg, via different roads that you rode down on. In view of your departure time, I’d stay about two to two and half hours’ ride from the port and have a leisurely ride up on the day of departure. That side of France has plenty of the French ‘Tourist’ Bison routes, get the Michelin blue 726 map, which is designed specifically for holidays like yours.

Over to you.

ac1c51843a7d26f40352558c12ff0254.png

Something like this would make a pretty good week away:

993d33c439b47da28fee3c3df17bb84b.png

It does though show how big France is,

1. That is five individual (unevenly spaced, note) stops between leaving Cherbourg and returning to Cherbourg.

2. It avoids motorways and goat tracks.

3. It is 1,100 miles, give or take a yard or two.

You now do the maths on how many full days riding you have, not forgetting that your first and last days are only really half days; bods often forget this. Then work out how many miles / hours in the saddle you want to do. Consider if you want a day (or a full afternoon) off somewhere. What stops during the day you might want….. and do remember, when you are stopped, even for a pee break, you are not moving forwards, bods often forget this, too.

PS Now wonder how you were going to do Cherbourg > Switzerland > Germany > Cherbourg, avoiding motorways and taking time to see ‘stuff’, all whilst not doing too many miles a day and finishing in time for afternoon tea on the lawn….. and camping, into the bargain!

Like Wapping, I have organised group trips. As he says, 6 is getting to be a decent sized group, especially if that is 6 bikes. I have had 11 (8 bikes) on a trip to the Loire & La Bourboule but usually fewer.

Organising such a trip by committee is a chore. I think Wapping and I use similar approaches i.e. tell people where I am going and ask them if they want to come along. We then differ in the execution as Wapping plots routes and leads the ride. He plans this well as I have found when I joined a few trips. My group is a little different. I like to ride the D roads whereas others are all about getting to the destination by the quickest route or want to stop at a castle or take a 2 hour lunch. I am often riding solo and we meet up for pre-prandial drinks. I get people to book their own sea crossing and I book hotels choosing the pay later and free cancellation option. Inevitably people drop out and even more likely at the moment so travellers have to pay a bit extra for the flexibility. I must be doing things okay as most came back every year from 2014 to 2019. We hope to get another one done in early May as we missed 2 years. I think they like a benevolent dictator, or dumb fúck volunteer as AndyB would call it.

Something Wapping hasn't mentioned, if camping, you need to factor in the extra time for breaking down tents each morning.

He’s given up the camping idea, thankfully.

Wessie has it about right, I think. A different way of organising things but near enough the same end result. I particularly like the
…..benevolent dictator, or dumb fúck volunteer…..
I might well get that printed on a T-shirt.

He’s given up the camping idea, thankfully.

Wessie has it about right, I think. A different way of organising things but near enough the same end result. I particularly like the I might well get that printed on a T-shirt.

it's better than Tour Dad or Tour Captain...

Like Wapping, I have organised group trips. As he says, 6 is getting to be a decent sized group, especially if that is 6 bikes. I have had 11 (8 bikes) on a trip to the Loire & La Bourboule but usually fewer.

Organising such a trip by committee is a chore. I think Wapping and I use similar approaches i.e. tell people where I am going and ask them if they want to come along. We then differ in the execution as Wapping plots routes and leads the ride. He plans this well as I have found when I joined a few trips. My group is a little different. I like to ride the D roads whereas others are all about getting to the destination by the quickest route or want to stop at a castle or take a 2 hour lunch. I am often riding solo and we meet up for pre-prandial drinks. I get people to book their own sea crossing and I book hotels choosing the pay later and free cancellation option. Inevitably people drop out and even more likely at the moment so travellers have to pay a bit extra for the flexibility. I must be doing things okay as most came back every year from 2014 to 2019. We hope to get another one done in early May as we missed 2 years. I think they like a benevolent dictator, or dumb fúck volunteer as AndyB would call it.

Something Wapping hasn't mentioned, if camping, you need to factor in the extra time for breaking down tents each morning.
Good points, well made. I have a very similar approach and it works well.

The point of trying to organise by committee is something the OP will have to give serious consideration as you can't please everyone.

Make up a plan of what you want to do and you will find most will be happy. It's the planning that most folk can't be arsed to do. Make sure the group understands that it's your holiday too and you're not there to babysit etc. They will still turn to you if a problem turns up during the tour, so be prepared for that.

Good luck and enjoy the planning, it's all part of the holiday.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom