Late booking a ferry on return to UK

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone experience of turning up at a ferry without a ticket or booking on the day?

I've usually been on a return to work schedule and booked out and back at the same time, but now retired I fancy a bit more flexibility for a summer trip next year. I've looked at the Eurotunnel flexible tickets but they a bit pricy so thinking about a ticket out only and see what happens on the way back.

Yes, it's easy if using the tunnel or Dover ferries. Not a dead cert if using the longer crossings.

Whichever route you use, book online, even if only just outside the port, as they tend to charge more if you just rock up and pay at the port.

Anyone experience of turning up at a ferry without a ticket or booking on the day?

Are you talking about Dover/Calais crossing?

Yes, that is perfectly ok. I used to do it in the early years after moving to the UK. You show up at the port, buy any ticket and most times they will put you on the first ferry out (regardless of what your ticket says) if not peak times/days.

On the train, bought the ticket at check-in at Calais a couple of times as well. It is a bit pricey, but in my experience still cheaper than buying a fully flexible ticket (if they still do those).

These last couple of years I traveled without an hard fixed return date (both car and motorbike). I generally buy the ticket a few days in advance and just get a flexi ticket for the day I'm traveling – so you can show up at anytime during then day.

If you are not traveling on peak vacation days, especially on a motorbike, prices are sedate enough.

I’ve turned up at the tunnel in France and got a ticket for a train An hour later. However, when we arrived at Calais for a ship we could get a ticket, but it was for six hours later and was more expensive than the tunnel.

Thanks all, yes, probably Calais, but St. Malo/Caen would be easier to Poole if a possibility, but realise tunnel should be easier.

Be aware that some travel insurance policies specify that you need to have a return journey to the UK booked before you go.

Thanks all, yes, probably Calais, but St. Malo/Caen would be easier to Poole if a possibility, but realise tunnel should be easier.

the Brittany Ferries ships can be full at peak times and only sail twice a day. You really need to know you have a slot before you rock up to the port, so ideally book the day before once you have decided to go home.

Be aware that some travel insurance policies specify that you need to have a return journey to the UK booked before you go.

Not aware of that and just checked my annual policy from Axa via Puffin Insurance.

It mentions covering pre-booked trips but it does not specify a return journey has to be booked or any other definition of what a pre-booked trip means except for UK travel.

This is the paragraph:
"Your policy is valid for travel within your home area where you have least 2 nights pre-booked accommodation or pre-booked transport at least 50 miles from your home, or travelling abroad where the trip starts and finishes in the UK."

It makes sense that they will only underwrite pre-booked travel plans in the event of cancellation but they cannot have any liability for any stuff not yet booked and paid for! They are quite clear that if I stay away more than 32 days then my cover will lapse.

Not aware of that and just checked my annual policy from Axa via Puffin Insurance.

It mentions covering pre-booked trips but it does not specify a return journey has to be booked or any other definition of what a pre-booked trip means except for UK travel.

This is the paragraph:
"Your policy is valid for travel within your home area where you have least 2 nights pre-booked accommodation or pre-booked transport at least 50 miles from your home, or travelling abroad where the trip starts and finishes in the UK."

It makes sense that they will only underwrite pre-booked travel plans in the event of cancellation but they cannot have any liability for any stuff not yet booked and paid for! They are quite clear that if I stay away more than 32 days then my cover will lapse.

Your policy stated that the trip ‘starts and finishes’ in the UK.
They do argue that you didn’t plan to return home if no return ticket is held. I know this from experience when a trip was cut short due to injury. As no return ticket was booked it was deemed that We didn’t intend to return and it was a nightmare to get settlement.

Also worth noting that there are many aspects to the policy, not just coverage of the actual ferry ticket.

When I’ve been on extended trips (17 months being the longest) I booked the cheapest flight I could find to the UK just so I had proof of intention to return.

Your policy stated that the trip ‘starts and finishes’ in the UK.
They do argue that you didn’t plan to return home if no return ticket is held. I know this from experience when a trip was cut short due to injury. As no return ticket was booked it was deemed that We didn’t intend to return and it was a nightmare to get settlement.

Also worth noting that there are many aspects to the policy, not just coverage of the actual ferry ticket.

When I’ve been on extended trips (17 months being the longest) I booked the cheapest flight I could find to the UK just so I had proof of intention to return.

but you did get settlement as they knew they were not going to win

I have a contract of employment with limited annual leave and I have to prebook my leave. Any reasonable person (which probably excludes insurance loss adjusters) would accept this as adequate evidence that the trip was of limited length. An insurer can argue with me for as long as it takes to refer the case to the Ombudsman. They would not win.

it was deemed that We didn’t intend to return

How can they?
As Wessie stated: if one is employed/self employed, is resident at an address in the UK, pays taxes here... it is really not easy to "not intend to return" by just not booking a ticket in advance.

How can they?
As Wessie stated: if one is employed/self employed, is resident at an address in the UK, pays taxes here... it is really not easy to "not intend to return" by just not booking a ticket in advance.

I’m just telling you what happened. Not whether it is right or wrong. That was my experience on that occasion.
On top of my then wife having fractured vertebrae and coccyx, back braces and lots of pain it didn’t add to the fun, as you can imagine.

You're retired...

...If I were retired I would not care less, worst case = an extra day (or two) holiday ;-)

I've usually been on a return to work schedule and booked out and back at the same time, but now retired I fancy a bit more flexibility for a summer trip next year. I've looked at the Eurotunnel flexible tickets but they a bit pricy so thinking about a ticket out only and see what happens on the way back.
why not book both crossings and then amend the return journey, seems to be cost free although you do have to take what you are offered at busy times https://help.eurotunnel.com/hc/en-gb/articles/209246425-What-happens-if-my-ticket-expires-
I have had to book a fresh crossing a couple of times once due to mechanical issues, I just booked via my phone on the way to the coast, the other due to weather we decided to come home a day early, surprisingly (or not) it was considerably cheaper to book a single with the French ferry company than to move the UK company booking forward... go figure !

Back
Top Bottom