Securing the XT in its mount

Actually yes. On the 660 it was fairly easy to have it not properly lock on the mount.
After that I learnt to check the plastic tab on the top before riding off.

No one sane of mind would steal a 660 :D

But, semi-serious: no. As written above, the XT took some decent beatings and didn't move.
A small tether as suggested above, if going offroad regularly, might not be a bad idea (my Gpsmap 60 is tethered to the bike usually) but I'm lazy and never did it.

I take the sat nav off when I leave the bike, even for petrol. Takes a second.

Would generally agree with you on this.
Also, those Touratech "secure" mounts remind me of this:
1024px-Ilizarov_Apparatus_External_Fixator.JPG

not a big fan :D

I changed up from a 660 to the xt recently and specifically did not get the TT type mount despite when I got the 660 it came with one, and that is because I only had that mount on one bike and would just leave it there regardles where as on the OEM mount it is easy to just clip off and I take it away from the bike every time

I’ve not had the The XT long but the mount worries me as the Nav doesn’t obviously “click” in like my 350/390 did. Every time I put it on the cradle I pull and tug at it a few times to make sure it’s in there securely. It always seems very secure.

My 390 overtook me once on a dual carriageway:D

I was in a rush coming out of a service station somewhere , hadn’t put it in the cradle properly , pulled out onto the dual carriageway swiftly up to 70ish when it suddenly fell out , bounced on the tank , hit my left knee , the LH cylinder and then the road. Bugger:blast

There was nothing behind me so I slammed on the brakes and the Nav actually overtook me on the inside as it slid down the road on its face :p I came off the brakes and matched its speed as it slowed down until it stopped and so did I right next to it. I bent down , picked it up and thanks to its recessed screen it was fine other than some slight grazing on the outer case. I very much doubt the XT with its flush TFT would fare so well.

I have the XT in its non secure mount. If I leave the bike, i just pop it off.

Exactly that. It takes all of three seconds to pop it off and stick it in your pocket/helmet - and it's really not very big. A tether is not a bad idea at all, but then it might take a whole ten seconds to put it in your pocket as you leave the bike.

I have a tether on my heated gear controller which is mounted on a QuadLock plate, but I never bother taking it off the bike in cold weather. Maybe scrotes just don't focus on it because it looks analogue and doesn't have a screen.

Tethers are not to stop thieving scrotes (for me anyway), but just a layer of protection in case the Zumo works loose for any reason mid ride. No, there's no reason it would, but it's a low cost 'back up'. I leave the nav on the bike most of the time, removing only when finishing riding for the day, when I am unloading luggage etc anyway. Takes me a few seconds to untether the nav and go pro, so no inconvenience at all.

I’ve not had the The XT long but the mount worries me as the Nav doesn’t obviously “click” in like my 350/390 did. Every time I put it on the cradle I pull and tug at it a few times to make sure it’s in there securely. It always seems very secure.

My 390 overtook me once on a dual carriageway:D

I was in a rush coming out of a service station somewhere , hadn’t put it in the cradle properly , pulled out onto the dual carriageway swiftly up to 70ish when it suddenly fell out , bounced on the tank , hit my left knee , the LH cylinder and then the road. Bugger:blast

There was nothing behind me so I slammed on the brakes and the Nav actually overtook me on the inside as it slid down the road on its face :p I came off the brakes and matched its speed as it slowed down until it stopped and so did I right next to it. I bent down , picked it up and thanks to its recessed screen it was fine other than some slight grazing on the outer case. I very much doubt the XT with its flush TFT would fare so well.

I know what you mean. When I click it in, I naturally lift the release button up and behind, to confirm its locked in. 9 times out of then, there is an additional click as it locks fully, Its now a habit for me.

Bugger the XT, I have just dropped my iPhone 11 Max or whatever it’s called, taking it out of the Garmin Connected cradle, smashing the screen in the process. It’s the first mobile phone I have ever broken.

Anyone who uses a phone as a GPS device with nothing to back it up with, needs testing for brains. Had I been in the Alps and not in London E1 I’d now be fecked.

Bugger the XT, I have just dropped my iPhone 11 Max or whatever it’s called, taking it out of the Garmin Connected cradle, smashing the screen in the process. It’s the first mobile phone I have ever broken.

Anyone who uses a phone as a GPS device with nothing to back it up with, needs testing for brains. Had I been in the Alps and not in London E1 I’d now be fecked.

Expensive lesson to learn. That is one of the reasons Id never use my phone as the Nav. Oh well. New screen it is !

If it was the XT, it would have bounced with the new bouncy bumper fitted :thumb

Hi guys,

An interesting thread. I'm hovering over the 'Go buy' button for an XT as we speak, having been well and truly P'd off by the Nav 6's ghosting issues etc, which happened yet again last week on my so called 'Refresh' version. (Garmins 4th replacement unit so far)

Anyhow, I was thinking of housing the XT in the BMW Nav cradle using an adapter from:

https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/prodotto/e-navxt/

I haven't seen one of these in person but there are several videos on Youtube that recommend them. As far as I can see the only downside to it is that the XT will stand proud of the BMW Nav cradle and the power cable, from looking at the videos, appears to hang slightly and is visible. (I have a thing about unsightly cables ;-).

The alternative is to remove the BMW Nav cradle and fit the Garmin bracket only in place of the BMW cradle, rewiring the power using a Wunderlich cable adapter and a pair of Posi-taps:

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/b...e-kit-for-navigation-motomedia-21176-400.html

Either way, adapter or garmin bracket only, the bike can easily be restored to factory spec when the time comes to sell, taking the XT with me.

As always thoughts and comments welcomed from the font of knowledge that is the UK GS Forum ;-)

Stay safe and well guys.

Regards,

Tony

I went dont the adapter road. It works. However.....
I took it all off. (BMW nav cradle) and fitted the Garmin Zumo mount. Purchased the BMW cable and plugged it in. Job done. Much cleaner. Looks like a factory fitting.

I mounted my XT on its OEM mount yesterday, the mount itself carried on a short Ram arm extension, in turn connected to the so called ‘Emergency services’ optional support above the TFT screen.

I gave the XT and all the gubbins a good shake by hand. It didn’t move one jot. I am happy it’s not going to make a bid for freedom any time soon.

3ef2d521ffd4fc033fb2731897fe890c.png

Back
Top Bottom