Battery behaving oddly...GoldWing

Big Si

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had the mighty 'Wing on the bench for about 10 days or so recently. Unfortunately I forgot to connect it to the harley 800ma battery tender I usually keep it on (with no problems hitherto). Came to get the bike off the bench and just got the "click", no start, but headlights and instruments on (briefly so as to not run battery down even more). Checked and tightened battery terminals to no effect.

I then removed the battery (Yuasa GYZ20L oem) and stuck it on a 12V, 6 amp charger overnight. This morning, green light on the charger indicated battery charged, and when reinstalled, bike starts a few times no probs. I then take it for a 5-6 mile blatt around the area and hook up again to the Harley battery tender. This tender ( I have 2 and have swapped them over so I know it's not the charger) has a green power on light and then another light that flashes orange when testing/charging which then goes solid green when battery charged and being maintained. Thing is it never gets past the flashing orange state, and has been on all day.

Battery fooked??? ( Hope not, they are between £150-£200 to replace) (If you can get one at the moment).

Attachments

• battery charger.jpg
    battery charger.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 243
Try another charger first if you have one , the charger looks like a rebadged Deltran Battery Tender (I have had 4 bank one and two single chargers fail ) where before they went totally belly up they were not correctly charging batteries

Try another charger first if you have one , the charger looks like a rebadged Deltrans Battery Tender (I have had 4 bank one and two single chargers fail ) where before they went totally belly up they were not correctly charging batteries

Yes, I've got 2 of the ones in the pic. They both work as they should on the Road King, but both of them don't get past the orange (testing) flashing phase when connected to the Honda.:nenau:blast

Try another charger first if you have one , the charger looks like a rebadged Deltran Battery Tender (I have had 4 bank one and two single chargers fail ) where before they went totally belly up they were not correctly charging batteries

He said he did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the label on your charger says 800mA not 6A. The battery is 20Ah so a 1A charger would take 20 hours to charge it from fairly flat if running at full fat for every hour. As you charger will be going through cycles of charge a bit, monitor a bit, repeat, rinse, it might take your 0.8A charger a few days to fully charge the thing, depending on its algorithm.

the label on your charger says 800mA not 6A. The battery is 20Ah so a 1A charger would take 20 hours to charge it from fairly flat if running at full fat for every hour. As you charger will be going through cycles of charge a bit, monitor a bit, repeat, rinse, it might take your 0.8A charger a few days to fully charge the thing, depending on its algorithm.

I hear you, thanks, I'll leave it on and see what happens. The other (3rd) charger was a 12V 6amp which was showing battery charged after being left overnight on the bench.:thumb2

Common trend on wings (2018+ model) on USA based forum ............... don't know root cause , but I suspect the battery rather than the bike is at fault ? Mine is fine at present (disconnected during winter - not charged is my normal trend) ... but I am half eying up a Lithium replacement if necessary , dimensions a few mm different so need to measure about three more times

The only way to test a battery properly is to drop test it ( put it under heavy load) many garages used to have testers not so sure now. Can be a plate connection loose only shows when loaded as the plate can buckle.

Common trend on wings (2018+ model) on USA based forum ............... don't know root cause , but I suspect the battery rather than the bike is at fault ? Mine is fine at present (disconnected during winter - not charged is my normal trend) ... but I am half eying up a Lithium replacement if necessary , dimensions a few mm different so need to measure about three more times

I have emailed Doble's, the supplying dealer to check if they/Honda will wear it as a warranty claim. Fingers crossed.;)

I have emailed Doble's, the supplying dealer to check if they/Honda will wear it as a warranty claim. Fingers crossed.;)

If it helps, a friend of mine bought his Wing new from Doble November 2020 and had a battery failure which Doble’s replaced under warranty I believe

There are a few things that can go wrong with a battery that can be confusing. One I remember well was a nearly new battery on my mk3 cortina. Slow cranking and fully charged showing 11 volts. All cells up and equal on hydrometer. Not showing well on high rate discharge tester but not tailing off as you would expect. After many tests and a boffin getting involved the problem was found. Intercell leak. 2 cells had somehow joined together to give a 5 cell battery. JJH

If it helps, a friend of mine bought his Wing new from Doble November 2020 and had a battery failure which Doble’s replaced under warranty I believe

Thanks, it might.....I'm talking to them at the moment, we'll see how they respond. The bike is a 2020 with just under 5 k miles on it. I tested the battery today, once at rest after a bench charge and then whilst cranking over.

Attachments

• battery 2.jpg
    battery 2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 101
  • battery 1.jpg
    battery 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 108

Back
Top Bottom