Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Route App - will it meet my needs

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

My Route App - will it meet my needs

To date, I have been successfully using Basecamp on my Apple MacBook Pro to create routes and to then transfer them to my Garmin satnavs. My two issues are that:
    A) Basecamp does not run on an iPad, which forces me to take the laptop with me on extended jauntshave been reading the posts
    B) the maps in BC are, to my mind, very poor and even inferior to the maps displayed on my Garmin sat ab devices.

So I have been reading the various posts on My Routes App with interest.
    A) it runs on an iPad, which addresses my first BC issue
    B) the maps displayed in the app seem to be far superior to those in BC
    C) But the MRA subscription does seem somewhat pricey. Is there a ‘Lifetime’ option? Or a discount code?
    D) I need to see what planning a route with MRA on an iPad Air is like. Is the screen big enough?
    E) anyone had any experience of using the Nav app on their iPhone? Is it data hungry?
    F) can MRA transfer a route into a BMW car’s satnav? The MRA webpage seems to suggest it can

Many thanks for any comments or suggestions

Answers below, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by paul08 View Post

A) it runs on an iPad, which addresses my first BC issue - It runs well on an iPad

B) the maps displayed in the app seem to be far superior to those in BC - Lots of choice of different mapping

C) But the MRA subscription does seem somewhat pricey. Is there a ‘Lifetime’ option? Or a discount code? - I signed up years ago for a lifetime ‘Gold’ membership but, before now, had no excuse or reason to use it.

D) I need to see what planning a route with MRA on an iPad Air is like. Is the screen big enough? - I taught myself in under 30 minutes. It’s large enough, for me at least. Just mucking about, I created a pretty intricate long jaunt of about 300 miles, all within the Ardennes, without too many problems

E) anyone had any experience of using the Nav app on their iPhone? Is it data hungry? - I think it’s still in its development stage. You can download the maps, for offline use. I still haven’t got my head around all this “Does it use data” malarkey.

F) can MRA transfer a route into a BMW car’s satnav? The MRA webpage seems to suggest it can - If the car’s sat nav accepts GPX or other similar files, I can’t see why not.
    I am a big BaseCamp / Garmin sat nav fan but I now think I can get on with the MyRoute stuff and other app’s OK.

I was to lazy to learn Basecamp, I have been using MRA for years and have found it very good. Also a Gold member, bought it ages ago.

So, is the Lifetime Gold membership still available? I could see no mention of it on the MRA webpage

EDIT: just found Wapping’s post with the link

So, is the Lifetime Gold membership still available? I could see no mention of it on the MRA webpage

EDIT: just found Wapping’s post with the link
    Gold was offered a couple of years ago before they became really popular, think there are new subscription tiers now, can't remember how much I paid, but don't think it was as much as lifetime is now.

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    E) The nav app definitely runs offline. I used it on Tuesday and my phone was in Airplane Mode. I don't think any of the nav apps use much data if they are working online anyway.
    Ready To >> Rest

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Gold was offered a couple of years ago before they became really popular, think there are new subscription tiers now, can't remember how much I paid, but don't think it was as much as lifetime is now.
    Yep did the same. Moved to MyRoute when Motogoloco went tits up. Think I paid 30 euros for gold. The price difference at the time allowed you to use the different layers of maps. The HERE layer I find superb. You could use the basic map for free, but not sure what it was like

MRA Gold Lifetime is now offered at 149 Euro. Which is a bit pricey

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    …..You could use the basic map for free, but not sure what it was like
    The basic map has some deficiencies, as we are discovering in another thread:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...26#post6203526

MRA Gold Lifetime is now offered at 149 Euro. Which is a bit pricey

Hi Paul,

I was lucky enough to get the lifetime Gold version years ago, when MyRoute was first launched. It was so cheap, I bought it just to see what all the excitement was about and then just left it dormant.

It is pricey but, as someone who has just started using it, it is now very good. That being said, I have only taken up using it because I have bought a Garmin XT and a bike with a TFT screen, where using my phone as a GPS device makes sense. Had I not bought the XT or the bike, I’d still be using BaseCamp quite happily. It is the ability to use my iPad along with the XT / phone and various app’s that is MyRoute’s big selling point, I think.

Well, I have just invested £129 for MRA Lifetime Gold membership.. Now to start playing with it

Other than the six short YouTube tutorials that pop up after joining, are there any worthwhile videos/ tutorials that can be recommended?

As with most things, Paul, it is what you want to use it for and how many (or few) of the help pages / videos you want to read and watch. I’d start off, as I did, with basic route creation A to B and then A to G, via all the letters in between. Then see how to get it from your phone / home computer into your GPS device, unless you intend to leave it just on your phone. Then see how to change the shaping points into via points, how to give them stand alone qualities but only if that appeals to you. Then move on…..

If you find something good and helpful, sing up. If you find a problem, do the same.

I am slowly but surely getting the hang of MyRoute, including how to set up folders and then folders within folders.

It is now much better than when it first launched and indeed, I can see where it scores over BaseCamp, not least as it will display routable Michelin maps, which I quite like. Also the easy way to have a satellite view in order to pinpoint a location is useful. I do though find it easier to edit a route that I have created in MyRoute, if I then paste it into BaseCamp. This is maybe because I am more used to the style of the BaseCamp map, which I quite like.

That MyRoute will also link seamlessly with my iPhone, iPad and MacBook is also a definite advantage.

Where BaseCamp does score, at least on my Mac, is that all my routes and favourites are displayed on the screen at once. This means I can switch between routes very easily.

I have to say my opinion/experience echoes yours Richard! I do find the search feature of MyRouteApp a bit hit and miss when it comes to searching for say a hotel name, but i like the fact that if I can find the property on Google Maps, I can copy the exact GPS coordinates and paste it into MyRoute and then save it as a POI.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Where BaseCamp does score, at least on my Mac, is that all my routes and favourites are displayed on the screen at once. This means I can switch between routes very easily.
    This is one feature that I would very much like MRA to have. I am currently planning a week's tour in Germany and would like to be able to see all the routes for the week at the same time.

The best workaround I have found is to have multiple browser tabs open with each one showing one route - then I can tab between them quickly and easily. I'd still like to be able to see multiple routes in a single tab though.

Vive le Singe Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm still tinkering around trying to find the "best" PC App to produce routes on and transfer to the XT. I always created in Kurviger, tidied up in Basecamp and transferred.

I've been reading Wappings experiences with MyRouteApp so will check that out as it seems quite comprehensive.
    Last edited by Wapping; 18-01-22 at 10:54. Reason: Mild edit for a copied across post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast