My Route App - will it meet my needs

MyRoute’s ability to show Google street view, has just proved itself invaluable.

I had a half remembered way to get to the small village of Wanne in Belgium, not far from Trois Ponts. By looking up the village and then looking at Google’s street view, I was able to remember the way there.

1e77bb19adfe50dd6cbce60ae295db4b.png

d7eb539d846d8e07f9787fc594a5d97b.png

e480367a608d840351183fa38020b89d.png

Similarly, the ability to overlay one route on top of another, came in very handy when I was considering which of two possible routes to Trois Ponts to take.

They both overlie each other between the Pas de Calais and Chimay / Couvin, after which they spilt. Both are similar in length, but different in shape.

e4344ea9f9b267ea840a8ccd0bc27407.jpg

MyRoute’s ability to show Google street view, has just proved itself invaluable.

had a half remembered way to get to the small village of Wanne in Belgium, not far from Trois Ponts. By looking up the village and then looking at Google’s street view, I was able to remember the way there. …..

You may remember that early iterations of Mapsource did the same … quite which political machinations removed that excellent feature I do not recall

The ultimate navigation app will, to my mind, allow stored Google Streetview screenshots to be displayed on demand on my SatNav screen …

So I got a response back from MyRoute about the multiple routes overlay. They say that the ability to have different overlays in different colours is "in the queue" and has previously been requested.

My other request to be able to click on any of multiple routes displayed in a single browser tab and then edit that one directly was not already requested, but has now been added to the queue.

Well done, let’s see what happens next.

I am now working on getting my head around some of the ‘Tools’ available.

e8f25b766ad1127d21eac0e3a83cb645.png

Some things I have found useful are:

1. Creating a ‘Test’ folder so that I can muck around with routes, trying things out, whilst not destroying decent routes that I’ve created already.

2. Locking routes, so that they cannot be altered by mistake. Unlocking and then relocking again is easy.

3. As with BaseCamp, the ability to add:

a. A date and time to a departure point. In BaseCamp, this transfers into the Garmin device, so that the routes appear in Trips in a chronological order, rather like a diary. I don’t yet know if a MyRoute route (with time and dates attributes) transfers the same attributes across.

b. A timed ‘pause’ to each waypoint. For example, putting in 45 minutes at a coffee stop or 90 minutes for lunch. Putting in the pauses, automatically adjusts the estimated finishing time.

4. Changing the colour of the waypoint teardrops. It’s all down to personal preference of course. I quite like having the start point green, any pause points yellow and the end point red.

eeab6c741da3ed5112d0119c0e25c191.png

What I haven’t yet discovered is how my Garmin devices will treat the shaping, via and waypoints when I transfer a route across.

What I haven’t yet discovered is how my Garmin devices will treat the shaping, via and waypoints when I transfer a route across.

This might be helpful. If you export routes as gpx 1.2, it makes a distinction between via and shaping points:

Untitled-L.jpg

One other thing I have found helpful when modifying routes is to turn on the "Place Waypoint Button" option. This way, it doesn't automatically add waypoints every time you click anywhere on the map - which can be annoying if you do it by mistake....

Also - for anyone who hasn't figured it out yet, if you are looking for fuel, lodging, restaurants etc, along a route you can just zoom to the section you are interested in, click on "POIs" in the left hand side dropdown menu (Mac) above your list of waypoints and then select what you are looking for. These will then pop up on the section of map you are looking at. Click on the one you want and you can add it as a waypoint.

This is pretty helpful if you don't know the area, or are trying to add fuel stops around the "xx" mile mark on a motorway.

This might be helpful. If you export routes as gpx 1.2, it makes a distinction between via and shaping points:
[/IMG]

One other thing I have found helpful when modifying routes is to turn on the "Place Waypoint Button" option. This way, it doesn't automatically add waypoints every time you click anywhere on the map - which can be annoying if you do it by mistake....

Thank you. I haven’t had a chance to muck around sending routes to my devices yet but your tip will be very useful when I do.

The ‘Place waypoint’ button has always been on for me. I only discovered that it could be turned off (and what that resulted in) when I started to muck around in the Tools menu.

The more I play around in MyRoute, the more I like it. The acid test will surely come when I try to run (and actually ride) some of the routes on my Garmin and / or the Drive/Connected app’s.

Also - for anyone who hasn't figured it out yet, if you are looking for fuel, lodging, restaurants etc, along a route you can just zoom to the section you are interested in, click on "POIs" in the left hand side dropdown menu (Mac) above your list of waypoints and then select what you are looking for. These will then pop up on the section of map you are looking at. Click on the one you want and you can add it as a waypoint.

This is pretty helpful if you don't know the area, or are trying to add fuel stops around the "xx" mile mark on a motorway.

Than you, again.

I have found this a bit hit and miss, when it comes to hotels.

We could probably do with a sub-section just for MRA App and Navigation, with Stickies for user hints etc

Anyone tried adding Speed Camera databases, such as SCDB, to MRA and Navigation?

We could probably do with a sub-section just for MRA App and Navigation, with Stickies for user hints etc

I have been toying with that idea, especially as there is now some investigation into how it works. What surprised me, given that it’s been around and popular for some time, how little there was about it on the forum. I simply lumped it into the Kurviger and other software sub-section, mostly to shift it out of the Garmin section(s) not least as most of the problems bods encountered with the alternative softwares did not have Garmin as their cause. We can see something similar happening in this thread: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/573793-Kurviger-to-Basecamp-problem

One other thing...I was going to add to your MRA into BaseCamp/XT thread, but it is closed so I will put it here.

If you want to add extra waypoints to an MRA route, just select "Expand" from the "Toolkit" menu. It will then ask you how many waypoints you want and auto insert them around the route at roughly equally spaced intervals.

I don't really know what use this is, but it will do it. It will also "reduce", which is the exact opposite as would be expected.

One other thing...I was going to add to your MRA into BaseCamp/XT thread, but it is closed so I will put it here.

If you want to add extra waypoints to an MRA route, just select "Expand" from the "Toolkit" menu. It will then ask you how many waypoints you want and auto insert them around the route at roughly equally spaced intervals.

I don't really know what use this is, but it will do it. It will also "reduce", which is the exact opposite as would be expected.

Aha, that is what it does. Thank you. That’s really useful to know. I’ll insert it into a a parallel thread on this very topic.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/573837-MyRoute-routes-into-BaseCamp-on-a-Mac

I had a go using my iPhone to move the black line by finger.

Holding my finger on the black line resulted in a slight pulse from the phone and the equivalent of a magnifying glass popping up.

ad1f3c482d8ce998e27b1f503ff0ea02.png

It failed to move the black line.

To clarify the comments re ‘dragging’ the route to the shape you want:

On an iPad, using either finger or Apple Pencil, MRA works as above. ie it just magnifies a small section

However, on my McBook, if you hover your mouse cursor over the black line of the route, you can drag the route to the road you want to follow and the waypoint MRA creates is inserted at the correct place in the List of Waypoints and not just added to the bottom of the list

Shame that it does not work in the same way on an iPad

Back
Top Bottom