Scottish New Year....

Jazbee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
MEMORIES OF SCOTTISH NEW YEARS ......
Steak pie getting cooked, taxi's been booked, Mum getting praise for how good she looked, house had a scrub, there's hunners of grub, your Da getting grief for going to the pub, mushy peas, pieces on tongue and on gammon, Tuc biscuits with cheese and John West salmon, a schemie feast instead of a famine, buns of cherry, currants, and Madeira , we couldn't afford anything dearer, excitement is building the bells getting nearer, there's Smirnoff, Babysham, Whyte and McKay, Bacardi, Gin, and Canada Dry, with mixers supplied by the Alpine Guy, You're allowed a wee Advocatt, or a cheeky wee Shandy, a sly can of beer from Uncle Andy, kissed bang on the lips from all of your Aunties, Stereogramme ready with musical gems, Abba, The Drifters, and Boney M, all getting blasted 33 RPM, now they're all minging, someone starts singing, hoose full of smoke, your eyes are all stinging, they all sing songs that make them greet, Nobody's Child a particular treat, an orphanage song makes all party's upbeat, Wild Side Of Life, Booby McGee, Little Old Wine Drinker Me, Tie A Yellow Ribbon To An Old Oak Tree, only 8 more New Year nights to go, to every Aunty and Uncle you know, brilliant to see all your cousins though, and although at times I make it seem tragic, what I would give for one night of magic, to see all our loved ones would make me ecstatic. Happy New Year when it comes to you all, and a glass lifted for those not here,may the beautiful memories outshine the tears....

Aye, plus black bun on the food list and probably some left over turkey.

And first footing, great concept that would see you getting home as the sun was coming up. There are things you should carry if you first foot someone, most important one being a bottle (whisky obviously), wee bit of coal and a wee lump of shortbread or similar. And by the time you've given everyone in the house a dram from your bottle and they've all done the same, you've a good head of steam. Then in to the next one :beerjug:
When I lived in Gairloch it could take a couple of days to get round your friends.

Happy New year when it comes :thumb

MEMORIES OF SCOTTISH NEW YEARS ......
Steak pie getting cooked, taxi's been booked, Mum getting praise for how good she looked, house had a scrub, there's hunners of grub, your Da getting grief for going to the pub, mushy peas, pieces on tongue and on gammon, Tuc biscuits with cheese and John West salmon, a schemie feast instead of a famine, buns of cherry, currants, and Madeira , we couldn't afford anything dearer, excitement is building the bells getting nearer, there's Smirnoff, Babysham, Whyte and McKay, Bacardi, Gin, and Canada Dry, with mixers supplied by the Alpine Guy, You're allowed a wee Advocatt, or a cheeky wee Shandy, a sly can of beer from Uncle Andy, kissed bang on the lips from all of your Aunties, Stereogramme ready with musical gems, Abba, The Drifters, and Boney M, all getting blasted 33 RPM, now they're all minging, someone starts singing, hoose full of smoke, your eyes are all stinging, they all sing songs that make them greet, Nobody's Child a particular treat, an orphanage song makes all party's upbeat, Wild Side Of Life, Booby McGee, Little Old Wine Drinker Me, Tie A Yellow Ribbon To An Old Oak Tree, only 8 more New Year nights to go, to every Aunty and Uncle you know, brilliant to see all your cousins though, and although at times I make it seem tragic, what I would give for one night of magic, to see all our loved ones would make me ecstatic. Happy New Year when it comes to you all, and a glass lifted for those not here,may the beautiful memories outshine the tears....

Aye, plus black bun on the food list and probably some left over turkey.

And first footing, great concept that would see you getting home as the sun was coming up. There are things you should carry if you first foot someone, most important one being a bottle (whisky obviously), wee bit of coal and a wee lump of shortbread or similar. And by the time you've given everyone in the house a dram from your bottle and they've all done the same, you've a good head of steam. Then in to the next one :beerjug:
When I lived in Gairloch it could take a couple of days to round your friends.

Happy New year when it comes :thumb

Aye, nostalgia isnae what it used to be! Fond memories of much of the above though. Excepting only the music which was of a much older vintage in an extended family whose older members stretched back to the early part of the 20thC. Uncle Willie (a pit overseer at the Lady Vic in Nitten ) played the fiddle and songs like "The Road and the Miles to Dundee" got an outing. Invariably followed by "The Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen". Then an eightsome reel. Christ ... how that front room accomodated an eightsome is anybody's business, but it did!

Happy New Year one and all. Lang may your lums reek!

No idea what the rest of you are up to right now, but my ears are being assaulted by the rest of my family - 3 adult children and their other halves - all playing Unstable Unicorns, a game that is completely new to me. What happened to Risk?
Enjoy your new year y'all, however it comes to you - but it has got to be a bit better than this.:beerjug:

Here's to you all; let's see what next year brings.....
2f1c1f207dc23b55bf661461ab6d166c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

A Scottish New Year Wish:
May the best ye hae ivver seen be the warst ye'll ivver see.
May the moose ne'er lea' yer girnal wi a tear-drap in its ee.
May ye aye keep hail an hertie till ye'r auld eneuch tae dee.
May ye aye juist be sae happie as A wuss ye aye tae be.

The above, in translation, reads:
May the best you have ever seen be the worst you will ever see.
May the mouse never leave your grain store with a tear drop in its eye.
May you always stay hale and hearty until you are old enough to die.
May you always be just as happy as I wish you always to be.

Happy New year to all :beerjug:

I did have a few drams last night, couple of houses visited and even got some black bun in one of them :thumb

A good start to the year.

1pm the shinty is on, current team against the veterans, always a good occasion as the old boys take it seriously and the young lads are generally still pissed. Then everyone goes to the pub. Whisky and bagpipes are involved.

That takes the prize for the strangest thing I have seen or heard about this year.

Long may your lums reek, everyone north o’ the border :flag

Black bun helps your beard grow quickly - if you have one!

Back
Top Bottom