Solar Charger

garethstew

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks i am looking for some help and thoughts on the best solar charger set up to get. I am planning on camping a lot next year and will need something I can take with me on the bike and charge my phone maybe even my helmet battery and gizmos. There are so many options to choose from just wondering what you guys are using.

Get a big power pack 25kish with at least 2 outlets and charge off the bike during the day while riding.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Get a big power pack 25kish with at least 2 outlets and charge off the bike during the day while riding.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Agree, simplest way been dong that for the last four years, 3 week camping trip each year never had a problem, comms, Apple Watch, air mattress pump, iPad & phone ( although the phone is normally charged while I ride as well).

Agreed. A decent power block brick thing, from the likes of Anker, is far more effective. Charge it as you go along on your hooning way. Most cafes and restaurants will allow you to plug it into their mains supply to charge it up, too.

Another option to consider would be a small portable jump-starter battery such as a Noco GB40 or similar. You can charge your phones etc., recharge it when out on the bike and you have the added bonus of being able to jump-start the bike (or car) should you need to. I bought one 5 years ago from Amazon and it's still going strong. I've used it a couple of times to start the bike and the car, it has never failed to start whatever it was connected to. I take it with me when we go away on the bike, and the rest of the time it lives in the car boot. I'd highly recommend one.

Last edited:
Another option to consider would be a small portable jump-starter battery such as a Noco GB40 or similar. You can charge your phones etc., recharge it when out on the bike and you have the added bonus of being able to jump-start the bike (or car) should you need to. I bought one 5 years ago from Amazon and it's still going strong. I've used it a couple of times to start the bike and the car, it has never failed to start whatever it was connected to. I take it with me when we go away on the bike, and the rest of the time it lives in the car boot. I'd highly recommend one.

I carry one, as well as the Anker Powerpack, but refrain from using it as a Powerpack as I ‘know’ that the time I need it will be just after I’d used it to recharge the gadgets and it will be below 50% and unable to start the bike. (Sod’s law in action).

I should add that it worked as intended when the Motabatt battery failed on my R1200GSA (Hexhead), started the bike a number of times until I got home ( fuel & food stops).

Back
Top Bottom