Out of warranty claims

GSite

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has experience of mechanical or electrical problems on Enfields outside the 2 year (now 3 year) manufacturers warranty ? Was the dealer or UK importer Moto GB helpful or willing to assist with the cost of parts, labour or both for a bike with full Enfield dealer service history ?

Just pre-empting responses from those who like to challenge, please don't jump on me for asking with comments like "why would you expect something for free outside warranty" not expecting it, just want some insight.
Many thanks

You have statutory rights above and beyond the manufacturers warranty.
How old is the bike?

Thought of the sale of goods act under fitness for purpose and of merchantable quality - mates bike is 2yrs and 10 months. Mine is just on 2 years, no issues but just wondering about the future given said mate's experience. He had the bike serviced rather than doing it himself, in the hope of showing loyalty to the brand and if anything did go wrong he may get some help, but apprently not. At the time I thought this to be a flawed rationale and that he should save the cash.

What’s actually wrong? How helpful or otherwise have the dealer importer been? JJH

Thought of the sale of goods act under fitness for purpose and of merchantable quality - mates bike is 2yrs and 10 months. Mine is just on 2 years, no issues but just wondering about the future given said mate's experience. He had the bike serviced rather than doing it himself, in the hope of showing loyalty to the brand and if anything did go wrong he may get some help, but apprently not. At the time I thought this to be a flawed rationale and that he should save the cash.

My experience is with trucks and as far as fit for purpose/merchantable quality we were told by the legal bods that 6 months was about as far as that could go due to the variables under the control of the owner/operator.

That being said no dealer/manufacturer wants to go to court and have a judge apply his own thoughts on how he would feel if his pride and joy was needing serious money spent when just out of warranty and he was left to take all the pain.

My advice would be to stay calm and try to get to the MD or owner of the UK importer and explain why you feel hard done by and only take it further if you feel that you can’t resolve it nicely and their position is really unreasonable.

Mate's bike has done 7000 miles, owned from new and serviced by supplying dealer on the dot. Electrical gremlins such as relays, oil leaks from head, steering head bearings need relacement (not power washed) engine rattles beyond what you would expect from valves being out of adjustment. Feels the bike is "storing" up trouble and is trying to decide if he should move it on, labour it with the importer who has not been helpful or sort the issues himself. Have not seen the bike myself as he is a distance away so cannot comment on the severity of the oil leak(s) engine rattling or nocthiness of head bearings etc.

Personally I am just wondering if I would get any assitance if mine was to have problems, so Just wanting a rounded veiw on how helpful or not folk have found the UK importer and the dealer network in resolving issues outside the standard warranty period.

The UK importer has no liability outside of the warranty they issue. This is a contract with terms and conditions the buyer signs up to.

Any claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (replaced SOGA) can only be made against the original retailer by the original buyer.

Buyers of used bikes have some CRA rights as well but not the issue here and not against BMW.

I have only had one problem out of warranty and it was dealt with quite well, but was many years ago. The rear calliper corroded on my R1150GS at 3 years and BMW agreed to subsidise the cost of a new one. 2 year warranty back then.

I think a lot depends on the dealer and there is probably an attitude test as well.

Yes, I too have had out of warranty ex-gratia gestures again from BMW who were great.
In this case I feel mate is on his own and am fully aware that the importer has no liability.
Has anyone experience of such a situation with Moto GB the Enfield importer supporting the dealer to resolve an out of warranty issue in the same way that BMW UK can support their dealers ?

When you are dealing with MotoGB good luck with out of warranty claims. I have no experience of such a thing but if it came
to it i wouldn't even bother them as the experiences i have had with them leave me with the impression i wouldn't get anywhere.

Other, possibly more positive experiences, as always, are available i have no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom