Pedals and cleats

AdrianS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For some reason I've had a couple of "offs" due to my SDP SL cleats sticking and not removing easily despite them being clean and looking relatively unworn.
I used to use the standard SPD cleats even on my road bike but prefer the SL bases.
I havent got any experience of any other systems. Are they all much of a muchness or are some easier to unclip in an emergency? I did look at the Look system as they get good reviews. .......Or should I just get pedals and toe straps because I'm not as agile as I used to be!

This is a bit like answering 'What saddle?' It's so subjective.

Taking everything into account, I would go back to standard SPDs. You probably know all of this but you can back the 'grip' of SPDs right off until they are an absolute doddle to get in and out of. I use mine every day in heavy stop/start traffic and I've never had a problem unclipping. PERSONALLY, I would much prefer SPDs to toe clips.

Have you had a look at 'Speedplay?' I've no experience but they're another option.

Put some oil on the springs, I had a pair of Shimano SPD pedals for donkeys years never oiled them at all then one day I ended up ripping the sole off a shoe trying to get out of them. Thought they were feked, but all it took was a drop of oil on the springs to loosen them up.
MTB type pedals

Can't comment on Shimano. Have been using Crank Brothers on both trail and downhill bike for years.
They never, ever jam. When new cleats are fitted to shoes, depending on which way round they are fitted, removal angle is either 5 or 15 degrees. I use 5.
The first time I started using cleats, my then 4 year old Granddaughter had discovered a new word. "Weird"
That's what they were. Next day, they were normal.

I’ve always used Look basics on my road bikes and wind them off from new. Unless you are putting out serious wattage the tension isn’t needed. On my adventure bike I have spd flipflops with a std flat pedal on the other side so can use trainers if popping up the shops etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i've got some double sided pedals on a hybrid bike so I can use trainers or spd cleats. I am more concerned about the road bike pedals.

Yes i've got some double sided pedals on a hybrid bike so I can use trainers or spd cleats. I am more concerned about the road bike pedals.

No experience of anything other than SPD SL. As another user above has said, give it a good wash and some oil in the springs and it should make it easier to take off and on. Ease off the spring a bit as well (screw at the rear of the pedal) and that should also help.

Can't comment on Shimano. Have been using Crank Brothers on both trail and downhill bike for years.
They never, ever jam. When new cleats are fitted to shoes, depending on which way round they are fitted, removal angle is either 5 or 15 degrees. I use 5.
The first time I started using cleats, my then 4 year old Granddaughter had discovered a new word. "Weird"
That's what they were. Next day, they were normal.

+1 for Crank Bros, far superior to SPD IMHO

I used to use Look Keo pedals/clips I think they were/are called, never had an issue with them, spd always on mtb.

Just for a bit of variety, I've used Time ATAC pedals for over 20 years, got them on all 4 bikes. Never had an issue. (got fed up with the road shoe hobble so ride with some touring type shoes and the hidden metal cleat in the sole)

No experience of anything other than SPD SL. As another user above has said, give it a good wash and some oil in the springs and it should make it easier to take off and on. Ease off the spring a bit as well (screw at the rear of the pedal) and that should also help.

What he said, did any one read the OP post?

If you’re riding off-road I’d avoid the likes of Look Keo and the equivalent Shimano 3 bolt cleat design. SPDs are much more tolerant of mud and gravel. Wash and lube first, pedals and shoe and cleats, it costs nothing and might be all that’s needed. I’m assuming you have backed off the spring tension?

I've used Look and SPD Shimano ones. I found that the Look pedals required a much wider outward movement to disengage. And my ageing joints meant almost standing up to move ankle outward enough to disengage, or doing so on the down stroke.

OP. What colour are your SPD cleats , different colours have different “float “ I’d recommend the yellow. Your pedals if 105 or Ultegra will have an adjusting screw were you can also adjust the float to snap out easier. These cost a little more than std SPD but are much better pedals for road bikes

I’ve got the yellow cleats. I am aware that they have got the most lateral movement but I am comfortable with them . I have never considered that the cleats with less movement may be easier to release.
I run the pedals with the adjustments backed off and religiously clean the pedals. I am finding that it feels I have to snap the cleats out of the pedals. I am still wondering if it’s an age problem!

I’ve got the yellow cleats. I am aware that they have got the most lateral movement but I am comfortable with them . I have never considered that the cleats with less movement may be easier to release.
I run the pedals with the adjustments backed off and religiously clean the pedals. I am finding that it feels I have to snap the cleats out of the pedals. I am still wondering if it’s an age problem!

Worth checking if the cleats are original Shimano or cheap Chinese knockoffs. Had this issue with a Chinese knockoff. Switching to originals got rid of the difficult unclipping issue.

Worth checking if the cleats are original Shimano or cheap Chinese knockoffs. Had this issue with a Chinese knockoff. Switching to originals got rid of the difficult unclipping issue.

I would echo the above, also you mention they are new. New SL’s are always snappier to disengage when new , but being soft plastic the wear edges wear down. Do you have any old Yellow SL cleats, if so just try swapping one side over and compare. I run yellow SL’s and find engagement and disengagement easy.

So in summary
1) Are the Shimano originals
2) Compare you new ones with an old on one side.

If that doesnt work and you have already had two offs I would personally be switching over to MTB pedals and shoes always remembering to check you seat height as the two stles of pedals result in different saddle pedal deck lengths.

Speedplay pedals ( now owned by Wahoo) are good if you have knee issues as the cleat is in the shoe and affords lots of lateral movement. Look pedals are virtually identical to SL’s in fact you would struggle to tell them apart.

For a long time I have been using Shimano SPD MTB shoes and cleats both for road and off road bikes, and wouldn't consider anything else now.

Never had any problem whatsoever and plenty of lateral movement to keep knees happy.

Big plus I think is that the cleats are recessed in the shoes which makes walking in them a pleasure. I suspect that more injuries are caused by slipping over whilst walking with road SPDs than from actually falling off the bike ... !

For a long time I have been using Shimano SPD MTB shoes and cleats both for road and off road bikes, and wouldn't consider anything else now.

Never had any problem whatsoever and plenty of lateral movement to keep knees happy.

Big plus I think is that the cleats are recessed in the shoes which makes walking in them a pleasure. I suspect that more injuries are caused by slipping over whilst walking with road SPDs than from actually falling off the bike ... !

This ^^^^^^^^ I have a lovely pair of carbon soled Shimano SL road shoes, which probably give me another 1% going up hills. But their performance advantage pales into insignificance when you get to a coffee or pub stop, where you end up walking like Max Wall. MTB spds on all my bikes 5 in total.

I also agree with all of this. I've used Shimano SL, Look and SPD MTB shoes. I found the Look and SLs occasionally were hard to release, Look probably more than SPD SL. I have never had a single problem with the MTB ones, they put up with enormous abuse and have just the right amount of float. I snapped my derailleur off the week before last and had to walk the couple of miles home. It was fine in SPD MTB shoes - in Look or SPD SL it would have been very uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom