Won't start

I have had fuel lines disintegrating with E5 some pipes react badly to any ethanol.

Isn't there a vacuum pipe on the carb/fuel tap on Evo's...

I remember having to remove the tank on Twizzles Harley when he had a similar problem at one of the Le Hog weekends..
I don't know, but I'll have a look

S&S Super E ?
Petrol tap flows petrol easily but nothing flowing further?
Very likely the float valve sticking shut, so the carb float bowl doesn't fill up and the fuel line effectively airlocks.

You could try tapping around the float bowl, or blowing down the fuel line to the carb.
Happens a lot on my XLX-61 due to irregular use.

Or blocked starter jet and/or pilot jet.
Worth a look. I'll get it down to my local independant. It's not my bike so I'm reluctant to mess with it too much

Strange man.
If the bike can't run on E5 what use is it? I could change fuel pipes, but there are a hundred other pipes, tubes, seals etc that come in contact with the fuel. I'm pretty sure that many people are running Evos on petrol they can buy at fuel pumps rather than distilling their own E0

If the bike can't run on E5 what use is it? I could change fuel pipes, but there are a hundred other pipes, tubes, seals etc that come in contact with the fuel. I'm pretty sure that many people are running Evos on petrol they can buy at fuel pumps rather than distilling their own E0

I merely suggested a possible reason. I don't know if the bike has had any fuel lines changed at any time. There is a lot of crap quality stuff out there ( I know I have to send lots of shit back which is supposedly top quality)
Pardon me for trying to help.

HD website states any model from 1980 (so all Evo’s) should run okay with E10 as it’s been used in the US for a long time.

Maybe it’s just the 4 months (since August) that it’s been left sitting around which it doesn’t like?

I suppose older bikes in particular like to be used fairly frequently to run well. When I bought my bike it had done only 500 miles in over 10 years and has cost a lot of time (and money) replacing stuff (carb refresh and new fuel lines, gaskets in the engine and seals in the primary etc) to get it running fairly well and with no oil leaks.

You can also add new battery, tires, alternator and gearbox work.

It’s certainly a labour of love (and hate particularly when it lets you down on a road trip to France). :D

HD website states any model from 1980 (so all Evo’s) should run okay with E10 as it’s been used in the US for a long time.

Maybe it’s just the 4 months (since August) that it’s been left sitting around which it doesn’t like?

I suppose older bikes in particular like to be used fairly frequently to run well. When I bought my bike it had done only 500 miles in over 10 years and has cost a lot of time (and money) replacing stuff (carb refresh and new fuel lines, gaskets in the engine and seals in the primary etc) to get it running fairly well and with no oil leaks.

It’s certainly a labour of love (and hate particularly when it lets you down on a road trip to France). :D
Actually, it was only a couple of weeks from an amusing ride around Sandwich and environs (and a fill-up) and it not starting.

So this won't start (it's an Evo of unknown vintage). Turns over a treat, big fat spark fuel in the carb, but not even a cough (apart from one big bang).

Last rode it in August and it was fine, filled up with fuel and rode it home. Left on a charger for a month or two, then nothing.

Your suggestions on a postcard . . . .

Last ride in August you said initially...:nenau

Anyway let your indie sort it out. Better that someone who knows what their doing has a look rather than trying to seek various internet opinions.

Last ride in August you said initially...:nenau

Anyway let your indie sort it out. Better that someone who knows what their doing has a look rather than trying to seek various internet opinions.
You're right, I said month when I meant week.

But I think you're right, time to get somebody on the job that knows what they're doing. Maybe I'll get a bogoff with the 55.

Does the website also state that Evo’s that have completely non-standard aftermarket parts for the complete fuel system will work too? :D

Back
Top Bottom