OpenStreetMap, what’s the latest….

Wapping

Reaction score
What’s bods’ latest favourite site to easily download and install reasonably up-to-date, routable OpenStreetMap from?

Thank you.

I'll just tag along, if that's OK! :augie

Also to add that a pal has had success getting maps from here ... https://www.userbeam.de/ However, I've tried and although the gmapsupp file downloads OK, it will not open via Garmin mapping software!

I'll just tag along, if that's OK! :augie

Also to add that a pal has had success getting maps from here ... https://www.userbeam.de/ However, I've tried and although the gmapsupp file downloads OK, it will not open via Garmin mapping software!

gmail.supp is for loading into a device only, it won’t open in Basecamp without the device attached, and only then if the map header is set to “visible in Basecamp”

gmail.supp is for loading into a device only, it won’t open in Basecamp without the device attached, and only then if the map header is set to “visible in Basecamp”

Thanks for that. The gmapsupp files have been transferred to the data card in the Zumo 550 but no sign of them when I fire it up. It may well be an issue with my laptop but I'll get together with my pal at some point and check things out.

It will.
on an SD card/ USB, make a directory called Garmin. Put the map .img files in it.
The maps will show up in the LH pane under Memory Card (x) where x is the drive letter.

Thanks for that. The gmapsupp files have been transferred to the data card in the Zumo 550 but no sign of them when I fire it up. It may well be an issue with my laptop but I'll get together with my pal at some point and check things out.

Try taking the card out and putting it in a card reader, then see where the map is located. It should be in a folder called Garmin. If it isn’t, then create one and move the gmapsupp file to it.

Also, ensure you don’t overwrite any of your existing maps. Garmin always calls maps gmapsupp so if you download a new map to a card that already has gmapsupp on it will overwrite, for that reason I always download new maps to a clean card in a card reader. You can then use Javawa to rename them, including the display name. You can also rename the img file to UKOSM or some such to distinguish the new map.

If you still don’t see them it’s likely that the flag in the map is set to “not visible in Basecamp.

If you have a Windows pc or pre 64 bit MacOS you can use Javawa Device Manager to set the flag to “display in basecamp”.

https://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s bods’ latest favourite site to easily download and install reasonably up-to-date, routable OpenStreetMap from?

Thank you.

I did put a list up, on one of my threads here, I think. I will try to find it.

So, an update! I've solved the issue, I think? It would appear that the unit (550 or indeed any Garmin unit) will only recognise ONE gmapsupp file. I'm not quite sure why that is or how it decides which one but it does seem to be the case. I tried changing the name of the file, removing the gmapsupp suffix and downloaded another gmapsupp to the card and bingo, there it was!

Is there a way round this? Yes, you could take a lap top with you and faff about changing the names of the various files as you need them (or use an internet caff) but I suspect there's a simpler way?

Is there a way round this? Yes, you could take a lap top with you and faff about changing the names of the various files as you need them (or use an internet caff) but I suspect there's a simpler way?

gmapsupp will always overwrite an existing gmapsupp. You could use gmapsup1 through 9 or just give them meaningful names within the 8.3 limitation.

So, an update! I've solved the issue, I think? It would appear that the unit (550 or indeed any Garmin unit) will only recognise ONE gmapsupp file. I'm not quite sure why that is or how it decides which one but it does seem to be the case. I tried changing the name of the file, removing the gmapsupp suffix and downloaded another gmapsupp to the card and bingo, there it was!

Yes, I answered that question in post #9, where I also mentioned not to download another gmapsupp as it will overwrite it. Just rename the file

I did just that on a trip a few years ago Pete. I had a 10" notebook with several different files saved on the desktop for each of the different countries we were to ride through. The maps overlap borders by a few miles so there was no great urgency to stop right at the frontier, but it only took a few minutes over a cup of tea to load the mapping for the next country. A bit of a faff to some perhaps but it worked for me.

I just switch the micro sd cards.
On my 60csx I have standard open street maps for road navigation, and then a different set of (non routable) topo maps for greenlaning. Use the first SD to be routed to the starting point of the lanes, switch micro SD and use the tracks on the other maps offroad. Switch again to get back home.

Spare card sits in the battery compartment.

I am not quite sure I understand this, Peter. I have separate Open Street Maps of the whole of France, German and Benelux on my Nav V, VI and XT all together on one single micro-SD card in each device. I simply go into the installed maps and select the country map I want. I installed each country’s map onto the single micro-SD card with Map Installer. As I don’t know one end of a PC / Mac from another, it must have been easy to do.

That seems too simple an answer, so I guess I’ve misunderstood something?

I am not quite sure I understand this, Peter. I have separate Open Street Maps of the whole of France, German and Benelux on my Nav V, VI and XT all together on one single micro-SD card in each device. I simply go into the installed maps and select the country map I want. I installed each country’s map onto the single micro-SD card with Map Installer. As I don’t know one end of a PC / Mac from another, it must have been easy to do.

That seems too simple an answer, so I guess I’ve misunderstood something?

Do the file names have the gmapsupp.img suffix, Richard?

Do the file names have the gmapsupp.img suffix, Richard?

Good question….

gmapsupp is not a suffix, its a filename, only the suffix, the file extension, matters in this case.

The later NTU maps are too large for the 4gb limit, so are spit into 2 files - north/south. Both files can be loaded concurrently Both will have different names.

Back
Top Bottom