Won't start

stolzy

Reaction score
So this won't start (it's an Evo of unknown vintage). Turns over a treat, big fat spark fuel in the carb, but not even a cough (apart from one big bang).

Last rode it in August and it was fine, filled up with fuel and rode it home. Left on a charger for a month or two, then nothing.

Your suggestions on a postcard . . . .

My knowledge of Harley's is limited (very limited) but, is it possible to drain the carb and then allow it to fill with fresh(er) fuel from the tank then give it another try?
I have had a couple of engines recently that simply will not run on the fuel in the carb if it has been in there a few months.

Was it last filled with E10?

I’ve read it somewhere that carbs don’t like the newer fuel being left in them without being used every few weeks.

I only put super unleaded in my 1990 Evo.

The carb air cleaner cover looks like an S&S

Assuming the motor is a 1340 then the carb is likely to be a Super E

If it is? then drain the float bowl and refill with fresh fuel and give it a crank over :thumby:

My knowledge of Harley's is limited (very limited) but, is it possible to drain the carb and then allow it to fill with fresh(er) fuel from the tank then give it another try?
I have had a couple of engines recently that simply will not run on the fuel in the carb if it has been in there a few months.

Was it last filled with E10?

I’ve read it somewhere that carbs don’t like the newer fuel being left in them without being used every few weeks.

I only put super unleaded in my 1990 Evo.

Only to see it pour out of all the seals that are fucked .....:D:D:D:D

The carb air cleaner cover looks like an S&S

Assuming the motor is a 1340 then the carb is likely to be a Super E

If it is? then drain the float bowl and refill with fresh fuel and give it a crank over :thumby:
It's never had E10 in it. I rode it last end-Aug as I recall (filled it that day), tried to start it a week or two later and it wouldn't go. Tried several times since and it's never started. I don't think stale fuel is the problem, but it couldn't to drain it and try

Got my 'Ole 55' ready after it's respray and now that won't start either. Suspect the fuel tap, it's pissing petrol and the filter isn't filling.

Someone is trying to tell you something.. :nenau

Maybe stop trying to educate idiots in the Virus Section all the time and ride your bikes more often :D

It's never had E10 in it. I rode it last end-Aug as I recall (filled it that day), tried to start it a week or two later and it wouldn't go. Tried several times since and it's never started. I don't think stale fuel is the problem, but it couldn't to drain it and try
I have had this fuel problem since around 2006, so long before E10... not sure what "but it couldn't to drain it and try" means?

In English it means 'it couldn't hurt to drain it and try':blast
I did try several words/versions but missed that one :D

Yes if it is just a case of draining the float bowl without removing the carb, give it a go :thumb2

Isn't there a vacuum pipe on the carb/fuel tap on Evo's...

I remember having to remove the tank on Twizzles Harley when he had a similar problem at one of the Le Hog weekends..

S&S Super E ?
Petrol tap flows petrol easily but nothing flowing further?
Very likely the float valve sticking shut, so the carb float bowl doesn't fill up and the fuel line effectively airlocks.

You could try tapping around the float bowl, or blowing down the fuel line to the carb.
Happens a lot on my XLX-61 due to irregular use.

Or blocked starter jet and/or pilot jet.

Could be newer type fuel breaking down the fuel pipe creating "sludge" which can stick the float valve shut and gum up all small drilling in the carb.

Back
Top Bottom