MyRoute / IPad - Routing differences

Wapping

Reaction score
I noticed pretty early on that MyRoute on my iPad sometimes routed me differently if I chose the Default (OpenStreetMap) map over the HERE (MRA/Garmin) map.

For example, the Default map refused point blank to route me around the ring road to the south of Cambrai. The HERE map was only too happy to let me chose it.

The answer to the problem (which confused me like hell for a while, whilst I tried to force the route along roads it just would not take) lay here:

https://www.myrouteapp.com/support

3268b90f4e043245c2da5fbab47fc3c8.png

Of the two, I prefer the HERE map routing algorithm.

I have noticed that the MyRoute ‘Navigation’ app shows the same reluctance to take the Cambrai ring road to the south of the town.

The conventional MyRoute app (ie not the ‘Navigation’ app) installed onto my iPhone (once I have logged in) picks up all my personal settings, including my preferred routing map etc.

The My Route Navigation app is not great, it is still being developed and has quite a few bugs.

Does the MRA have a built in routing engine or does it use a third party one? I ask/mention this as a popular routing engine in the past has been Mapquest but after a contentious “divorce” a few years ago the Mapquest routing engine used by some apps does not have access to newer OSM data. Although the mapping displayed may be up to date the Mapquest engine may/will not route over newer roads created since the bust up

I would be interested to know if MRA will route over the new (it has been open for at least two years) Liverpool Gateway bridge across the Mersey

Wonder no more…..

82aa88c8dc12491fe2423d9e797b5a68.png

A to B, south to north.

For some reason I cannot see your attached image but I assume MRA does indeed route over the bridge. This is quite interesting (to me at least) as the beta of Pocket Earth will not route around that southern Cambrai bypass whereas the vanilla version does - perhaps Richard. You could confirm your version of PE is happy with that D643? This kinda suggests that the MRA uses the same engine as PE beta but is lacking some GPS traces over parts of the bypass

If you try that in PE it will throw a wobbly …

If you try that in PE it will throw a wobbly …

I agree, Pocket Earth Pro does not seem to like crossing Liverpool Gateway bridge across the Mersey.

I even tried forcing the route across the bridge. It routes as far as it can towards the Gateway bridge, then swings westwards to cross another bridge instead.

6efb51d58735c9195321f00a666c414d.png

It was exactly the same in MyRoute when I tried to use the Default (OpenStreetMap) to go around the ring road at Cambrai. It routed me as close to the via point as it could and then took me away again. It has to be a fault in OpenStreetMap, rather similar to when OpenStreetMap refused to route bods out of ferry terminals in Spain.

Interesting, that if you use the Standard map in MyRoute, it doesn’t know the bridge is there. It routes you to the middle of the river.

adbcfae9a6d8bfdb630524455f7f1687.png

If you then switch to a different map version, the bridge appears:

27a7267b71a9bd5ed4dd9bef6a383e99.png

Even OpenStreetMap……

51db4ea02f5072f80bcd986031b58ba5.png

5a4a8e24aea5d12808e5a0b3df57580a.png

I am going to contact MyRoute, to point out the routing deficiency around Cambrai, depending on the map option chosen.

Kritou, it might be worthwhile you contacting Pocket Earth, to point out the routing deficiency near Liverpool.

Let’s get back to MyRoute.

Here’s the oddity around Cambrai.

A. First in HERE, where it works perfectly

5d95936ed777e91158ab2e6060beac8c.png

B. Then in TomTom, where again it is perfect

26a83771a058ac556903657c55851416.png

C. Now in Default (ie. the basic free map) where it goes wrong

5a42b19809578da2aa8387ff91062f1b.png

When you zoom-in in the Default basic free map, you can see the software doing its best to route you to the via point on the ring road but it fails to do it. This is just the same as Kritou’s fault with Pocket Earth and and the bridge across the river. I guess it must all revolve around a problem within OpenStreetMap itself.

2e06b1f7d0b098b934ed6865c57e2538.png

I have tried umpteen ways to force it along the ring road but it always fails.

Switch back into HERE and it’s perfect:

97610a626d7e325ff50bfb6de412a050.png

Moral one: Take care if you are using the free basic version of MyRoute, it might not take you where you want to go.

Moral two: If you use the free basic version and export the route into your Garmin device, the mistake may well be carried over, too. You’ll probably shout a lot that it is all shite Garmin’s fault. It is not. The dumb device is simply doing what you have told it to do. Shout at MyRoute.

Moral three: Always check things, before you do anything else.

Moral four: Consider buying the Gold version of MyRoute. Then set your preferred mapping tool’s default to the map that works best for you.

Interesting (or not) that Pocket Earth Pro, with no prompting at all, routes you along the southern ring road, around the south of Combrai.

bb98963aa9be50a942f7c0bc7d3699ce.png

It also routes you around the ring road, even if you alter the start point away from the A2 motorway….

02ee92a3810cddf855a84773882a2a42.png

The ‘Combrai Glitch’ as I will call it, seems to be just a product of selecting MyRoute’s very basic (free) map / routing option.

For what it’s worth, this small route - created in Pocket Earth - transferred seamless via Airdrop into my iPhone and then into both my XT (via Garmin Drive) and into BMW’s Connected app.

Back
Top Bottom