Computer network/server/email help please

karlp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am just starting up another business and need some advice on email etc.

The majority of the important computer applications are specific instrument based so they run on a computer attached to the instrument (Windows 10 based).
I interact with these from home via Teamviewer although looking at another called Remote PC.
I have broadband in the company building - BT which has a single email account (this is not currently actually used).

There will be 4-5 of us in total so we need an email address which is company based -so essentially. xxxx@mycompany.co.uk

I need to use word and excel maybe access later on.
I do not want to setup a dedicated server so would like to setup a disk array (something like synology raid setup ) to store data that can be accessed by all.
I need to get the company web address which is easy enough but this is my main issue.

I need to setup email for all
It would be good to sync these emails accross my three devices (phone, iPad, computer) - this goes for everyone else.
So I have looked at Microsoft exchange - but do I need a dedicated server for this or can it be online with say BT.
If I go with Office 365 there seems to be a number of versions

Any help appreciated

Office365?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just starting up another business and need some advice on email etc.

The majority of the important computer applications are specific instrument based so they run on a computer attached to the instrument (Windows 10 based).
I interact with these from home via Teamviewer although looking at another called Remote PC.
I have broadband in the company building - BT which has a single email account (this is not currently actually used).

There will be 4-5 of us in total so we need an email address which is company based -so essentially. xxxx@mycompany.co.uk

I need to use word and excel maybe access later on.
I do not want to setup a dedicated server so would like to setup a disk array (something like synology raid setup ) to store data that can be accessed by all.
I need to get the company web address which is easy enough but this is my main issue.

It would be good to sync these emails accross my three devices (phone, iPad, computer) - this goes for everyone else.
So I have looked at Microsoft exchange - but do I need a dedicated server for this or can it be online with say BT.

Any help appreciated

Microsoft 365 Business is what I would recommend. at £9.40 per user per month, Microsoft 365 Business Standard should work for you. comes with 1TB.

If you don't mind me asking - what is the need for the disk array setup? Why not use OneDrive? It keeps all data synched across devices. As you are on Windows computers, IMO, Microsoft 365 will work the best for you.

So specifically on your needs:
>>> Possible.
>>> Yup, applications available across all platforms.
>>> Too many overheads to setup an exchange server for just 5 people.
>>> Business Standard - and then you can buy storage as required (Business basics does not provide desktop versions of applications).

Agree 100% with the above…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^

what he says, you can assign and unassign users... store everyone stuff on one drive in a folder structure and it's all good... google docs can be handy as well.... cos loads of folks can work on one sreadsheet at a time as it's live to view and use...

Hi all

Thanks for the advice - just what I need.

With regards then disk array and one drive.

Some of the files from the instruments can be quite large and I need them to be secure for about 4-5 years - so I assumed local storage

We are trying One drive at present - but it is on a personal account rather than 365.

Is the business version good for multiple people access and can it be made to be ‘always attached’ rather than having to login every time.

Yes, and yes! OneDrive syncs continually and you have the option to keep a copy locally.

Sent using Tapatalk

With the business packages you also get Teams, and can create a “Team” site to host and share files.

Thanks for all the help

I was going to get the domain name via BT - that is who I have the broadband with.
Then looking at the info above get the Office 365 and link it to the BT

The other service providers I have tried in the past are IONOS

Are these good , bad or any others that are easy to setup

Thanks

Karl

Use GoDaddy for my personal domain, and FastHosts for business.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hi all

Some of the files from the instruments can be quite large and I need them to be secure for about 4-5 years - so I assumed local storage

How large? Regularly sync large media files - close to 30GB. Edit it, leave it, and it keeps things in sync automatically.

Is the business version good for multiple people access and can it be made to be ‘always attached’ rather than having to login every time.

Yes. Don't need to login repeatedly to trusted devices and can also be managed centrally on disconnecting all/specific devices, if you lose any of them. Use two-factor authentication to increase security.

On Teams - one way to look at Teams is a front end to SharePoint, which in itself is a very powerful tool and Teams/SharePoint, combined with OneDrive, help to keep all teams and files in sync.

Hi

My files are not that big - so if you can use it then it will work for me.

My current broadband has one email address

When I get 365 and get 5 licenses do I need to get additional email addresses on my current broadband or will it work ok. I am assuming I need to get additional email address with the broadband for each member of the group.
In my previous company I had 50 employees and it used Microsoft exchange and a dedicated server but we used an IT company to manage it.
This time I want a simpler setup

U just need the domain, point the MX-records to O365, and create the mailboxes there!!

Sent using Tapatalk

Like others have said, Microsoft 365 is the way to go, buy and register a domain with GoDaddy for convenience then add it as a custom domain to your M365, you can buy and add additional licenses on 365 business up to 300 after that you are an “enterprise”.

Depending on which M365 license you come in at, you can even include what used to be ATP (now defender for endpoint, 365 etc) and device management.

You can setup Known Folder Move and auto redirect documents / pictures etc to OneDrive for business and you get between one and five TB of storage per licensed user, depending on the license (you can mix and match now)

You can use Teams or even simpler M365 groups which have their own OneDrive for business storage, shared mailbox, calendar etc.

Again depending on the license you buy, you can use compliance settings to automatically archive and retain data for periods of time, when it reaches age X auto delete or send for disposition for you to approve it.

Some of it can sound quite complex but in reality it’s not to hard to get a handle on, and there are lots of new and interesting features in the pipeline. You even have, again depending on license level, Kaizala which is in essence WhatsApp for Microsoft 365 with secure encrypted messaging, sharing etc.

Microsoft 365 is essentially a bundle, that includes (typically) Windows Licenses, Office 365, and Mobility / security.

Back
Top Bottom