Securing the XT in its mount

stonehenge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The mount and clip for the XT looks to me to be a little fragile. Is it secure or should I look for some kind of locking mechanism?

I'd say everyone thinks the same, but it is surprisingly secure.

Various options to add and lock it in (more for theft rather than 'action'), but I've added one of these just in case. There's no tether point, but adheres to the back just fine. I tether everything, preferring not to trust any mount.

The mount and clip for the XT looks to me to be a little fragile.

I took the XT offroad multiple times on the GS and a couple of times on the DRZ and had no issues.
On the hardest hits (stones, etc) the RAM mount moved, but the XT did stay secured on its mount.
Tether is a good suggestion.

We've got the Touratech locking mounts on ours on the 690/701 but thats more for being able to leave the bikes, etc.
On the SX's they are on the standard mount and just gets popped off into a pocket.

I'd say everyone thinks the same, but it is surprisingly secure.

Various options to add and lock it in (more for theft rather than 'action'), but I've added one of these just in case. There's no tether point, but adheres to the back just fine. I tether everything, preferring not to trust any mount.

Ant links to those tethers

I’m sure that if Garmin and other makes of GPS devices were prone to fly out of their cradles regularly or be stolen by scrotes frequently, we’d have read pages about it in MCN or here on UKGSer. After all, there was pages devoted to scrotes stealing TFT screens and others - often mounted on scooters - stealing entire motorcycles, to ship them off to the Baltic States or Romania. That we don’t, leaves one with the only reasonable conclusion that they don’t fly out and don’t get stolen.

I’m sure that if Garmin and other makes of GPS devices were prone to fly out of their cradles regularly or be stolen by scrotes frequently, we’d have read pages about it in MCN or here on UKGSer. After all, there was pages devoted to scrotes stealing TFT screens and others - often mounted on scooters - stealing entire motorcycles, to ship them off to the Baltic States or Romania. That we don’t, leaves one with the only reasonable conclusion that they don’t fly out and don’t get stolen.

Conversely, if they didn't, the manufacturers and retailers of aftermarket lockable mounts would likely not produce such a thing...

Conversely, if they didn't, the manufacturers and retailers of aftermarket lockable mounts would likely not produce such a thing...

They produce all sorts of ‘must have’ kit, that bods bolt on. All it does is feed bods’ paranoia and, in some cases, vanity. A good example would be the security oil filler cap, to protect all of those thousands of bikes from having sand (or was it sugar or piss) poured into their engine. Look through any Touratech catalogue, there are pages upon pages of the stuff.

Sometimes I wish I was so knowledgeable I need not look to others for help and advice, however, I'm pleased that on UKGSer, those who dish out the help and advice are always 100% correct and no other options exist.

Lucky me.

They produce all sorts of ‘must have’ kit, that bods bolt on. All it does is feed bods’ paranoia and, in some cases, vanity. A good example would be the security oil filler cap, to protect all of those thousands of bikes from having sand (or was it sugar or piss) poured into their engine. Look through any Touratech catalogue, there are pages upon pages of the stuff.

Anint that the truth, so many solutions to problems that don't really exist, however on the sat nav front I do feel most don't get stolen because most don't get left on the bike and the TT lockable one is ok for popping in for a coffee etc but again most people don't leave them on the bike.

Thieves will try if they get the chance, we parked up and took stuff out of metal panniers (obviously not QD ones) and left them open as the bikes parked on the street, stupid thieves still smashed the feck out of the catch despite being left open and the the pannier empty!!

Always best to remember that security devices only make it harder / slows the bad person down when they're trying to relieve you of you possessions.

I went for the zumo lock as it'll slow down a nasty person, and also makes it less likely for me to catch the securing tab an inadvertently detach the XT. Nobody probably has done the inadvertent release, but it helps me sleep at night :comfort and helps justify its cost.

I bought a used Zumo 660 that came with a TT locking mount and I got used to being able to walk away from the bike and not worry about it, when I bought the XT I bought the TT mount as I knew I'd leave it on for someone to have away.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Wapping is spot on here. During the posts about the theft of TFT's I started a poll on my Facebook TFT group. With 10K members now. 4 have declared stolen TFT's. Put that figure next to how many bikes have been stolen. The anti theft devices rely on scaremongering to sell said devices, But in reality, Its an answer to a problem that simply doesn't exist. Although, If it makes an individual feel better about security, then fit it.
I have the XT in its non secure mount. If I leave the bike, i just pop it off. For over 20 years years using Sat Navs on my bikes. This has never been a problem.

To put “It’ll fall out of its mount, mate” into perspective, in all my many years of being on a bike with a GPS unit and/or years when I ran the Wapping Wanders (10’s of 1000’s of man miles) there was only ONE GPS unit that popped out of its mount. It was, I think, a Garmin Quest, which probably dates the incident.

It’s odd that I see bikes, abandon to fate all day on the street in London with no locks at all but with a lockable GPS mount and some bolt on bling to protect the rear brake reservoir. In other words, no thought or care that someone may well pinch the entire bike but paranoid that someone will pinch a GPS unit whilst paying for petrol…. And worried to hell about the rear brake reservoir. The same bods probably leave their helmets dangling on the mirror stems.

To put “It’ll fall out of its mount, mate” into perspective, in all my many years of being on a bike with a GPS unit and/or years when I ran the Wapping Wanders (10’s of 1000’s of man miles) there was only ONE GPS unit that popped out of its mount. It was, I think, a Garmin Quest, which probably dates the incident.

It’s odd that I see bikes, abandon to fate all day on the street in London with no locks at all but with a lockable GPS mount and some bolt on bling to protect the rear brake reservoir. In other words, no thought or care that someone may well pinch the entire bike but paranoid that someone will pinch a GPS unit whilst paying for petrol…. And worried to hell about the rear brake reservoir. The same bods probably leave their helmets dangling on the mirror stems.

.........and yet one thread where 3 bods admitted to their sat navs falling out of their holders :D

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...f-operator-error?highlight=dropped+my+sat+nav

Back in 2017 so maybe things have improved since then ;)

ahem... cough cough...

well...

Zumo 660...

:D

But again, have to admit, my XT never fell after getting quite a few bumpy miles offroad on the GS on its bog standard mount.

Back
Top Bottom