Top boxes

Doctor T

Reaction score
Hi everyone and a happy new year.
Can anyone tell me the size in liters of the BMW top box sold for 2010/2013 RT.s.
The price for the BMW original is a bank-busting price, even used ones seem to sell for over £300. So if i can find the size i will buy a good aftermarket box.

The large OE box was 49 litres, but there was a small option around 30L IIRC.

Personally I use Givi these days, largely the result of the gobsmacking price of OE on a K1600GT but also for the flexibility they offer with multi-bike applications.

For Givi monokey, an RT would need the rack converter E193 & then chose your box .......... https://www.givi.co.uk/my-motorcycle/product/bmw/r-1200-rt-05--13/optionals/e193

Hi everyone and a happy new year.
Can anyone tell me the size in liters of the BMW top box sold for 2010/2013 RT.s.
The price for the BMW original is a bank-busting price, even used ones seem to sell for over £300. So if i can find the size i will buy a good aftermarket box.

Something else to consider. The OE 49l box is heavy, very heavy. I had a large GIVI on my GS and it was much lighter. Just saying...

Something else to consider. The OE 49l box is heavy, very heavy. I had a large GIVI on my GS and it was much lighter. Just saying...

Agreed they are heavy (approx 8-9 kgs iirc) but lovely quality and , in my opinion, far better quality than the alternatives and the later BMW boxes for the LC models. And don’t forget the lock can be reset to work with your bike’s ignition key.

The RT boxes are excellent quality but heavy as said... My Hexhead one cracked the crappy plastic covering for the top box frame when loaded up... I would be looking at Givi etc as well...

Cheers for the help. Just ordered a 49lt Givi box on line

I had the 49L BMW box on my old RT, it was a quality bit of kit and looked the pert but very heavy and very large for the storage. I believe they're double walled whereas the givi are much cheaper and lighter. I have a Givi E52 maxia on my R1200R with the Givi E193 rack and it is brilliant for <£200 all in. Large enough for 2 helmets too. Pros and cons to both.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

They are indeed double skinned on the bottom section. There’s a mechanism in there that moves the attachment claws to hold the box onto the rack.

I use a givi trekker 58 ltr.Much lighter than the BM one and holds much more.Looks a bit odd at first but I like it now.Very functional.

Back
Top Bottom