Renewing and cancelling insurance shortly after

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quick question. It should be straightforward, but you never know...

I should have a new car coming in May 2022.
This means trying to sell my current old Estate between March April as I need the car till Feb/early March, can be without it for a while after that.

With my usual luck... Insurance renews on March the 3rd.
The new car is essentially a lease through work, and it includes insurance. It means that I'll have to terminate my current contract.

I was just wondering what would be the best way to do this.

My car is insured with Admiral, and I've been with them for quite a few years (>7 I think, if not 10).
Shall I just renew the policy as usual, pay it and then cancel it after a couple of months and get whatever refund (I think 3 months is the threshold)?

Any easier ways? Are there short term insurances out there that are worth it? I didn't look at what the market offers yet.

First port of call would be to speak to Admiral to see if they can add a month to the policy.
Next, get annual quotes for a new policy and read the T&C for cancellation as they vary. Use a comparison site.
Then find out what a short term policy for say 30 days will cost. There are loads of brokers offering this, from 1 day to quite a few.

I have no idea of your risk factors but one of these will be the most cost effective.

Thanks wessie.

Old cheap car (I'm paying about 6/700 a year currently) and >10 years NCB that I will also loose after one year not insuring any 4 wheeler. Not a massive problem to pay the 600 in advance and then wait for a refund, but I wanted to see any options. Will talk with them tomorrow.
Adding a month would be ideal if they do.

Thanks wessie.

Old cheap car (I'm paying about 6/700 a year currently) and >10 years NCB that I will also loose after one year not insuring any 4 wheeler. Not a massive problem to pay the 600 in advance and then wait for a refund, but I wanted to see any options. Will talk with them tomorrow.
Adding a month would be ideal if they do.

your NCB will last for 2 years after a policy lapses

As above its 2 yrs, just ask for a copy of your NCB when you leave Admiral

Didn't manage to speak with them yet. Long wait on the phone and I had something else to do.
I'll try again next week as standard business hours resume :)

Back
Top Bottom