Fuel lines leaking

de crowe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What are the recommended replacement fuel lines ? For my R80 GS 1991. I see on one of the forums that some people use a yellow Tygon fuel lines?
What do you guys recommend? Thanks in advance and safe riding for the new year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been looking to change the hoses on my bikes and have found some information regarding ethenol compatability.

These are the SAE J30 specifications for ethenol friendly fuel pipes, so we need eiyjer R9 or R14 grades.

The SAE J30 R9 is a high pressure hose that is readily available but because it is a high pressure hose the 7mm will have an outside diameter of 12,5mm which may prove a bit difficalt for the crossover pipe.

The SAE J30 R14 is a low pressure hose so it should have a thinner wall section then the R9 but it doesn't seem readily available.

Im picking up some of the R9 in a day or so and will let you know how i get on.

Attachments

• Hose.jpg
    Hose.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 210
Using tygon here, only because of success for several years in RC aircraft. It is fine for Ethanol. Downside is it is clear yellow, they do black but not easily obtainable. You can see any stuff or water in the line, but it looks out of place on the bike. It does go hard after a few years as well.

That eBay stuff looks good. But R6 is slightly bulky. Motorworks doubtless ideal, plus ID and OD and with their proper clips will all fit as per original. I would choose that next time.

R9 Fuel injection pipe does not stretch and impossible to fit cold and very bulky. I got a piece initially and failed with it.

Any half decent car spares shop should have a large selection fuel hose.
And a lot cheaper than the very same hose sold at bmw parts suppliers.

Using tygon here, only because of success for several years in RC aircraft. It is fine for Ethanol. Downside is it is clear yellow, they do black but not easily obtainable. You can see any stuff or water in the line, but it looks out of place on the bike. It does go hard after a few years as well.

That eBay stuff looks good. But R6 is slightly bulky. Motorworks doubtless ideal, plus ID and OD and with their proper clips will all fit as per original. I would choose that next time.

R9 Fuel injection pipe does not stretch and impossible to fit cold and very bulky. I got a piece initially and failed with it.

Have you fitted the motorworks stuff ?

I
I use the Motor works fuel line. Good fit to the taps and junctions. Not too thick to pass under the airbox. Fuel hose from the auto factors tends to be too thick, at least from my local factor.

Mine has the identical hose used by BMW for about £4/£5 a metre :D

Motorworks don't make their own hose, they buy it in and add their mark-up.

Any half decent car spares shop should have a large selection fuel hose.

That's exactly what I did. Brought a piece of the old pipe with me & they matched it exactly. Without the outer braid but that always seems to look untidy at the ends. Bought 2m, have done 3 bikes & still have nearly half of it left. Cheap as chips & easy to push on once the end is warmed in hot water, no leaks

That's exactly what I did. Brought a piece of the old pipe with me & they matched it exactly. Without the outer braid but that always seems to look untidy at the ends. Bought 2m, have done 3 bikes & still have nearly half of it left. Cheap as chips & easy to push on once the end is warmed in hot water, no leaks

wifes hair dryer works to warm it as well, but for some reason she gets pissed as hell when I take it out to the garage to do stuff like that, sometimes they are really weird wives are !!!! totally unreasonable

wifes hair dryer works to warm it as well, but for some reason she gets pissed as hell when I take it out to the garage to do stuff like that, sometimes they are really weird wives are !!!! totally unreasonable

Why d'ya think I use hot water :D

Car parts shop always a cheaper place to get fuel lines.

I always trim the braid a little short at the ends with a good pair of 'electronics grade' side cutters. Then add a short length of heat shrink sleeve at each end. Bobs yer Uncle.

Braided hose always looks better.

:thumb

The OEM BMW hose on the GS was actually marked BMW 6 MM X 11 MM and the date, in my case 3/93.
I replaced mine as a precaution around 10 years ago, stored a bit in E100 {meths, of Irish Whisky} and ten years later it still looks OK.
Auto high pressure fuel hose to the already Mentioned J30/ R9 in 6 mm dia is cheap and easy to find, gets a good grip an the fittings without clamps and the OD is around 11 mm so it fits under the airbox fine.

Back
Top Bottom