Would MyRoute be better than Google to create a GPX file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Would MyRoute be better than using using Google maps to convert to a gpx file?

Very possibly, yes.

Before owning my XT and / or my 850 with its TFT screen, I had no use of MyRoute, as I was quite happy with BaseCamp. Now that I have the XT and will start to use the Drive / Connected app’s I thought I might as well learn how MyDrive works, at least on my iPad. So far, it has worked really well, harmonising with my iPhone, both app’s and my XT really well.

MyRoute’s various maps live in layers, accessed here:

4340a668b4c7f1078b77ee2cd4d0d546.png

e642846bf02e51e3e90c82f7d68544c6.png

Though you need to be a gold member (phnar, phnar) to access them all.

The MyRoute app makes the conversion into GPX and / or into other file types automatically. You simply chose which type of file you need.

6ff23c3c7be0cdbd93a34feb0b598a51.png

1520c5823c6397ba10e66152ba441304.png

As I said, I am very new to app’s, my XT and to MyDrive but with some good help from the UKGSer forum and by just tapping around on my iPad, I have sort of got the hang of it quite quickly. You can’t break it, so play around in it.

Doc I use my route, it’s pretty straight forward on an iPad, prob the same on an iPhone, ut not tried it on that.

Just make a route, using which ever layer you find comfortable with, save the route, name the route, then it gives options to save as a GPX or a Tom Tom file etc. I think the crucial point is saving it to the GPX1.0 NOT the new GPX 1.1 as quite a few have had issues in doing that .... good luck

GPX 1.2 seems to work very well, at least on my XT and within the Drive / Connect app’s. From what I can see so far, it’s completely reliable.

The only thing I don’t like about it is that shaping points (the little blue dots) don’t appear on the map of the route on my XT. It’s no big deal but showing the blue dots lends confidence (at least to me) that the route is correct and matches the route I created in MyRoute. I do though check that the mileage of the route on XT matches that of the route I created in MyRoute, just as I do when creating a route in BaseCamp. A minute or two checking at home, might well save an hour or more of frustration when away from home.

There is a work around within MyRoute, by altering the shaping points into via points, which will display on my XT. But this is a double edged sword, as Garmin devices treat and act on via points differently to the way the devices treat and act on simple shaping points.

Thanks lads. Think MyRoute will suit my needs. If i can plan a route with it off my Samsung tablet and put it on my connected app that will do for me.

Excellent.

Give it a go. If you get stuck, start a fresh thread with the problem. I am sure someone will help you to sort it out.

Excellent.

Give it a go. If you get stuck, start a fresh thread with the problem. I am sure someone will help you to sort it out.

Will do and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom