My Route App - will it meet my needs

Richard are you using the app or the website?

The website, on my iPad. I prefer the website, as it allows portrait and landscape modes. Similarly, the iPad allows me to split the screen, where having two separate windows open at the same time is helpful.

b65a2b6ae48fcd9376557d62dd8d23dd.png

In this example I have a hand written route (sent to me by a friend) open at the same time as MyRoute. I could then create the route in MyRoute, without having to flip back and forth between the two.

I asked because I prefer the website, but thinking you are doing something I hadn’t with the street view maybe the app had improved. Kindly explain how you find the street view ?

Thanks

Im somehow not seeing street view.

Attachments

• D0878FDB-1F4E-469A-9B8C-B547B72EB3EC.jpg
    D0878FDB-1F4E-469A-9B8C-B547B72EB3EC.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 212
Im somehow not seeing street view.

That’s because you are using the satellite view layer, overlaid over the HERE base map you are using.

b18c63f8b80d93408c75d9685ddfa234.png

I asked because I prefer the website, but thinking you are doing something I hadn’t with the street view maybe the app had improved. Kindly explain how you find the street view ?

Thanks

Here’s how:

In essence, it’s just like using Google’s Street view.

A. Zoom in the map / route to the place you want to view.

cecf5fe1ab82901f4f927121330e99ca.png

B. Tap on the little button. The roads where a street view is available turn blue.

c29486bbe1c6a6609798e21971f07918.png

C. Align the view by dragging the photograph around and / or ‘drive’ down the road.

7d756a133c12ba063cf6c6b2d98c09e8.png

I am now getting the hang of the ability to create folders and sub-folders, within MyRoute. It’s handy as I can now put all my Le Mans stuff in one folder, with a sub-folder for each year and all my Spa stuff in another folder, with a sub-folder for each year. That it’s cloud based, it means that I can access them all on any device capable of accessing the internet. Other bods will no doubt create their folders differently or not have folders at all. That doesn’t matter one jot, just use any method that works for you.

Similarly, I am slowly but surely getting the hang of creating bespoke routes. The easiest way, for me at least, on an iPad is to:

1. Ask MyRoute for an A to B route, start point to end point. As with BaseCamp, I don’t have any of the routing preferences turned on.

2. I then shape the route by inserting shaping points (MyRoute calls them, waypoints) to force the black route line along certain roads. The downside of this method is that MyRoute lists the waypoints (and as such creates the route) in the order that the waypoints are created. In my simple example of A to B, then shaped with a waypoint C between the two, the route offered up would become:

Original route: A (start point) to (end point) B

Shaped route: Original A to B but now ending at C, the waypoint between A and B

This is easy enough to resolve as you can drag the waypoints in their list, altering their positions. Recalculation is really fast.

I haven’t yet found a way on my iPad to:

1. Ask MyRoute to reorder the waypoints into a logical sequence

2. Drag the black line by hand, as you can in say Google maps or BaseCamp

I am now getting the hang of the ability to create folders and sub-folders, within MyRoute. It’s handy as I can now put all my Le Mans stuff in one folder, with a sub-folder for each year and all my Spa stuff in another folder, with a sub-folder for each year. That it’s cloud based, it means that I can access them all on any device capable of accessing the internet. Other bods will no doubt create their folders differently or not have folders at all. That doesn’t matter one jot, just use any method that works for you.

Similarly, I am slowly but surely getting the hang of creating bespoke routes. The easiest way, for me at least, on an iPad is to:

1. Ask MyRoute for an A to B route, start point to end point. As with BaseCamp, I don’t have any of the routing preferences turned on.

2. I then shape the route by inserting shaping points (MyRoute calls them, waypoints) to force the black route line along certain roads. The downside of this method is that MyRoute lists the waypoints (and as such creates the route) in the order that the waypoints are created. In my simple example of A to B, then shaped with a waypoint C between the two, the route offered up would become:

Original route: A (start point) to (end point) B

Shaped route: Original A to B but now ending at C, the waypoint between A and B

This is easy enough to resolve as you can drag the waypoints in their list, altering their positions. Recalculation is really fast.

I haven’t yet found a way on my iPad to:

1. Ask MyRoute to reorder the waypoints into a logical sequence

2. Drag the black line by hand, as you can in say Google maps or BaseCamp['/QUOTE]

I believe you just hold the Pencil or finger tip on the route until a little circle appears. Then, without taking the Pencil off the screen, you just drag the little circle to the point you want as a new waypoint to shape the route

Thanks, Paul.

I had a go using the finger on the black line method. I’ll have another bash.

Thanks, Paul.

I had a go using the finger on the black line method. I’ll have another bash.

I had a go using my iPhone to move the black line by finger.

Holding my finger on the black line resulted in a slight pulse from the phone and the equivalent of a magnifying glass popping up.

ad1f3c482d8ce998e27b1f503ff0ea02.png

It failed to move the black line.

Where BaseCamp does score, at least on my Mac, is that all my routes and favourites are displayed on the screen at once. This means I can switch between routes very easily.

This is one feature that I would very much like MRA to have. I am currently planning a week's tour in Germany and would like to be able to see all the routes for the week at the same time.

The best workaround I have found is to have multiple browser tabs open with each one showing one route - then I can tab between them quickly and easily. I'd still like to be able to see multiple routes in a single tab though.

By tapping around, I have found a way to do it, at least on an iPad. It lives here:

4e81dc4cd0a6ba05e89ffaf884cbb7d4.png

7af9331c3599688a6f1e5dd28e5884f0.png

bf2044970c188bd59085123458dca5d8.png

One route added in:

7f4c6886b5589559efe138a3c99fe3e5.png

Two routes added in:

98c034024cda2eb053d8d8211cbd2cd9.png

Several more added in:

5722830e46f7951dd4bd2065c712cce3.png

Now to find out how to:

A. Change colours

B. How to splice routes together

Tap around. It’s free and you can’t break it. All I do is create a temporary test route and muck around with it.

Nice one Wapping. It also works great for me on my Mac. The only issue is all of the additional routes display in yellow - as you say, it would be nice to be able to have each one display in a different colour.

I have submitted a support ticket to see if there is any way to do so, or if it could be considered for a future version. I also asked if there could be a way to click on any route and then edit that one directly. Probably not - but again, maybe possible for the future.

Excellent, I'd just discovered I could do that with my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil thingummy and was going to reply but Richard beat me, and to be fair, his answer is fdfar more comprehensive :)

This is shaping up quite well as a planning tool, I am impressed so far.

I feel a big iPad purchase coming on. Our stalwart MacBook Air which has served as a mobile basecamp device is pretty much dead.

The only shortcoming I see with MyRoute is it needs an interweb connection, whereas basecamp doesnt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom