Rough Running - Datalogging ??

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2008 GSA is back on the road, my gearbox overhaul has made things smoother and quieter, but on a test ride yesterday it still doesn’t feel quite ‘right’. Part throttle was quite rough and stuttery especially once hot in city traffic.

I have a GS911 and a windows netbook, I was considering data logging but to be honest I’m not 100% sure on which channels to log or what to look for.

I’m going to do a valve clearance check, rebalance throttle bodies and reset TPS and idle steppers before going any further plus a shot of Techron in the fuel system to clean out any goo and water/ethanol E10 issues. Spark plugs and stick coils are all fairly new.

Can anybody advise where to start datalogging?

Will do Neil, although the battery has been removed for months so I’m surprised they haven’t reset all by themselves.

On the GS911, set datalogging to all and make sure the BT connection to your phone is working, and data is being seen in the app

if it is your good to go.

Then at the end of the log session, you need to export the data file to CSV.

That way you can look at any value that youve chosen to log ( easier to have it all than to miss one data feed)

I now need to work out which app i had for diplaying the data

( you can do it in xcel but you need to set it up first)

Connect the netbook to the GS911 - "Real time data" - "select all" - with a warm engine, ignition on - Start log. after the ride stop the log and save it before switching the ignition off.
If You would like someone to look at the .csv file for you, pm me your email address and I will send you mine so you can attach and send me the .csv file.
would be handy to know the approx. RPM you are experiencing problems.
The .csv file can be viewed in Excel or Logworks.
I prefer to connect to a laptop or tablet with a USB cable , it seems a lot more stable and stops it dropping out as it seems to with blue tooth.

Found it

LiveGraph (http://live-graph.sourceforge.net/)

that will allow you to display all your data in realtime

It's a nifty bit of kit

i did it with my Hexhead when i had the starter problem If you pick a route you know , you can step through it by looking at your gear changing and braking points :D

Thanks to all that’s very helpful.

Mistacat I was hoping you would reply, you seem to be a man in the know and I don’t really know how to interpret that data, I may need a little help later once I gather some data. Can I drop you a PM?

Happy New Year.

Hi. PM me your email address and I will send you mine so that you can attach the .csv file to it.

Check the kill switch I say this because my 09 gsa had same intermittent rough running in fact spoilt a trip around picos when it would stutter around 4000rpm 65mph under load , classic coil failing I thought . I did all the checks reset adaptions balanced throttle bodies tappets etc and it improved it but still not right . Anyway whilst out stuck in traffic I killed engine with kill switch never used it in all the 9 years I’d had bike , then when I started it instantly the bike felt better and has been totally fine ever since so now and again I just work the switch a few times maybe it was not making a full circuit.

Thanks, I am willing to give it a go if it might fix things, I don't care how it gets sorted so long as it works no matter how ridiculous it may sound...... If you told me to do a handstand and press the engine starter button using my big toe as a fix I'd give it a go.

I expect the kill switch to be like a simple make or break logic gate in operation that either worked or didn't but hey, anything so simple to try is worth a go, I'm all out of ideas.

Check the kill switch I say this because my 09 gsa had same intermittent rough running in fact spoilt a trip around picos when it would stutter around 4000rpm 65mph under load , classic coil failing I thought . I did all the checks reset adaptions balanced throttle bodies tappets etc and it improved it but still not right . Anyway whilst out stuck in traffic I killed engine with kill switch never used it in all the 9 years I’d had bike , then when I started it instantly the bike felt better and has been totally fine ever since so now and again I just work the switch a few times maybe it was not making a full circuit.

Not come across that one before but at least that will show up on the .csv file when it arrives.

I couldn’t get that live graph program to work but I did manage to set excel to use commas as column separators which then allowed me to put the data on screen in a readable form….I can’t see anything that jumps out of the screen and reveals a fault but I have very little knowledge or experience of how the BMS-K does it’s thing. Looking at the additive trims shows one cylinder very different to another but I’m not sure if that has been tweaked by hilltop or if it is a dynamic feature of the ecu.

I did have to clear a couple of fault codes in the ecu from the previous rough stuttering test ride including an idle stepper fault on one cylinder, which may explain why the bike went rough in city traffic when hot.

I have had a quick look at your .csv file and as you say nothing jumps out.
I am surprised at how lean the bike is running especially as it has been remapped it looks a tad lean for a stock bike especially on Cyl 1.
The short term fuel trims are heading in opposite directions I put this down to the adaptions being cleared, it will take a couple of tanks of fuel to settle.
I have just replaced my PC and am unable to get LiveGraph to work on this new version of windows 10. the previous PC was on an upgrade from windows 7.
I have had a look at your .csv on an old 10" notebook running LiveGraph on XP and the Lambda on cyl 1 is reporting lean. I appreciate that these narrow band sensors are little better than switches compared to wide band sensors.
I would be tempted to run a couple of tanks of fuel then log a file, then swap the lambda sensors over and log another file.
Not sure what is happening with LiveGraph their home page comes up but none of the links to Help or contact seem to work. Anybody else had problems with the new version of Windows 10 & LiveGraph.

Thanks Mistacat I appreciate your help. Although you say it’s lean according to the data, oddly it smells a bit of excess fuel when running, the main plugs look a typical light brown but the piston crowns are visibly quite black with deposits and the oil stank of petrol and was thin and runny when drained two days ago.

Is Cyl 1 the left or the right one ??

I will do as you say and run a few tanks of fuel through it then do another data log ride and take another look, once again I may need some guidance in interpreting the data…….Every days a school day and I like to learn new stuff.

I have had a quick look at your .csv file and as you say nothing jumps out.
I am surprised at how lean the bike is running especially as it has been remapped it looks a tad lean for a stock bike especially on Cyl 1.
The short term fuel trims are heading in opposite directions I put this down to the adaptions being cleared, it will take a couple of tanks of fuel to settle.
I have just replaced my PC and am unable to get LiveGraph to work on this new version of windows 10. the previous PC was on an upgrade from windows 7.
I have had a look at your .csv on an old 10" notebook running LiveGraph on XP and the Lambda on cyl 1 is reporting lean. I appreciate that these narrow band sensors are little better than switches compared to wide band sensors.
I would be tempted to run a couple of tanks of fuel then log a file, then swap the lambda sensors over and log another file.
Not sure what is happening with LiveGraph their home page comes up but none of the links to Help or contact seem to work. Anybody else had problems with the new version of Windows 10 & LiveGraph.

When i get 5 i'll have a looksee

I'm seeing a chap on a USA forum can't get his K1300 to run correctly for ages (same ECU as the GS) been throwing a few ideas, as has everyone else, and he's getting nowhere in over a year. He had the bike get a reflash this Christmas at a main dealer to the later map they all needed since forever. They also wiped the adaptions, and he said it started off great and then went to utter rubbish a few hundred miles later...

This is the exact same issue with my late 2007 GS. Going by the info shared on this forum about its starts rich then leans off to fall in line with emissions over a few hundred miles makes perfect sense - but now we see a third bike that then seems to keep heading of to stutter and cough mode - as if the adaptions keep leaning things out far too much.

It makes me think either a time related bug in the map software has come up - the way the world is I'm thinking this quite likely - Mercedes are having issues with the EU as people have found its what they've been doing !!! or maybe just an ageing bit in the BMSK+ ecu is "failing" and its not doing everything correctly anymore.

Making that latter idea a possibility, I was looking at youtube stuff this time last year re water damage / strange diagnostic bugs / and misfire issues on BMW vehicles. There are quite a few eastern European bods attacking BMW circuit boards with interesting results...

Back
Top Bottom