Handhelds: external power

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve been toying around the idea of updating (before next summer) the Garmin 60csx I use when greenlaning with something more recent that can easily hold multiple maps without having to replace SD cards and that maybe connects to the phone (to input locations when necessary).

Not considering the Montana 700, which Garmin handhelds have external power sockets? None?

I was looking with interest at the 65 some months ago, but can only be powered externally via USB.

Answering to myself, after having a look around, it seems that only the GPSMap 66sr/i has the ability to be powered via its mount.

Al the other handhelds only accept external power via USB that is not a practical/durable solution on a motorbike.

Answering to myself, after having a look around, it seems that only the GPSMap 66sr/i has the ability to be powered via its mount.

Al the other handhelds only accept external power via USB that is not a practical/durable solution on a motorbike.

The old Montana 6xx have powered mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have, and still occasionally use my old 60csx, but mainly use a Cheap *rugged* phone + various apps.

Can't see the point of paying Garmin's ludicrous prices for underpowered hardware.

I have, and still occasionally use my old 60csx

I'm using my 60csx pretty successfully. The only downside to be fair is having to haggle 2 different SD cards for different mapping options + other quirks of older GPS units.
It is more than adequate for now. I was just fantasizing about a potential upgrade down the line (and a bit of boredom-induced shopping fantasy). Surprised (or maybe not) there is no proper external power offered on 99% of their handhelds.

The old Montana 6xx have powered mounts.

I know. I discovered I'm quite happy with button operated units. That's why I was looking at those only.

I don't know if I'm getting this wrong, but the 66sr should be a button-operated version of the Montana, software-wise.
Would be nice to be able to test them, if any shop stocks demo units.

Resurrecting this.

Anyone uses handhelds powered via the USB sockets while riding?
Does it work? Does it break over time?

Just to provide myself with an answer (might be useful to others):

I bought a 64s on eBay + RAM mounts and garmin cable as per link above, to replace my 60csx.

Even using a standard USB cable the 64s will not go into USB mode provided that only power goes across the cable. Example: normal USB cable to connect the sat nav to a powerbank, and it will normally power it, or charge the batteries inside (you can use any Nimh rechargeable batteries provided that you push the black button in the battery compartment in order for them to be recharged by the unit).

I think only time will tell about how resistant is the USB socket for powering the unit while on the bike :D

Many moons ago I started to use an ETREX Legend as a sat nav it ran on 2 x LR6 batteries and sat in a RAM ball mount cradle on the screen mount arm of my R850R this worked for me for several years. I managed to get almost all (but not quite) of the UK Topo maps onto the SD card. Batteries lasted 18 hours, USB connection worked well, when wet I revered to battery power. Not too successful as a sat nav as it kept having to play catch up in areas with tall buildings and the screen size was too small, and there was no Bluetooth link and the maps quickly became out of date so reverted to proper LM Garmin Sat Nav.

Do keep thinking of going back to this option with something more modern though, interested how you get on with this option.

I've used it only a couple of times on the DRZ so far. And a couple more on foot, hiking.
Decent improvement over the 60csx as I don't have to faff with sd cards for maps, it is faster in redrawing and has profiles (yes!).

64dr.png

Satellite reception is excellent, compared to, say, my Zumo XT. This will get a fix from indoors.
Since the DR (with knobblies) progresses relatively slowly on asphalt too, I haven't had "catch-up" issues yet.

For road navigation I use the OSM maps from OpenChest.

Bluetooth connection comes useful to be able to send a location or an address to it, since address search is a bit inaccurate on the OSM maps and also typing in the address on the device itself is a pain. :)

Back
Top Bottom