New to the forum with an R1100GS

Deleted account 220419001

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought I'd say hello, I've just taken ownership of an R1100GS, my first GS, and my first BMW!

I've not even ridden it yet, so I'm quite looking forward to having a go.

Here's a few pics, some of you might have seen it on Ebay:
7dGUWV48.jpg

bs1K29tz.jpg

It has paint flaking from all the usual places on the engine, but looks pretty honest. Few scuffs here and there, on the tank etc. Öhlins rear damper, which is nice. What strikes me is how sturdy and solid it feels.

Plans are, get it up and running (it has MOT until April), see if I like it (I think I will, it's completely different from any other bike I've had - I currently have an old FireBlade as my other bike) and then potentially give it a bit of a resto-job.

Hi all,

Thought I'd say hello, I've just taken ownership of an R1100GS, my first GS, and my first BMW!

I've not even ridden it yet, so I'm quite looking forward to having a go.

Here's a few pics, some of you might have seen it on Ebay:
7dGUWV48.jpg

bs1K29tz.jpg

It has paint flaking from all the usual places on the engine, but looks pretty honest. Few scuffs here and there, on the tank etc. Öhlins rear damper, which is nice. What strikes me is how sturdy and solid it feels.

Plans are, get it up and running (it has MOT until April), see if I like it (I think I will, it's completely different from any other bike I've had - I currently have an old FireBlade as my other bike) and then potentially give it a bit of a resto-job.

I fell into the same trap nearly 10 yrs ago; a huy i knew was selling his low milage one owner 1100 like yours at a price i thought was worth a punt; bloody ell do they get under your skin or what; mine is the first choice for just about anything i do; cracking bikes;;:beerjug:

You should have a lot of fun with that and certainly be able to go places you can't on your Fireblade. That is if you put some decent tyres on it and intend use it's capability.

Electronically they all got much more complicated after the 1100 and the 1150 so easier to sort out when you need to.

When you set off you'll hear a 'whir-clunk' fear not, they all do that :thumb

You noticed it’s got ABS ☺️

The FireBlade is an older one (1998) so by modern standards it’s almost a tourer, but I fancied something completely different to accompany it in the garage. Certainly looking forward to getting to know the GS better..

Back
Top Bottom