Choices: Rocket or....

Mongoose

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm seeking the advice of the collective. I'm looking at another big cruiser as they suit my riding style and I love them for touring on.

Ive narrowed down the choice to either:A 2010 Rocket tourer with 18k miles, or a Suzuki VLR1800 with 7miles at a grand cheaper.

The Triumph will probably hold it's value better, but the Suzuki will be much better on fuel and tyres.

Any thoughts?
174089b999122591a8d5b1c97e511987.jpg
6439a9e1e82a7d20f27607befdf355e6.jpg

Sent from my LE2120 using Tapatalk

Suzuki for me. Mate has one and loves it. Not knocking the Triumph though.

I think the R3 suffers from transmission problems due to all the torque it shoves out so worth checking if it's a common problem or not

I think you will find that the Rocket III Tourer is a detuned version of the other Rocket variants and as such is reasonably trouble free. It doesn't have the monster 240 back tyre on it either which means it handles better than the other RIII's

Not sure what your budget is but have a look around and you will find there are a few about on the used bike market. Some come fully loaded with the kind of extras you find on an equivalent model year Road King

I spotted one a few weeks back on the internet with over 100k on the clock. Chappy was still looking for £5995 for it

Big old lazy ass motor. What's not to like ? My tip would be to check over what service history it comes with and look for corrosion around the front of the motor/forks etc as they can chip/flake from road debris

Rocket all day long for me :thumby:

Have you thought about a Kawasaki Vulcan VN 2000.?

Worth a look.

Owners forums have the Triumph at around 28-30 mpg :surrender:surrender

Any idea what your mate gets to the gallon Doc? I drove past your mates place in Kirby Stephen last week, but he was shut sadly.

I had a VN1600 which was excellent, if a little under powered. The Suzuki has almost 50% more power and more torque. Not many VN2000’s out there at the moment as far as I’ve seen. Thanks for the comments so far.

The VN 2000 is brill, really loved mine, long days ( 12 hours +) got a bit sore mind.

Fully dressed with V& H Powershots, looked and sounded great and pulled like a train.

Owners forums have the Triumph at around 28-30 mpg :surrender:surrender

Any idea what your mate gets to the gallon Doc? I drove past your mates place in Kirby Stephen last week, but he was shut sadly.

I had a VN1600 which was excellent, if a little under powered. The Suzuki has almost 50% more power and more torque. Not many VN2000’s out there at the moment as far as I’ve seen. Thanks for the comments so far.

I will ask pal. I had a VN1500 and loved it and reliable.

Cheers Doc. I've asked on the Rocket 3 owners forum and 120 miles to a tankful seems to be average. That's two fill ups on the way to Dover and another once I get there!

Deposit going on the Suzuki tomorrow I think.

Cheers Doc. I've asked on the Rocket 3 owners forum and 120 miles to a tankful seems to be average. That's two fill ups on the way to Dover and another once I get there!

Deposit going on the Suzuki tomorrow I think.

Not heard back from him yet.

Aaaaaand given that the dealer knocked a grand off the asking price as they're closing down at the end of the month, the Big Suzy will soon be mine. Still interested in the figures if your mate comes back to you Doc.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Back
Top Bottom